586,042 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    i don't think so, depend the inverter price, if the inverter's price is lower than servicing original drive, the better way is replacing with new inverter, you will have 1 year warranty.
    i have installed Toshiba on T1 almost 4 years and no trouble, working 9 hours/day.

The Mitsubishi retro will give you their newer MDS drives units. The kit also comes with some conversion boards so that you do not have to cut and splice any of the cabling. The nice thing about this system is that you will still have a fully closed loop system because the drive runs off of feedback from the motor just like your FR-SX drive did. With most inverters they run in open loop which means in the end that the drive really doesn't know exactly what speed the motor is running. Although some inverters do have an option to install a feedback device.

I checked the Mitsubishi option and it was $8500.00. The Toshiba (VFS11-2150PM-WN 240V/3 Phase, 20HP) drive and heavy duty braking resistor were a mere $2000.00. Another $55.00 in Honda connectors and I hope to be installing this weekend without cutting up the factory Mazak wiring harness. According to Toshiba I can tune this drive to the motor and be off less than 1 % on actual motor speed due to the open loop operation. The only problem I see is that if during a very heavy cut the spindle could slow due to the load and would not keep up the SFM. I do not run titanium so even a 10% loss would not make that much difference. I don't believe that I will see anything close to 10% loss due to typically not pushing this small of machine that hard and I don't typically run parts over 10-12" in length and 5" or less in diameter. Does anyone see anything wrong with my theories?
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

Sounds like an incredible savings! Is the VSF11 model 15Kw? I wonder if this application would work on a gear shifting model? Let us know how this works out! We are on a "HOW MUCH?!!!!! I can't afford that!" budget ourselves.
    sorry, didn't notice the 20 HP in the description-disregard the 2nd line.

Mine has 2 gears so I will hopefully have an answer in the next couple of days! I hear you on the HOW MUCH?!!! budget.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

To Machinist360 : how much power your motor?
    you can get good ACC/DEC(Braking) if your inverter power is more than 15 Kw, at least 2.5 kw bigger.
    you will not get overload alarm on Acc/Dec.
    use recomended braking resistor.

you can get good ACC/DEC(Braking) if your inverter power is more than 15 Kw, at least 2.5 kw bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by nastek View Post

It is a 15kw (20hp) motor, 3 phase 220v and the 15kw drive is the largest Toshiba makes in the 200 - 240 volt model. It would be nice to over drive it though.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

use 380v for bigger power

Thanks to nastek I have my new drive up and running! The wiring and mounting was the easy part it was the parameters that were difficult to understand do to local Toshiba tech support being little to no help. Nastek walked me through them and I was up and running in 10 minutes. I will be making parts tomorrow and due to the performance I've seen this far I don't expect any problems. Spindle RPM is within about 1 % of programmed RPM which is not a problem with anything other than Titanium and I don't believe that little discrepency will make a lot of difference there. The 2 speed gear box hasn't posed any sort of problem and I didn't have to hack up any wiring harness's due to purchasing a few Honda connectors. To mount I simply removed the old drive and drilled and tapped 4 holes on the original mounting rails and screwed it in. I haven't installed the braking resistor yet because Toshiba builds them to order and has a 2 - 4 week leadtime. The spindle stops fairly quickly and I can probably do everything short of rigid tapping the way it is. I will post again as soon as I make some chips and let you know how it did.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

It's just little help, today i just finished new installation on Mazak QT10 with new controller GREAT CNC (China), hi. Gear 3500 rpm, and get fast ACC and DEC.

Well, we made good parts on the retro today. Cutting 303 SS the spindle ran like a dream. I'm not sure but I think I actually have more torque than before. I need to cut some larger diameter parts to know for certain, but no concerns at all at this point. For fun I even drilled in 2nd gear and I could not hear the motor being loaded up like I expected. I haven't really tuned in the ACC and DEC parameters yet because I'm still waiting on my braking resistor but if it gets any better than it is now I will be really impressed. I will never have an old spindle drive repaired again!
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

We cut 1-3/8 16 UN class 2G ID threads today and had no trouble w/ thread lead. 800 RPM in mild steel and cut 100 parts w/ out indexing the insert .750 L.O.C. in 2nd gear just for fun. Also the braking resistor arrived today, I will put it in in the next few days and let you know the results.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

Sounds great.
    some people still love vintage driver, pay expensive just for repair.

Regards
    Nastek
    Indonesia

Sounds great.
    some people still love vintage driver, pay expensive just for repair.

Regards
    Nastek
    Indonesia

Great info Nastek! This is definitely good news today to hear that people are retrofitting old QT 10's with success. I have a Mazak QT 10 that Mazak wants $3,330 to repair my FR-SX-2-11K Spindle controller. I just left a message with our local Toshiba/Mitsubishi rep on retrofitting our CNC with a new controller drive.

Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

ABB drive or Toshiba drive?

Hi guys, I priced out the Toshiba and an ABB drive from the local Galco company. Is this the same Toshiba drive you guys have installed? The local guys know the ABB system better it sounds like. Do you think the ABB will work just the same? Galco said that the ABB has a dynamic braking where the Toshiba didn't. They made it sound pretty easy to install, but I haven't ever attempted something along these lines before. What do you recommend? It's almost a $400 difference in price!

ACS355-03U-31A0-2 - ABB INDUSTRIAL SYSTEMS INC DRIVE, AC, 10HP, 240V, 31.0A, CT, OP 240Vin 3PH NO KEYPAD W/DB TRANS 8.0"Hx10.2"Wx6.7"D ACS355
    Item Number: ACS355-03U-31A0-2-ABBI
    Description: DRIVE, AC, 10HP, 240V, 31.0A, CT, OP
    240Vin 3PH NO KEYPAD W/DB TRANS
    8.0"Hx10.2"Wx6.7"D ACS355
    Price: $713.89

VFS11-2075PM-WN - TOSHIBA DRIVE AC 230V 10HP 33A 8.7"x7.1"x6.7" (HxWxD)
    Item Number: VFS11-2075PM-WN-TOSH
    Description: DRIVE AC 230V 10HP 33A
    8.7"x7.1"x6.7" (HxWxD)
    Price: $1,093.32

Thanks for the help,
    Benjamin Barch
    Barch Designs
    877-201-9771

I think you should use Toshiba, i don't know ABB performance, from the spec, ABB only has 31A Max. current.
    You can't get faster ACC/DEC than toshiba, and you should buy keypad.
    Mitsubishi freqrol is recomended, or you can use Fuji Frenic, more cheaper than Toshiba.
    but if you think ABB is quite good, no problems using ABB.

Hello,

I find this very interesting. I wonder though if this would work on a Mori Seiki lathe? It's in an early-mid 80's SL-1A. It needs to either have the spindle drive repaired, or have a new one installed/retrofitted. The drive is a Yaskawa 626MT, it's a 7.5Kw unit. The spindle is rated for 6000rpm.

Nastek,

Do you have any experience with these drives on Yaskawa powered equip? Anyone else?

Sorry for posting a Yaskawa/Mori question in the Mazak section, but couldn't pass by the discussion.

I will also post in the correct section.

If I can't find a cost effective solution, this machine will probably go to the junkyard. Yaskawa want's $7500 for a replacement unit!

Thanks,
    Nate

Hi Nate,
    Check this, http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmspindle.nsf/%28DocID%29/TKUR-5EKSVU/$File/NTR0010.pdf
    This Drive is similar with inverter, you can use it.
    Btw, if you want quick ACC/DEC, you must use 11KW, because yaskawa driver have maximum current 45A, and inverter 7.5Kw have 30-33A peak current.
    Hope can solve your problem.

Page 2 of 5 1234