586,096 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Questions Wiring Up Servo/Gecko

Hello all,

having spent much more time than I expected on the mechanical opart of an IH mill conversion I'm finally ready to wire up my controller. This is my first servo system.

I have three each:
    KL34-170-90 850 Oz servo motors
    Gecko G340 drives
    US Digital: E5S-500-250-EG-PKG2
    CA-3131 Connector

I'm using a KL- 7220 power supply.

1. The KL34-170-90 has a black, red, and green wire. Green is Ground, White is +, Black is Common. I assume the white wire is Arm + (terminal 3)and black is Arm -(terminal 4). Where does the green ground wire go?

2. Are all 5 wires from the encoder used? Where does the green index wire go?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.
    Rick in Washington

some answers

1. The KL34-170-90 has a black, red, and green wire. Green is Ground, White is +, Black is Common. I assume the white wire is Arm + (terminal 3)and black is Arm -(terminal 4). Where does the green ground wire go?
    Green ground should run back to your control cabinet's ground bus/point.
    2. Are all 5 wires from the encoder used? Where does the green index wire go?
    You'll just need 4 wires for your Gecko servo loop, +/- power and a/b single ended signal. The index is not used for your Gecko servo loop. It can be used for a highly repeatable homing signal, but don't worry about that now.

Thanks 123cnc

I hooked up my parallel cabel turned on the power and tried to get the motor to move. I hadn't changed my Mach 3 motor tuning from the previous stepper settings. I assumed the only difference would be the amount of movement for a given signal.

The Gecko was in fault until I reduced the "limit." Until reducing it the motor would spin (pulse) on its own first one way then the other. It wouldn't respond to jogging either before or after adjusting the "limit" down.

I'm just at the beginning of the wiring and tuning process, but it sure would have been nice if it just worked the first time.

Any ideas?

next step...

First, I'm assuming you are bench testing, or at a minimum do not have the servo physically engaged with their respective axis/load, e.g. drive belt removed.

Generally speaking when dealing with servo loops you'll want to verify your encoders are working, live signal and proper direction. Next you would want to tune the amplifier and then the controller. Then check proper operation of limits, physical and software, and check e-stop.

Then your ready to test the system with drives engaged.

Follow the 320 manual for tuning the drive. They describe both a multimeter and an oscilloscope approach to tuning.

Servo's require a little more caution then steppers. Although the 320 should fault out quickly if you have something wrong. If the encoder is opposite the step/dir signal the servo will start to move and stop when it hits the 128 count (IIRC, actual # may be different) off of target. In other words if you send a step/dir to move clockwise and the encoder is reading counterclockwise, the servo will turn briefly until the following error is hit. You would need to either swap the encoder a/b wires, the servo's white+/black-, or change the active low/high for dir in Mach. Any one of the three. This is why bench testing is recommended, even when you think you know what will happen.

Thanks,

I am bench testing the motor. I'll follow your guidance and test again this morning.

Does it matter if the other two drives are in fault mode while I test a single motor?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
    Thanks,

I am bench testing the motor. I'll follow your guidance and test again this morning.

Does it matter if the other two drives are in fault mode while I test a single motor?

Rick
    It shouldn't make a difference as long as the error signal is not wired to the estop circuit. I would as a matter of course disconnect the 2 unused drives/motors and have on connected at a time. This way it will prevent any accidents. I have only bench tested my g320s and it is not that hard to do. Print out the directions from gecko and take your time.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Agreed

I agree with Mike. The other 2 drives connected in fault shouldn't effect you unless youv'e tied the err/res (terminal 5) into your control scheme. And, disconnecting the other 2 and working one loop at a time is a prudent move as well. This method may help you cut your teeth with 1/3 the risk (assuming we learn from are mistakes and don't just say, wow those sparks, flames, and smoke were cool...I wonder if I could do that again.)

I would even go so far as to suggest swapping a/b and verify results, swap white+/black- and verify, change software high/low and verify...etc.
    Confirm for yourself and grasp a better understanding on the first motor of cause and effect. Some people prefer to have the wiring consistent across all three axis and make all the 'difference' settings in the software. Others may prefer software all alike, hardware changes for differences (think +/- direction of z on a knee mill and ballscrew direction of motion cw/ccw as compared to +/- on x/y).

I think I have experienced a $360 failure.

Drive 1: The problem I was having earlier was that the motor leads needed to be reversed. I checked all the wiring many times for proper polarity, connection points, etc. I finally switched the polarity of the red and black motor wires to red ARM- and black ARM+ and the motor seemed to work fine. It was pretty cool watching the motor respond back to its proper position when I tried to turn the shaft.

Drive 2: I moved on to the next controller and experienced some arcing at the power ground (terminal 1). Still have 5 volts at the test point and big blue cap, but the motor doesn't do anything witht he encoder pluged in or not.

Drive 3: Appears dead. No voltage at the test point and the fault light does not turn on.

Drive 1 Again: Fault light works, but doesn't go out. Motor doesn't do anything at all.

It occurred to me that with $360 for Gecko drivers, close to $200 for a power supply, $70 for a breakout board, that I might have been nearer to the cost of a package servo controller than I previously thought. At least I was hoping so because this exercise was getting old fast.

I plan to call Gecko Monday to check my options. Meanwhile anyone want to provide suggestions?

Exclamation Don't switch the dc power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
    I think I have experienced a $360 failure.

Drive 1: The problem I was having earlier was that the motor leads needed to be reversed. I checked all the wiring many times for proper polarity, connection points, etc. I finally switched the polarity of the red and black motor wires to red ARM- and black ARM+ and the motor seemed to work fine. It was pretty cool watching the motor respond back to its proper position when I tried to turn the shaft.

Drive 2: I moved on to the next controller and experienced some arcing at the power ground (terminal 1). Still have 5 volts at the test point and big blue cap, but the motor doesn't do anything witht he encoder pluged in or not.

Drive 3: Appears dead. No voltage at the test point and the fault light does not turn on.

Drive 1 Again: Fault light works, but doesn't go out. Motor doesn't do anything at all.

It occurred to me that with $360 for Gecko drivers, close to $200 for a power supply, $70 for a breakout board, that I might have been nearer to the cost of a package servo controller than I previously thought. At least I was hoping so because this exercise was getting old fast.

I plan to call Gecko Monday to check my options. Meanwhile anyone want to provide suggestions?

From what you are describing, you were using the power connections on the gecko's to go from one to the others and back again. This is the same thing as switching the dc power on and off. A big no-no.
    The drives are repairable if I remeber correctly, but the call to gecko will tell you for sure.

Mike

No. Nothing that reckless. The common on drive 2 came loose while I was testing. I had all three drives hooked uop at the time.

The lesson learned - test one drive at a time.

mtk Guest

servo package

Is there someone that has a servo package out there. I called Gecko but just drives. They do not support differential encoders wich I have. Can someone help with some input here.

Question What to do with differential encoders?

Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    Is there someone that has a servo package out there. I called Gecko but just drives. They do not support differential encoders wich I have. Can someone help with some input here.
    If you want to actually use the differential encoder you can do a couple of things. One is to get a chip that decodes the differential signals at the drive and converts them to single ended which the Gecko accepts. This way you get the benifits of the differential encoders and can still use the Gecko drives.

You could also use just the a and b signals and ignore the a prime and b prime signals and use it as a single ended encoder.

The third option is to go with something like the control box that I am using on my retro fit. That is of course if you are using +-10v analog drives.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66994

The DSPMC/IP directly takes the analog signal and closes the loop and reads the encoder position back in Mach3.

If you don't have servo drives at all then you could consider step and direction drives from AMC or Copley that handle differential encoders.

There are more options but it depends on exactly what you have and what you want to do.

Mike

Check out the Viper drives. www.viperservo.com
    They work great with Keling motors, and also take differential encoders. They are about the same price as G340's

Before hooking up any more drives though, take you time and get 1 working at a time.

BTW, How many volts is your powersupply ?

Are you running the 34-170-90's ?

mtk Guest
    Mike , Thanks for the input. I got this machine from the govt. no controlls. Its a gantry 5axis about a 300 lbs gantry, a u axis on the z axis that swivels 90 degrees and a 360 on the base. Anyhow it has 5 axis. I would like to be able to make 3 axis work. Gecko said I could buy different encoders for 50.00 a piece. These are Aerotech motors 80vdc two wire with tachometer and a Lucac Ledex encoder. Looking for the right dirrection to go for controlls.

Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    Mike , Thanks for the input. I got this machine from the govt. no controlls. Its a gantry 5axis about a 300 lbs gantry, a u axis on the z axis that swivels 90 degrees and a 360 on the base. Anyhow it has 5 axis. I would like to be able to make 3 axis work. Gecko said I could buy different encoders for 50.00 a piece. These are Aerotech motors 80vdc two wire with tachometer and a Lucac Ledex encoder. Looking for the right dirrection to go for controlls.
    The first order of buisness is exactly what is the power supply voltage? If it is over 80v DC you will either have to change the power supply to below 80v to run the gecko's or decide on what you want to get for an interface.

The Renco encoders on ebay are $20 each are single ended and work real well. I am using several of them on my mill with a single to differential converter chip as my control takes differential input.

If you are below the 80v g320/340s will suite you fine. You can use a smooth stepper to drive the Geckos and have a fine running system.

Do you have any servo amps or anything else other than the machine and the servo motors?
    Of coure if you have nothing other than the machine and the motors, then there are a lot of options open to you.