586,069 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor brushes

I have a Sieg C6 lathe, Just before christmas I wore the motor brushes out, no problem.... I thought....It came with a spare set, trouble is they were too big. I contacted Axminster ( My original supplier) Who said they would send me another set, they arrived the next day....trouble is they were the same size as the spares I had
    To get me going over the holiday I had to heavily modify them to fit (width, height, spring and brass back plate).

Axminster insist that these are the correct ones and that they do not hold any other sizes as spares, has anyone here found a supplier of the correct sized ones please?

Regards rog8811

Generally, motors are bought, not made items. Look to see if there ia an OEM potor tag. It michg be under a coat of "spit shine" paint. Try contacting the motor mfr direct. If it is an import motor, you may have to find something close and adapt it.

Tis truly sad when the makers of mills/lathes don't take the time to stock what should be considered "consumeable" service/repair items..

I see you are in the UK otherwise Helwig Carbon in the US may have them, is this a Universal motor (high rpm) if so look up a dealer that services power tools and Vacuum cleaners.
    The carbon/copper composition varies, depending on application, universal motors have a higher carbon content, hence the rapid wear.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The trouble with looking for a makers plate is that the motor is so deeply imbedded in the head stock.... In fact changing the brushes needed a contortionist with three hands, ( I have modified the caps with stick up tabs to make it easier next time).

I will get the torch and mirror out and see if I can find anything though.
    Thanks for the ideas guys.

Regards rog8811