586,065 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question X4 Speedmaster

Hi
    I am considering buying a new CNC mill and wanted ssome feedback on the X4. Would it have the spindle speed to run a 3mm cutter in aluminium. Does anyone know anything about the 24000Rpm machine, pictures etc, all help and advice greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post
    Hi
    ....Would it have the spindle speed to run a 3mm cutter in aluminium. .....
    yep, I do it all the time. Just make sure you have the right feed rate and depth of cut. I found the attached spreadsheet helpful (if not a little conservative on the figures)
    Attached Files Attached Files

hello fidia,
    regarding the 24,000 rpm spindle speed version - it can be seen here on the Syil parent company site:
    http://syil.com.cn/en/products.asp
    Note that the speed range is 8,000 - 24,000 rpm

My best estimate as to receiving stock is around 3-4 months. We currently have the X4 plus.

Hugh
    Syil UK
    ps you're welcome to call again if you have further questions.

Re

I am very interested in the X4 plus, just not sure whether the 24000 rpm machine or the 3600 rpm machine would be best as I will be doing very small work up to larger work. I will be using cutters drom 2mm up to 12mm I reckon Then again im sure 12mm carbide end mills can be run at 8000 rpm.
    I am in the process of getting a mew lathe at the moment so a mill is next on the listt.

Mabye the 24000rpm spindle is only for engraving work?

if you plan on using 2mm cutter i would definitly go for the speedmaster
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    if you plan on using 2mm cutter i would definitly go for the speedmaster
    But if i wanted to use a 16mm cutter and face mills also, do you think im asking to much ha ha!

Hi fidia.

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds. Get the regular spindle and then bolt on a high speed like this:

http://hossmachine.info/projects.html#engraver

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Hi fidia.

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds. Get the regular spindle and then bolt on a high speed like this:

http://hossmachine.info/projects.html#engraver

CR.

Im thinking thats the best solution ive seen yet. Its either that or buy 2 X4 mahines. Also what face mills can be used on the X4

i use a three insert 2inchs facemill on mine
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by john_t_h View Post
    yep, I do it all the time. Just make sure you have the right feed rate and depth of cut. I found the attached spreadsheet helpful (if not a little conservative on the figures)

How does this sheet correlate to the diameter of the cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by m8kingit View Post
    How does this sheet correlate to the diameter of the cutter?
    I you type a cutter diameter and feedrate it should give you a spindle speed

I think you type a cutter diameter and feedrate it should give you a spindle speed

Is there much setting up on an X4 when you get out of the crate? Degreasing, connecting wires etc?

no connecting to to aside from connecting the coolant pump (if you get the coolant pump with it) and plug in the parralel port cable
    as for degreasing the machine as a light coat of reddish grease that you may or may not need to fully care about wipping it of, what i did on mine was to run the axis in there extreme and wipe the dovetail aside from that coat of grease mine was perfectly clean and only needed alot of gibs adjustement the only let down was the 4th axis wich in my opinion is more of an indexer then a 4th axis, it work properly as a forth axis if you can live with 2 degree of backlash but if you try to take the backlash out as i did try, at best i got 10minute of backlash, the motor will tend to stall from time to time under pressure.

Is there much setting up on an X4 when you get out of the crate? Degreasing, connecting wires etc?
    oops, I guess i should have looked around, lol. I didn't see that. These feedrates only pertain to this small mill correct.
    I'm sure my feedrates are far beyond these, but my mill is much more rigid and powerfull, with exception to the spindle speed, however my feedrates aren't even comparable to these, these are slow.