586,075 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Anyone sell an Enclosure for the Mill
Page 1 of 2 12

Anyone sell an Enclosure for the Mill

I want to purchase a Enclosure for my Taig Mill, I know I can make one but barely have time to make parts, Plus I want it Nice if you know what I mean

I seen IM services makes one but its not wide enough for the Table to go side to side..

There's a guy with an interesting blog at http://www.nyccnc.com who has a real nice enclosure that I believe he purchased from http://www.lococnc.com

link to his enclosure:
    http://www.nyccnc.com/Herbie/HERBIES..._is_done!.html

Good luck

Don

I'm doing this as well but I'm still in pencil sketch mode at this point.

Will you be doing a coolant setup?

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    I'm doing this as well but I'm still in pencil sketch mode at this point.

Will you be doing a coolant setup?

Dave
    Yes using a pond pump...

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    There's a guy with an interesting blog at http://www.nyccnc.com who has a real nice enclosure that I believe he purchased from http://www.lococnc.com

link to his enclosure:
    http://www.nyccnc.com/Herbie/HERBIES..._is_done!.html

Good luck

Don
    I went to the lococnc site but did not see any,,sent them an email

Quote Originally Posted by cnccustom View Post
    I seen IM services makes one but its not wide enough for the Table to go side to side..
    What size do you need to fit a Taig?

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.imsrv.com

The one I was after was 30" High X 26" deep, X 42" width.

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by imserv View Post
    What size do you need to fit a Taig?

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.imsrv.com
    We need 42 inches wide for the Taig

as fretsman says 30" High X 26" deep, X 42" width would be perfect

Lightbulb

The one I was after was 30" High X 26" deep, X 42" width.

Dave
    We could do it in the 5 sided, plexi, with aluminum T-slot frame.

Similar to this:36W x 24D x 24H enclosure

Your size is probably too big for a top hinged door. A vertical slider would probably be better. Would that work?

Flood coolant might be a problem, but if you put the enlcosure on a non-porous tabletop, you could seal around the inside frame with RTV, and install a drain hole. With a mister, you might need to install some windshield wipers

Fred Smith - IMService

after some searching I will make my own with 80/20 material and 1/4 inch coroplast for the sides and back ,plexi glass front doors, Thinking of leaving the top open , not sure yet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imserv View Post
    We could do it in the 5 sided, plexi, with aluminum T-slot frame.

Similar to this:36W x 24D x 24H enclosure

Your size is probably too big for a top hinged door. A vertical slider would probably be better. Would that work?

Flood coolant might be a problem, but if you put the enlcosure on a non-porous tabletop, you could seal around the inside frame with RTV, and install a drain hole. With a mister, you might need to install some windshield wipers

Fred Smith - IMService

Thanks, Fred, I'll give you a shout when I get closer to doing this if I don't end up doing it on my own-

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by cnccustom View Post
    after some searching I will make my own with 80/20 material and 1/4 inch coroplast for the sides and back ,plexi glass front doors, Thinking of leaving the top open , not sure yet

Thanks
    If your going to run flood coolant don't leave the top open. On my first enclosure I was running flood coolant at up to 4gpm.

Depending on the part geometry, tool speed, and flow rate, the coolant would easily spray up to the height of motor, sometimes higher. When I disassembled the enclosure the top panel was covered in dried up coolant (I run water based KoolMist 77). Granted I've had some rather unusual setups on my mill but in your case I'd still suggest taking the "better safe than sorry" approach

OK, I have to ask, 4 GPM and 8 (yes eight) nozzles? Perhaps a bit of overkill? What are you cutting?

Unless you are cooling your coolant I would think that your putting as much or more heat into it through the pump as what your making with the tool. As a point of comparison, I built a small testbed for a research group here at the university. It constantly recirculates 20 gallons of water at about 10 GPM through 1" pipe. After 2-3 hours the water temp is near 150 deg F.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    OK, I have to ask, 4 GPM and 8 (yes eight) nozzles? Perhaps a bit of overkill? What are you cutting?

Unless you are cooling your coolant I would think that your putting as much or more heat into it through the pump as what your making with the tool. As a point of comparison, I built a small testbed for a research group here at the university. It constantly recirculates 20 gallons of water at about 10 GPM through 1" pipe. After 2-3 hours the water temp is near 150 deg F.
    It's a fair question, maybe this will clear it up for you...

My mill is setup to be used as both a CNC mill, and a gang tool lathe. It only takes about 2 minutes to switch between setups. 7 of the nozzles are mounted on the gang tool lathe setup's coolant manifold. This allows me to adjust the coolant pressure/flowrate and angle for each turning tool involved in the process. When this picture was taken I was still waiting for another pack of nozzles to arrive hence there's a few missing. When the taig is being used as a CNC mill it has 2 nozzles attached (only 1 is attached in the pictures) to a coolant manifold on the spindle. Coolant is useless unless it is getting to the cutting interface between the end mill and the part. With the pressure/flow rate my system provides, I'm able to adjust the location and pressure/flow rate of the coolant nozzles to suit the particular part being made.

For example; With only 1 coolant nozzle, flooding the tool from it's right hand side, when cutting from left to right into the side of a block, the coolant will be blocked from the actual cutting area of the endmill by the top surface of the block. While this does cool the work piece, the cooling system is failing in it's primary purpose to lubricate the interface between the shearing material and the cutting tool.

So in short more nozzles provide more options for proper cooling, lubrication, and chip removal.

Also the pump in use is a non-contact vane design (essentially a pond pump), my best guess is that the pump you used for that experiment was a centrifugal pump coupled to a decent sized motor? Also the pump itself is fully submerged in 5 gallons of coolant, increasing the surface area related to heat transfer significantly. Thus far just based on observation, the coolant remains just above room temperature when in operation, even after long 6-8 hour programs in 6061.

You gave me a good idea for new enclosure i'm working on now though. Adding a force convection cooling system on the high pressure side of the pump would help drop the temp. Thanks, it was something that had not crossed my mind.

Ah! That explains a lot. My own preference might be two use one or two longer nozzles pointed up at the workpiece (but hitting tip of tool), I'm glad you found a solution that works for you though. More than one way to skin a cat and all that.

my best guess is that the pump you used for that experiment was a centrifugal pump coupled to a decent sized motor? ..snip...Thus far just based on observation, the coolant remains just above room temperature when in operation, even after long 6-8 hour programs in 6061.
    Yes it is a centrifugal pump, as that is the pump design they needed to test, as I recall it is only a 0.5~1hp motor. I would be interested the measures temperature of your current set up, compared to when you add a cooler. One easy solution would be to find a used Miller tig-torch cooler. They are about the size of a small six-pack sized igloo cooler. They have a built in pump, fan and radiator.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    I would be interested the measures temperature of your current set up, compared to when you add a cooler. One easy solution would be to find a used Miller tig-torch cooler. They are about the size of a small six-pack sized igloo cooler. They have a built in pump, fan and radiator.
    Well I'll be using the pump I already have, it's worked outstanding thus far and is robust enough to handle small particulate in the coolant. I was thinking about using something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835108098
    coupled with 3 x 120mm fans, it should be sufficient to maintain the flow rates and further cool the fluid. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how I'm going to filter the coolant to remove all of the swarf and particulate so that it does not enter the radiator.

Didn't you used to have a video on youtube for the gang set up on the Taig mill? I bet that would've helped iilustrate what you were trying to convey with your coolant setup.

Always loved that one

Dave
    Dave->..

Didn't you used to have a video on youtube for the gang set up on the Taig mill? I bet that would've helped iilustrate what you were trying to convey with your coolant setup.

Always loved that one

Dave
    Yup I sure do:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2AcT_rJig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2AcT_rJig[/ame]

This was one of the bigger reasons why I'm upgrading my taig now with larger steppers, a new controller, ball screws, etc... The slow rapid and feed speeds have finally gotten to me and I want more

Quote Originally Posted by Anokiernan View Post
    This was one of the bigger reasons why I'm upgrading my taig now with larger steppers, a new controller, ball screws, etc... The slow rapid and feed speeds have finally gotten to me and I want more
    I'd love to hear about your experiences upgrading the Taig with ball screws when you get around to it. I'm happy with the setup the way it is now, but I can see wanting more eventually

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmanning View Post
    I'd love to hear about your experiences upgrading the Taig with ball screws when you get around to it. I'm happy with the setup the way it is now, but I can see wanting more eventually

Chris
    I'll certainly do so, I'm actually taking the taig apart right now to measure some of the features. It's looking quite doable to me, has anyone done this before? I haven't been able to find any others who have converted the taig to ball screws. Granted it will be only a marginal increase in performance over the 1/2-20 leadscrews with preloaded nuts, it will increase rapid speeds outrageously while maintaining or even improving the thrust capabilities and repeatability using 425 oz/in steppers.

Page 1 of 2 12