586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Mill Plastic Molds? Smooth Surfaces?

Lightbulb CNC Mill Plastic Molds? Smooth Surfaces?

I want to manufacture plastic cast molds on a CNC machine. The products will be designed in CAD and milled into molds which i could put together and fill with the plastic resin. Thats the idea anyway but thats about as far as I have got. I need to know if its concievable that a milled peice could have a surface smooth enough to then mould say a clear lens for a taillight. Maybe with some minor buffing or sanding? If i had a 18"x18"x6" approximate working area is there a machine that jumps out as an ideal for this scenario? is it under $5000 i hope? Thanks a lot guys. First post btw I look foward to getting to know a lot of you.

Welcome Klaymonster!
    18"x18"x6" for mold work under $5000? Sorry, not much hope there.
    For that capacity you'd be looking at a VMC like a Haas and a used one
    at that price would no doubt need thousands for refurbishing.
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by klaymonster View Post
    I want to manufacture plastic cast molds on a CNC machine. The products will be designed in CAD and milled into molds which i could put together and fill with the plastic resin. Thats the idea anyway but thats about as far as I have got. I need to know if its concievable that a milled peice could have a surface smooth enough to then mould say a clear lens for a taillight. Maybe with some minor buffing or sanding? If i had a 18"x18"x6" approximate working area is there a machine that jumps out as an ideal for this scenario? is it under $5000 i hope? Thanks a lot guys. First post btw I look foward to getting to know a lot of you.
    18" x 18" x 6" is HUGE! Even a Bridgeport can't do that. The small machines are typically limited to 4-8" in the Y axis, and 10-16" in X. Those are total travels, actual usable work envelope is almost always smaller. I have a large Bridgeport clone, which is 34" in X, 14" in Y, 16" total in Z (but much less usable Z travel for a given operation - quill travel is only 5"). You're talking VMC territory there, which == $$$$.

You don't generally get a "perfect" finish right off the machine. Molds are usually surface-finished after machining, to either polish, or apply a consistent texture. Polishing could be done manually, but is VERY time-consuming. To get to a surface that you *could* polish, and that would give good injection molding results, you'd need a VERY "tight", precise machine - one with truly *zero* backlash, and very high accuracy. That's not your typical hobby machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I appretiate the frank responses. (...and speedy too!) You'll have to excuse if i get tears of broken dreams smeared in my response. *drip* *drip*

Well it looks like i've got quite a bit more reading to do, I imagine i'll be spending a lot more time with all of you. In the meantime does anyone know of a review/buyersguide type resource in this field?

Quote Originally Posted by klaymonster View Post
    I need to know if its concievable that a milled peice could have a surface smooth enough to then mould say a clear lens for a taillight. Maybe with some minor buffing or sanding?
    You will be looking at machines in this class.
    http://www.yasda.co.jp/la_English/

is it under $5000 i hope?
    That will get you a few tool holders and maybe an end mill or two.
    Add two more zeros on that and you will be all set.

Haha thanks again you guys. My naiveness has struck again... :withstupi

As said before, plastic molds must be polished to a mirror like finish, or it would reflect any imperfections. Even in small production line which i assume you thinking about it would take a lot of time to hand finish every single piece. However hand finish would not be as good as from a good mold. Anyway don't take me a wrong way, I do a lot of things the hard way myself before i learn to make it wright, which most of the time equals that my trying to save the money, costs me twice as much.. if you know what i mean. I do know some small manufacturer in Europe who specializes in plastic mold making. Economy is tough these days and if you have a part drawing i can put you in touch with them for a quote. I am not trying to advertise here or make money of you.
    Just suggesting... Best regards Mike

And as a former moldmaker I can assure you there is no job more tedious and miserable than polishing, especially with an optical finish the goal.
    Joe

If it's short run stuff, you could always polish the plastic.......
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

His best bet is for a Router. Perfect brand comes to mind, K2!

http://www.k2cnc.com/

-Jason