586,096 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > OMD 086 alarm DR signal Off when recivieing

OMD 086 alarm DR signal Off when recivieing

I have a OM-D control that will download from the machine to the pc with know problem but whe I send a program up from the PC I get a DR signal. I've checked cables manyl times, I sent the board out and had it checked and they said they could communicate with it, that it was not the board. I lost all the parameters a while back and had to reload them all by hand because I couldn't get the pc to upload. I have a disk with all the parameters that where originally set up on the machine, and everything looks right. Is there any diagnosis parameters that have to be set? Anyone else have this problem? If I can send from the control why can't I receive? On my control parameter 38.6 is on I've seen posts that say 38.7 should also be on, if I turn on 38.7 when I reboot control the machine thinks that it has a floppy drive, when it really does not. Is that all that parameter controls, it made no difference in uploading to the machine.

I don't know alot about your problem but I do know that Fanuc has two sets of communication parameters. One set for in-put and another for out-put. Your problem sounds like they are not set to the same port.

I have never had to troubleshoot a OM control but the 086 alarm is pretty much telling you the cable is not connected. I know you have checked the wiring but I would check it again. Also check the parameters to the attached data.

Stevo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks stevo
    I've tested the pinouts many times with a ohm meter, but I will check them again. There is a difference in the parameters that you sent, and what I have( parameter 38 you have 1010xxxx, Mine is set 1000xxxx) so I will change that and see what happens. Everything else is the same, thank you for replying to the post

Tried changing the 38 parameter but no difference. The shell pinouts you posted is that for hardware handshake? Those are different then I 've used. Cable is jumpered for software handshake 25 pin cnc side to 9 pin PC side 6,8,20 4,5 on the cnc side with 2-2, 3-3 and 7-5 thru, and pins 7,8 and 6,4 jumpered on the pc side. Would hardware handshake make a difference?

I am not sure if that would matter or not. I am furthest thing from an expert on that. I just know the schematics of how to set it up and some trouble shooting. I know with the pin out I gave you I have never had a problem with communications through most of the Fanuc controls and a few others non Fanuc. Can’t hurt to try. This is probably a good Mr. Fritz question.

Here is a few other threads were the O series control is talked about and has some good details.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22344
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66567

Stevo

A RS232 break out box is invaluable for trouble shooting these type of problems, normally HW Handshake takes care of these alarms, DR pin is pin 6 on the 25D.
    With a Break out box, you can see the actual level of the signal, which on most boxes is a red LED for low and Green for high.
    It should be High.
    There is also normally two ports on the 0, one on the MB and the other on the Operator Panel, check to see if there is CD1 socket.
    If you need the RS232 manual on this, send me a email ad by PM.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al
    I have a breakout box in line, when I select the program to output in edit mode the screen flashes LSK at this point all the lights are green except RD & TD when I push the output button it sends the file but the change in color of the lights on RD & TD is very faint they don't actually turn green. When I send a file from the pc to the cable while it is not plugged into the machine one light is lit and it changes color and flickers, but it does not turn green, maybe because the file is to small that I'm sending.
    The machine is supposed to be able to use the m74 port, at least Thats what I've been told, by looking at the version number that comes up at machine start up. I have tried switching to the M74 connector before and changing the parameters as instructed, but still no go.
    Unless you have some other suggestions I'll try and build a hardware handshake cable and see what happens.
    Thanks Tom

If your 4-5 6-8-20 are green, I don't really see it making any difference if you make up a HW HS cable.
    The R & D light dimming are normal if it is transmitting.
    What is the actual alarm # for the DR?
    AL.

Albert E.

86 DR signal off

Try this cable configuration:

Fanuc side (25-pin) ----------- PC side (9-pin)

pin 1 ----------- cable shield
    pin 2 ------------------------------ pin 2
    pin 3 ------------------------------ pin 3
    pin 5 ------------------------------ pin 7
    pin 7 ------------------------------ pin 5
    pin 6 and pin 8 -------------------- pin 4

I've seen a few of the faster Fanuc CNCs do this. Normally, a jumper from 6 to 8 to 20 on the Fanuc side does the trick, but tying pin 6 and 8 on the Fanuc side to pin 4 on the PC side is more reliable. Also, if you jumper pins 4 to 5 on the Fanuc side, the Fanuc will be able to send data to "outer space" even if the PC is not ready. I recommend tying pin 5 on the Fanuc to pin 7 on the PC to prevent this. The Fanuc can't send data without a signal on pin 5, so if the PC isn't ready, you can't be fooled into thinking your program is saved when it isn't.

When (any) Fanuc tries to send or receive, it opens the serial port which turns on pins 4 (RTS) and 20 (DTR). It then checks to see if pin 6 (DR) and pin 8 (CD) are both on. If they are not, you get an alarm. Problem is, sometimes with the new, faster processors, the Fanuc turns on pin 20, then checks the status of pins 6 and 8 TOO FAST. Tying pins 6 and 8 to DTR on the PC side (pin 4), which is held high long before you try to punch/read on the Fanuc, should solve that timing problem. The fact that you're getting the alarm when you try to read, but not when you try to punch points to the possibility that its a timing problem.

These Fanucs will hardware handshake using RTS/CTS when they SEND data to the PC, but will only do Xon/Xoff handshaking when they receive. Kind of funky, but that's the way Dr Inaba made them.

Dan
    Thank you for the response, I will give that a try today.
    Tom

Dan's recommendation seems to have worked for me. I was having DR Signal Off problems on a 21iMA with USB-RS232 converter and i-logic's DNC Server. My existing cable with 6-8-20 linked worked ok on my other Fanucs but not on the 21iMA so I've just made another cable using Pin 4 at the pc and it worked first time:banana:. Early days yet I know but I'm really encouraged by it; I was transfering code via Flash card but didn't see any long term reliability of the connector pins.

Cheers
    Rob

Ok guys looking for a little insight on a similar problem to what is posted here. I have been trying to get a machine I purchased up and running for a few day and am really close but have hit a wall. Machine is a Clausing CV-1000 with a Fanuc O-MD controller and I am using BobCad with Preditor Editor. Problem I am haviing is I am getting alarm 086 DR Signal but it is happening right at the end of the program loading. I can get programs from the machine fine and it will upload around 98% of the program before getting the alarm. I am thinking it is a setting in my software cause I also notice that I will be missing the last 5-8 lines of the program. For instance the first program was 653 lines and it will load up to line 647, was thinking maybe to small of memory on the machine so i sent one 820 lines and it will load up to line 817 before alarming out. It is strange cause even though it does not finish loading the program will have the % at the end.

My guess is something in Predator is telling the machine to shut off the DR signal before the program is finished loading?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I have been banging my head for 2 days with this problem.

How is your cable wired?

I am using a standard 25 pin to 9 pin cable. planned on trying a new cable with the specs posted but wanted to get some insight to see if it could be program related since it would read nearly the entire program and the software showed complete before alarming.

I would use the 3 wire cable version with the hardware handshake jumpered out preferably.
    Also ensure the software is set for software handshake, (XON/XOFF).
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheel Werkz View Post
    I am using a standard 25 pin to 9 pin cable. planned on trying a new cable with the specs posted but wanted to get some insight to see if it could be program related since it would read nearly the entire program and the software showed complete before alarming.
    Just out of curiosity, how is a "standard 25 pin to 9 pin cable" wired?

I have no clue, never cut one apart. By standard I meant it is a off the shelf computer cable that I was using on my milltronics machine previously.

Ok just wanted to say thanks for the insight guys, seems building a cable to the 3 wire specs worked and solved my problem, or at least that one, lol Now on to the next one.