586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Power/air requirements for 1991 Haas VF-1...?

Power/air requirements for 1991 Haas VF-1...?

I hope someone can enlighten me here... I've got a line on a pair of 1991 Haas VF-1 machines, but cannot find the power requirements for these two, or whether or not they also need compressed air.

The vendor has no clue (surplus auction), and the Haas website doesn't have any info on older versions of the VF-1 (or at least I can't find it).

I'm hoping that someone on here has info on these 1991 VMCs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

-R

Yes, they need air to evacuate the spindle and to run the tool changer. The air always runs in the spindle so you'll be using some air.

If you're thinking of a home shop, figure on the two-stage 80 gallon compressor that they sell at Home Depot. Mine runs about 30% of the time when the machine is running. A smaller compressor will just burn up trying to keep up with demand.

I don't know what the power requirements of the older machines are but my 20hp machine is on a 220V/single-phase, 80 amp breaker. That runs through a 30hp phase converter to the machine. I'd guess a 40-60 amp breaker would probably do it for an older, lower hp machine.
    Greg

My 92 VF2 requires 30 amp service and 100 psi

I don't have any machines that old but I ampretty sure you need clean, dry air at 100psi and at least 4cfm.

For power you will need 240V three phase at 50amps.

I don't know about older machines but newer machines can take anywhere between 208V and 240V; they have transformer taps in the electrical cabinet.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks for the info guys! After DH's comments in another thread about biting the bullet and getting a used Haas, I have been researching them and managed to stumble across a pair of 1991 VF-1 machines that appear to be in good condition for $7500 each (originally for sale at $15K, been discounted to move out).

My biggest concerns were power requirements (I am working out of my house right now) and if I had to buy an industrial-strength compressor to support it.

The only other big thing is maintenance - anyone have a suggestion as to what to budget annually for maintenance on an older Haas mill? What do typical machine shops budget for that kind of expense? Anyone have an idea what service contracts tend to run from Haas?

Just trying to cover as many bases as possible before possibly pulling the trigger on a 6500-lbs shipment landing in the middle of my garage floor!

Thanks!

-R

The best bet (really) would be to have a Haas tech go out and look at the machine before you buy it. They have access to all the maintenance history (at least if it was done by the HFO). They'll be able to tell you if there were any major crashes, board replacements, etc, etc. They know how to get to the servo timers, know what wears out...you get the idea.

They might even be able to do a ballbar test on it to check for slop in the screws. It'd cost you an hour of labor and a bit of travel time but a couple of hundred dollars could put your mind at ease. Then...

...be prepared to buy it on the spot. I'm assuming you don't have an unusually tall door opening. If you have the normal 7 foot door, you'll probably need the Z axis motor to be removed before shipment. He can lower the spindle and get everything ready. That way, when the riggers get it to your house, it's ready to roll inside.

Once it arrives and get the power sorted out, you can call Haas to come out again, reinstall the Z axis motor and get everything checked out for you.

It'll be cheap insurance and unless you're prepared to remove and reinstall the Z-axis motor on your own, this will get you all the background, the clean bill of health, the shipping prep and the arrival setup, in only two service calls.

Unless you're using it daily, I wouldn't expect there to be much maintenance per year. Keep it full of oil, keep the air filter clean, check the regulators, keep an eye on how it operates and you should be OK (generally speaking). There may be wear items but that's what you'll find out from the Haas tech looking at it.

$7500 sounds like a screaming deal. Man, I paid $3500 for a three-axis manual mill about 8 years ago. Wow. Check it out carefully.
    Greg