586,588 active members*
2,744 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > HF 9x20, can the tailstock be converted CNC? Done XY already.

HF 9x20, can the tailstock be converted CNC? Done XY already.

I have converted the Z and X axis of my HF lathe and I'm tired of peck drilling by hand, anyone accomplish this before? I could not even get the fly wheel off the tailstock.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 001.jpg   Picture 002.jpg  

Just as a thought, why not make a tool holder for a chuck and use the saddle to drill. From looking at several others on this site, that seems to be the way they do it and it should be quite a bit simpler and easier to do?
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I found an mt3 tool holder that has a dovetail mount:

http://grizzly.com/products/Morse-Ta...ries-300/G5709

There are several other units listed here:
    http://grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=340330

I'm assuming your lathe used an MT3 tail stock.
    -Jeff

Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by seanreit View Post
    I have converted the Z and X axis of my HF lathe and I'm tired of peck drilling by hand, anyone accomplish this before? I could not even get the fly wheel off the tailstock.........
    Hey Seanreit - that looks like a clean and professional job. Any chance of drawings being posted for the brackets and slides etc. Or if no time more photo's please :-)

Phil

Hi,

Great job on what you did build.

but was it not possible to put on a multifix toolholder or some other one similar to it.
    because it made to chance tools pretty fast and there are drill adapters for it. when i have to drill a lot on my conventional lathe i use one of those in stead of my tailstock.

I did not research much when I built this. I made it up as I went along. I'm in the Remote Control turbine Jet hobby, and needed to make some landing gear parts so I bought all this and put it together.

I am unfamiliar with "multifix toolholder" can you show me, sounds like I need it.

As regards plans, all this is is two linear slides off ebay on the Z with two blocks each rail, and linear slides on x with one block each rail. Misc aluminum, a couple ball bearings etc. The only drawings I made were cut drawings for my Tormach to make the holes, but a lot of holes were made a little large so I had some adjustment room before I clamped it all down.

I used 640oz steppers which is probably over kill, two geckodrives, and a CNC4pc breakout board. Took about a week to put it all together.

I don't know if you've seen this or not, but it's what I plan on doing when I start my conversion.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCLatheCNCGangSlide.html

It should work, if your cross slide is big enough.

Great job on your lathe.

Snoqualmie Jim

Quote Originally Posted by seanreit View Post
    It appears that you have a quick change dovetail tool system, so all you need is a morse taper holder (get the largest you can for your series No.
    (1, 2, 3, 4). All relating to the Aloris 100, 200, 300, 400, system.
    Grizzly sells most of the holders available for these.

If you have enough standard tool holders you can make adapters for center drill, small drill chuck, any individual drill sizes, etc. The limit is only your own imagination, or what others can suggest.

I became familiar with quick change tooling and power drilling with the carriage back in the 60's. At 73 I am still learning new tricks, contrary to the old dog thing.

A suggestion for your next model would be to incorporate guards for your ball screws.

A project I have had on the drawing board for about three years: setting up a small lathe, i.e., an 8 x 12, $139, from Harbor Freight, on my Lagun Mill, using the X and Z axis and what ever tool I need in the spindle. (In the off position, of course). Or maybe using a ball end mill.

Jim at Snoqualmie Machine Works

Jim, thanks so much for your comments. I assume your lathe on mill idea is a la "Duality lathe" at Tormach. I was considering getting one of those, but I'm a short frumpy guy and did not want to have to haul the lathe off my Tormach every time I wanted to work on something else which is why I converted my 9x20. But I do have to agree, it is an incredibly novel idea. I will take your guard suggestions to heart, I was thinking some aluminum angle bolted to the aluminum plate attached to the lathe base, there is room in there to get about a 2x2 angle in there the length of the ball screw and linear slides.

Hi,

this is what i meant with a multifix toolholder

at least this is the seem one i work with except on my cnc-lathe i have a full automatic turret of 8 tools