586,731 active members*
2,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > How to properly JOG home VMC 15

How to properly JOG home VMC 15

Hello all,
    New to CNC and Fadal world. My father has a small business, our CNC/Fadal guy was fired for theft. We are in the 'get by' phase until someone else is hired is the spring. So, I have been asked to help the family out. I know and understand very little about CNC.

Right now, we have 2 machines. Both Fadal VMC 15's.

Machine 1 is a 1989-90 model with a CNC 88 HS

Machine 2 is maybe a 1992-94ish machine with a CNC 88

Machine #2 will not "jog" home properly. Every time on startup it requests to be jogged home.

For some reason, we cannot get this resolved. Definitely the axis are off. This problem has occurred before but now nothing we do works. I am sure it is our ignorance and nothing defective on the Fadal.

Anyone have a best practices method of 'jogging' the Fadal home we could try?

Please be rudimentary and give me a baby's 1st Fadal type explanation.

Thanks

I work on a 4020 occasionally, I believe you have to change some parameters before you can jog the machine home after it was improperly turned off.

This is the way it is with the 4020 at least, you may want to call a millwright and remember to send the machine to cold start home next time.

its been a long time since I used a fadal but dont you jog it to line up the home marks and then type setcs?

mark

turn on machine push green button push jog select z jog to align the marks on the right side of z column select y this 1 is a littlle tougher there is a piece of sheet metal on the right side down low that lines up with the saddle edge select x align the marks on the front of cross slide after that go to mdi enter next comand type in cs than push enter you should hear the machine jump and align remember before shutting down machine use return to home then selcect for power down option 2 the nest time you resart you just have to cold start the machine no jogging

If you are using "space bar" menus, cold start is option 9.
    If you home the machine before powering it down (either by typing HO in MDI mode or by option 3 (I think) on the space bar menu, Then you will not have to jog the machine on start up - just do CS <enter> (when asked).
    You will likely be asked if you want to go the the last home position as well. There must be a good use for this question, but I don't know what it is - the SAFE answer is NO.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

OK. I am pasting your responses into an email then sending it to the company. I don't work there and I only do computers and networks anyway...looks like I am going to have to learn CNC programming now at the local college. lol

I will follow up and give the results here when they tell me.

In the mean time, please keep adding thoughts or suggestions just in case!

And thanks to all that have contributed so far!