• Vectric 3D

4 14.81%
  • Dolphin level3

6 22.22%
  • other

19 70.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.

DEMO'S are great but

Demo's are good but they are very limited so when you find 2 different pieces of software that are about equal it comes down to the USERS that use the software. Vectric vs Dolphin. lets see what popularity is..

your comparing peas to peanuts , both are seeds but completely different
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

As was mentioned, you're comparing two products aimed at completely different markets, and at very different price points. I'm gonna guess at this forum, that V Carve users outnumber Dolphin users 10 to 1.

Nothing against Dolphin, but you said you wanted to make signs, and that is exactly what V-Carve was designed to do, and it does it quickly and easily.

When buying software, imo, the most important thing is does it do what you want it to do.

Can someone tell me if Dolphin does V-Carving, or just simple engraving?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looking at your other post, looks like you need Vectric/Vcarve Pro.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

I am a dolphin level 3 user and love the software. However, as earlier mentioned, you seem to be more in the range of vectric. IMO, dolphin can do more in different areas whereas vectric specializes in signmakings, woodcarvings, etc. If that is all you will be doing, vcarve would probably be your best route.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Can someone tell me if Dolphin does V-Carving?
    no it won't do v-carving
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Dolphin Level 3

I use Dolphin level 3 but have a love hate relationship with it. I got it because it had a plugin for IronCad, my favorite 3D geometry creation software. I find the Partmaster Cad part of Dolphin to be awkward.

Most of us dont buy dolphin for the cad. The cam is the very nice part.

Dolphin

I've already asked a couple members by PM for some advice but does anyone know of an outline type of form that can be used to set up a job for milling? I typed out the Tutorials and tried to use that to set up a job but it seems like I'm always missing one or two functions compared to the Movie version of the Tutorials. Not being a machinist by trade and also not knowing the program very well, it looks like a lot of Greek to me. Surely there must be someone who has worked up an outline for setting up a job? How about it?
    Either way, Thanks,
    Jim

Hi Jim,
    If none of the Dolphin tutorials cover the type of machining you are trying to do, perhaps providing some general information of the job will enable one of us to work out the steps involved? If not don't hesitate to contact Rodney at DolphinCAD/CAM USA or the reseller you bought it from for assistance. We see many questions asked here and answered by Dolphin CAD/CAM users that are very willing to help. I have even seen Dolphin create tutorials to help users through the task.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

help

Metalworkz,
    Thanks for the reply. Several others have answered my frantic calls and the best one for me was; try the Dolphin on-line site. I think that is going to really help a lot. After I get the basic setup going then I'll be able to be more specific on what help is needed. Right now just getting the information in the program so I can get a job saved to a disc and get a chance to try out the mill.
    Thanks for all of the help!
    Jim

Can some body tell me what dolphen can do, that Vcarve can't do?..i.e. name some special tools/operations that Dolphin has but Vcarve do not have..

never heard of these

I never heard of these software packages. I use MasterCam or BobCAD/CAM