586,103 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Compact II?

Page 2 of 2 12
    drop me a line, ill send u a copy w' instructions and full nodelock

Compact 2 programming!

In regards to Applicon Bravo (Compact 2) the guy is Leon Korkowski.

LK Manufacturing Data Services LLC
    2855 Lakehurst Lane
    Ann Arbor, MI 48105 Phone-Fax #734-665-5583
    [email protected]

This guy has everything to do with Compact 2 (!) and builds post processors for me. The machine tool driver software being quite old, some newer multi-tasking machine technology is not supported of course. Leon has built links for Hardinge Quest with sub spindle and live tooling, and Mori Seiki lathes with all that and Y axis too. Machining center work, no problem. He's very good, and a nice guy. Give him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsimpson78 View Post
    Hi Martin, just read your post, i sent you a PM.
    Keith

Compact II

I just read through these posts. It brought back some memories of teletypes, yellow roll paper, black paper tape for prove outs and mylar for proven programs, using QED (quick editing device) for cleaning up the outputs - watching the HP pen plotters draw out the geometry and then the tool path. I also remember having to "read" the tape output when there was an error reading the tape at the machine (think hanging "chad"). Got really good at finding the stop codes, space bars, carriage returns and line feeds in the paper tape.

Every month we would have to go through the on-line bill from MDSI and break out the costs to the proper job. We eventually got a PDP11 in-house and then we could really push the window of what you could do with part boundaries, rotations, family of parts and macro family of processes.

We had an assistant whose job was to enter our programs into the system - writing out the program on paper in CII forced you to logically layout the various processes.

I watch at what is being done today and wonder how things are going to be in another thrity-five years -

Amazing

it's still alive...

I just started a new job in May and we are still using Bravo, we're on Bravo8... my job will be to eventually replace it. I have so far, rewritten several of the links and written several macros in those old links to support the probing that is being done on castings.

TruePrecision mentioned NICAM IV, back in 1990 I trained under their (Automation Intelligence) staff for writing post-processors for their Expedite 3D software.

At any rate, I am wondering if anyone knows how to suppress output in a link, in order to get the F-Code to come out I am having to use a LINEAR_MOT statement but that is also putting out a G1, I probably can't have that because it may interfere with the Renishaw probe macro, but may it will be ok?? Not sure; this is basically what I am getting (see N0007):

Code:
    (////  PROBE   ////)
    (TOOL 1  PROBE SEAT AND SET CENTERLINE)
    N0001T1M6
    N0002G90G0X0.Y0.B180.S650M3
    N0003G43Z8.H1
    N0004M5
    N0005M44
    N0006M23
    N0007G1G65P9810Z2.113F30.
    N0008G65P9023Y.5A3.
    N0009G91G28Z0.
    N0010M24
    N0011M45
    N0012M1
    btw, I am running this under Windows7, MSFT put out an XP virtual machine (for free) that I use to run it. It's pretty slick, I have dual monitors, W7 on the right and XP on the left.

Also, as I alluded to, I'm writing these links so perhaps we can pool our knowledge and help each other out. We've got thousands of programs here so we will likely keep this going for another few years before we completley move away from this, if we are ever actually able to. This is fantastic for the family-of-parts work that we do!
    -making chips since '78
    -C, Pascal, Assembler, G-Code, Post Processor

Hello all,

Wanted to take a moment to correct the email address for Leon Korkowski. Need to add an "L" in front of it all...

In regards to the problem that ttx336 is having, I do not have the best solution, but you can always create a macro in MS Word to remove, replace or insert your desired text (code), and run the .tap file through that before you send it out to the floor. It is an extra step, but a quick one.

We use Applicon everyday and have since the early 90's. Getting in touch with Leon this week, got a new W7-32bit machine to replace the tired XP.

Quote Originally Posted by ttx336 View Post
    I just started a new job in May and we are still using Bravo, we're on Bravo8... my job will be to eventually replace it. I have so far, rewritten several of the links and written several macros in those old links to support the probing that is being done on castings.

TruePrecision mentioned NICAM IV, back in 1990 I trained under their (Automation Intelligence) staff for writing post-processors for their Expedite 3D software.

At any rate, I am wondering if anyone knows how to suppress output in a link, in order to get the F-Code to come out I am having to use a LINEAR_MOT statement but that is also putting out a G1, I probably can't have that because it may interfere with the Renishaw probe macro, but may it will be ok?? Not sure; this is basically what I am getting (see N0007):

Code:
    (////  PROBE   ////)
    (TOOL 1  PROBE SEAT AND SET CENTERLINE)
    N0001T1M6
    N0002G90G0X0.Y0.B180.S650M3
    N0003G43Z8.H1
    N0004M5
    N0005M44
    N0006M23
    N0007G1G65P9810Z2.113F30.
    N0008G65P9023Y.5A3.
    N0009G91G28Z0.
    N0010M24
    N0011M45
    N0012M1
    btw, I am running this under Windows7, MSFT put out an XP virtual machine (for free) that I use to run it. It's pretty slick, I have dual monitors, W7 on the right and XP on the left.

Also, as I alluded to, I'm writing these links so perhaps we can pool our knowledge and help each other out. We've got thousands of programs here so we will likely keep this going for another few years before we completley move away from this, if we are ever actually able to. This is fantastic for the family-of-parts work that we do!
    If you are still stuck with this problem
    Try create a edi file in your linklib folder eg "removeG1.edi" in this file enter the following

SET QUIET ON
    SET FINDCONF OFF
    SET WILD ON

FIND [G1G65] S/G1//

and save it. s=substitute then /G1/ is replaced with // nothing between slashes therefore its removed.
    To call this in your .src file, append the top of file like so,

MACHIN,3420,HASS,EXE(C:\BRAVO3\LINKLIB\HASS.EDI)

All the best,
    Keith.

Re: Compact II?

HELLO MARTIN,
    WE ARE TRYING TO MOVE OUR APPLICON VERSION 8 TO A NEW SERVER.
    CAN YOU TELL US HOW TO DO THIS OR TO GET ANOTHER SEAT OF COMPACT II?
    THANK YOU,
    DAVE SEAMAN
    [email protected]

Apt, Compact II, NiCam... Still my favorites. Nothing forced the programmer to know the part intimately, to understand the relationships of each feature to every other, than having to DLIN every single feature of the finished part (as well as the rough stock!)

Quote Originally Posted by ghyman View Post
    Apt, Compact II, NiCam... Still my favorites. Nothing forced the programmer to know the part intimately, to understand the relationships of each feature to every other, than having to DLIN every single feature of the finished part (as well as the rough stock!)
    Does anybody know where I can find the manuals to Applicon/Bravo Draft and Applicon/Compact II ?Thank yu

You may be able to get the manuals from a former Compact II employee.
    Here is his contact info:
    Leon Korkowski
    LK MFG Services
    (734) 665-5583 lkorkowski [email protected]
    I hope this helps.
    Dave Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by TURNER View Post
    Yes almost extinct, but still more versatile than ANY new breed of software. Why no one has rewritten this with a more modern front end and visuals eg 3d backplotting etc is totally beyond me. We are now using a combination of macro CII programs and a modern software to do the odd stuff. But, if i had to do a standard family parts job, even with a high end parametric modelling system there is no way it could be done as quick. Some of our std parts which are quite involved can be fully programmed in less than 20mins using parameters. Do this on modern system even with a model would take way longer and outputs more g-code.
    What version you use? I saw in an earlier post that Compact II has no toolpath display...Ours does. Also is your key locked to the network card? I have seen there is now some software you can get that can spoof Mac Address of netcard maybe this is a way to keep it alive if card fails. That is if its legal.
    Keith.

LOL, I just realized that someone responded, you know, 4 YEARS LATER! I'm not sure what version I use, but the 20 year old server isn't getting any younger. I do know that it's tied to a license card. It'd be great if someone had a work around so I could run a stand alone without a license. Not sure about the legalities, as to my knowledge, the company who made C2 no longer exists.

BTW- The graphics work just fine on my end (bravo NCG), albeit rather primitive, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsimpson78 View Post
    Is this information still available?

Quote Originally Posted by JRU View Post
    Is this information still available?
    PM me at [email protected]

So, I've been programming our machine tools, lathes, mills, HBM's ,VTL's, VMC's with Compact II for 35 years.
    starting with time share, then a PDP-11, then a micro-vax, until moving to Windows PC's, Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP. Then along came Win7, we had to create XP virtual machines on the Win7 machines, all well and good.
    Now along comes Win10, My company due to security reason is required by DOD to stay up to date with op systems.
    Win10 does not have all the same VM capabilities as Win7 did. Our IT dept is having a tough time trying to get XP running in Hyper-V, getting Bravo3 installed, and getting it to communicate back and forth from host to client machines. All of our thousands of compact II source files are stored on a network server, which they can't seem to connect to.
    Mean while, we purchased a DMG-Mori NT6600 mill turn. way above the capabilities of Bravo3 and Leon K. to make a link for. So we purchased Espirt, great software, just one catch, backin the 1980's Applicon developed some sub-routines to profile some intricate proprietary screw thread forms. we have been and still are using these today. Esprit started working on the same but stopped when Corporate decided we didn't want to pay!!

My Question. has anyone found another program that can process CompactIIe into G-code, or convert the CompactII into another syntax that a different hunk of software can understand?
    Need to have able to run on Win10 machines.

Exclamation Re: Compact II?

HELP!!! Is there anyone out there that can supply me with the installation CD of Bravo NCG or CompactII? Someone set mine out on the counter in the bright sun (it was a CDRW) and now it won't read.
    Sandy

Is not easy to get the old version. which version are you interested?

Page 2 of 2 12