586,108 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Add a VFD spindle to a Techno Isel LC4896

Add a VFD spindle to a Techno Isel LC4896

Has anybody added a VFD and spindle to a Techno Isel LC4896 that was originally set up with the porter-cable router?

Here's my situation:
    The old 120v router is only controlled by a simple relay. The new VFD requires 220v and I don't think I can just kill the power to the drive like I do to the old router.

I have the small PCI card with the standard control box. I know that the controller card does not have a riser card attached to it. I think my only option is running an on/off switch though the relay on the servo drive box. I hope the VFD that I ordered has something like that.

I ordered the VFD and spindle from:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160306236695
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250339537581

I have pictures of the Techno servo control box that is mounted on the router itself if anybody needs it.

The last thought is- How am I going to power a small pump to cool the spindle?

vfd conversion

I'm in similar situation to you now. Same spindle. My machine is shop built. I got a diferent inverter based on advice from two suppliers. http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...0-015NFU2.html I'm hoping I can turn this on and off by simple relay, but haven't received my inverter yet. Cable is also hard to find for this, and I've some on order from a New Jersey supplier. If you want to dovetail with me, there's a minimum order of $35 from them, and the cable is about $2.50 a foot. Call me soon for this 413 624-3048
    I've tried water cooling with this pump http://anythingsaltwater.com/rio-180...mp-p-1422.html and it gives me about 8 oz/minute, which might be adequate, but I think I"d like about twice that, and will try a bigger pump. Also, how to attach ground wire to spindle, with only three prong connector to spindle?

Wow, It sounds like you have done more work than me in setting things up. I am currently waiting for some kind of notification that my spindle has shipped.

For wiring I think I am going to go with some 16 gauge UL listed 4 strand shielded speaker wire for $.69/ft.

I like that pump you chose. It sounds like it is long lasting and the price is not bad either. I think the flow rate would be enough. All you would have to do is measure the temp. of the water on the return hose or feel any heat on the spindle to see if it is doing an adequate job. I asked the Keling guy what kind of flow rate we would need for the 22KW spindle. Check out:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55724

I have received the VFD and it came with english instructions! I haven't read them yet but, I think there might be an on/forward switch that could be triggered by a relay closing. I just have to do some more homework.

Let me know hat you think.

I did a little checking and the pump you selected is not going to work. You would need a pump to supply around 76 fl oz/min! for 2-2.5 L/min!

chinese spindle

Here's a current thread on the relay. Apparently one needs a DC relay, which I don't have, but they're cheap. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...168#post549168

Figuring out how to wire it is another matter altogether! The Hitachi VFD manual is in English, and an electrical engineer would have no trouble with it, but it's over 250 pages of dense stuff!
    Thanks for the pump heads up - I guess I need almost 10x the flow of the one I have according to Keling. That's probably possible with a bigger aquarium pump, maybe this one ; http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog...Pumps-692-gph/ .
    I think you'd need to compare ratings at high head, as it takes a lot of force to get through the spindle. Using 1/4" ID tubing glued or taped over the 3/16" "required for the connections to the spindle would help too.
    I have need for small o.d. and great flexibility on cable, and I worry about shielding issues, so I'll wait and pay more for the spiffy VFD cable I have on order(Lapp Olflex). Best, Al

Isn't an AC relay the same as a DC relay. I mean, the contacts close or open when triggered by the low voltage side. It would not matter if the the signal on the high side of the relay is AC or DC. The relay might need a de-bouncing circuit but I could be wrong, the VFD might have one built in.

I read that post it was very interesting. I wish I could run this router with Mach 3. Unfortunately they will not let me with the proprietary cards and servo amps.

Cool

It's alive!

The relay works wonderfully! I can turn it on or off via simple relay! Now I have to work out how to control a pump using the coolant relay on the servo amplifier board.

I definitely need some 4 strand shielded wire for my 2.2kW spindle. Temporarily, I used unshielded wire, and the electrical noise it's giving off is causing my limit switches to have fits.

Did you ground the spindle via pin 4 on the connector? I also assume you ran the shield back to ground at the VFD? How did the speaker wire work out?

Also, in regards to the relay control - are you switching a 10V control signal via the relay, or something else? Ie. Using the VFD speed control as an on/off switch? Or are you actually switching 220V to cut power to the VFD? I'm going to investigate those 10V spindle speed control boards, but that's another project.

Thanks,

Steve

Smile

Hi Steve,

On my spindle the 4th pin was missing, I just looped the ground wire that runs along the shielding to one of the connector's screws for securing the wire to the connector. You should have your limit switched wired with shielded wire as well- just in case! All my grounding wires from the shielding to the VFD, power supply, and servo amps are all grounded to the same terminal bar. The speaker wire works great! If you have a small machine that will put tight bends in the cable constantly you should look into a better more flexible wire but for my 48X96" beast it was a best buy!

The VFD is NOT powered by the relay in the control box. The relay triggers the forward control switch only. I think I am going to look into a DPDT relay so I can switch the pump on at the same time that the relay starts.

I wish I could run Mach 3 on my large mill so I could easily ad the spindle control board but the stupid proprietary TechnoCNC junk won't let me.