586,452 active members*
3,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > weird x3 stepper problem at start up

weird x3 stepper problem at start up

Hi All,

I have a x3 and have converted it with a syil converstion kit. The first time I got it running it didnt last long till the GREAT chinese p.s.u blew up. Hugh of Syil U.K promptly replaced it under war with two meanwell p.s.u's. anyway, I reftted everything, started it all up and it worked fine. I switched if off then on again and all the steppers were making horrible stalling growling noises. I disconected the computer and just ran one axis at a time. each axis would exibit the same problem even when not connected to the computer - you can just see the stepper moving on its own accord ever so slightly. The green led on the driver would flash once every second.

With out any of the axis ribbon cables plugged into the controller board and just power applied to the stepper its fine. Its almost like the controller is sending its own rouge signal to the stepper drivers..........

has anyone got any ideas? its not the power to the controller board as its stable. please help Im at witts end! many thanks

Ground wiring loop?

How are your drivers and power supply wired? You must be careful not to introduce any ground or feedback loops. This means ideally:
    1/ shielded/screened cable to the steppers, screen grounded at driver end only
    2/ Ground side of the motor supply direct to each driver ground connection, no daisy chains. Similarly with V+ connection.
    3/ Signal side of drivers wired direct to breakout board with independent signal and ground connections, ideally also screened cable, screen connected at one end only.
    4/ if you dont do screened cable in 1 and/or 4, keep signal cables well away (>10cm) from motor and power wiring
    5/ If you have a powered breakout board with an external 5v supply make sure its a clean regulated power supply and able to provide enough current... noise spikes can be produced by an overloaded power supply .

Hi ,

Many thanks for your reply. It is all grounded and screened ok. it has a direct a.c supply that is rectified on the controller board so power should be fine. I just went out and pulled all the ribbon cable/ power wires right out of the way and it still being eratic. Like I said without the ribbon cables attached to the controller board there is no movement or sound. as soon as it is attached the green light starts flashing as if its recieving a signaland the motors creep . then the sound as if the motors are stuck somehow...........

its is the original syil kit by the way, a east crystal controller board and syil stepper drivers.

whereabouts in the UK?

Why not come and join the UK CNC Community if you haven't already done so?

im in bristol, and good idea - I'm going to do that right away ;0)