586,104 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gutting a Defiance VTX?

Hi. Not sure if I am posting in the rite area but, can I gut a VTX-1 and install a smoothstepper and a machdrive to get rid of everything in the original unit? I called yaskawa to set info on the servos.Can it be done?

7 ways to gut a cat?

Your on the right track. Try to get Servo drive infomation, which I think can be obtained online at Yaskawa. Later model drives/motors makes it highly probable they are AC Servos, a good thing. In order to implement Mach 3 or other PC control, you will have to find out what type of control signal the servo drives require. If not step/dir, you will have to find compatible interface hardware.

Other then a little bit messy, poor housekeeping, in the control cabinet, it looks like a decent start. Much of your interface control wiring to the vfd will likely be retainable in your new setup.

My advice would be to leave everything installed and intact, do not disturb the wiring until you have a grasp of what is there and how it worked previously. You should be able to retain most of it and just add a PC and interface to get her going.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a PC-based system. A little google-ing suggests that although the Defiance machines are no longer produced, the controller/software lives on. You may want to consider getting her going the way she is?

Is there something drastically wrong or pushing you towards an alternate control solution?

Talking

Toss the old guts my way!

I would be happy to have them.

Jeff...

Smile

Seiz0r,

All the VTX-1 machines I have seen where equipped with Yaskawa AC servo drives.

Converting it to Mach3 is not that difficult.

There are several alternatives.

If it where me, I would not gut the entire control package.

Jeff...

hi. Checking on the yaskawa web page it says that the motors are
    400watt, 200v, direct drive. I thaught it might have been easier just to get rid of everything and start over with the other stuff that is available.I found a Delta Tau Universal PMAC Lite Controller ISA Board, but i'm not sure what else I need with it if I go that route. Thanks in advance

Hi jeff.. I didnt see your post.. I seen your other post with Josh.. Can I use a Delta Tau Universal PMAC Lite Controller ISA Board? Or do you recommend any other way to make this puppy work?

Smile

seiz0r,

Where are you located?

Don't start ripping your machine apart.

The parts in it are very good quality.

How about a chat?

Do you have a instant messenger?

Jeff...

I have an email string around here somewhere....I'll see if I can find it for you. It should give you an idea what you need to get the machine running with the PMAC and original software. Because the cost was so high, I elected to go with a retrofit. Jeff supplied me with a ton of good info. He would be a great source if you have questions on the rework.

I'm located in NY
    my s/n is seizor on aim

Smile

jalessi aim

I have pictures in my gallery that may help Seiz0r. I have copied the web address and sent it to him directly with no luck. Anyone know if he can search for my gallery?

Thanks