586,111 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RS-232 Prot Replicator

Has anyone tried to use USB port replicator to have a RS-232 on a laptop? I do most of my work on a Dell laptop and it would be nice to DNC straight to the VF2 without going to a different box.

See link
    http://www.provantage.com/keyspan-tr...g~7KEYS041.htm

You've got two ways to go:

Buy a USB to serial converter. I haven't used mine with either Haas but it works just fine with my Garmin GPS so I don't see why it would be different. It was a lot smaller than the thing you have pictured as well. It was just a USB to 9-pin serial cable with some electronics in the 9-pin's backshell. I think I paid $30 for it at the local electronics retailer.

The other option is a wireless "Serial Server." I have two of these but I haven't gotten around to installing either one. Troy / Silex sells the ones I have:
    http://www.silexamerica.com/sx-500.html

It's basically an 802.11b wireless receiver with a serial output. You install some software on your computer. Your computer sees this 'software' as an additional COM port. You tell your CAM software to output to that COM port. The software sends it wirelessly to the SX-500. The SX-500 converts it back to regular old RS-232 and that talks to your machine.

The SX-500 is configured through a web browser interface. You plug it into your laptop via the wired Ethernet port, type in the address of the Serial Server and you get a setup screen. Do all your changes, save all the settings, turn on the wireless port and install it.

They're a little pricey when bought new but they turn up on eBay all the time. I search under Silex and the old company's name, Troy. They made a wired version so make sure you're looking at a wireless one.

Search for: TROY SERIAL or SILEX SERIAL

There's one on there right now for $50 (buy it now).
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silex-Technologi...mZ200291446174
    Greg

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    You've got two ways to go:

The other option is a wireless "Serial Server." I have two of these but I haven't gotten around to installing either one. Troy / Silex sells the ones I have:
    http://www.silexamerica.com/sx-500.html

It's basically an 802.11b wireless receiver with a serial output. You install some software on your computer. Your computer sees this 'software' as an additional COM port. You tell your CAM software to output to that COM port. The software sends it wirelessly to the SX-500. The SX-500 converts it back to regular old RS-232 and that talks to your machine.

The SX-500 is configured through a web browser interface. You plug it into your laptop via the wired Ethernet port, type in the address of the Serial Server and you get a setup screen. Do all your changes, save all the settings, turn on the wireless port and install it.

They're a little pricey when bought new but they turn up on eBay all the time. I search under Silex and the old company's name, Troy. They made a wired version so make sure you're looking at a wireless one.

Search for: TROY SERIAL or SILEX SERIAL

There's one on there right now for $50 (buy it now).
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silex-Technologi...mZ200291446174

That wireless port would be cool, can I stay connected to my wireless internet and connect to it at the same time?

I can't remember for sure, but I think yes you can stay connected. You have to choose which channel your local network is on and there is some other setup stuff but it's not any different than 5 computers in your house, sharing the same wireless hub.

Maybe I'll plug it in later just to be sure. I have one of them all configured and ready to go. The only thing I'm missing is the 9-pin to 25-pin cable for the machine and the resolve to finally install it (I don't DNC and haven't had a file larger than 1 MB).
    Greg

I think it's a bit of dangerous to use wireless for DNC. The environment around can affect the wireless signals, and it may disrupt the Is and Os in air. That is what I'm worried most.

Does DNC spools and load the whole motion program completely and only runs the machine? If it does, I think it will work.
    "I will not let you regret knowing me."

You also can likely get a docking station or port replicator for your laptop from dell and then you will have a serial port. Laptopdocks into it. Only works while at a desk though...