586,626 active members*
2,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

odd X Axis issue

Been awhile, the Fadal has been running well for the last few months.
    But there is always a catch. Recently, I get a X axis fault #17. I shut the machine down, power back up, do the CS, and off and running again.
    Today is where it gets weird....
    Had a part shift, broke the endmill, and some vibration from the spindle due to the endmill now in the shape of a Ball. Replace the endmill, perform the CS and go to move the table with the JOGWHEEL, and the table takes off full tilt in the X axis, full speed!! Scared the heck outta me.
    Now, shutting the machine off and re-boot, does no good. Messed around with it for an hour or so, swapped the Y to the X, fault followed to the Y. So, I;m thinking I have a driver board not playing nice.
    So, took a break, beat on the kids for some evening fun, and went back out.
    Got the CS to take, but again, when jogging the table, in the X axis, the table will move on it's own, the more I turn the wheel, the faster the table moves.
    What the heck is this all about?
    What a way to start the New Year!! YEE HAW!!
    Smitty

Smittys800--
    The error #17 indicates a pluse count at the zero cross over is too large. The problem would most normally be either the 1010 controller card, the resolver feed back cable of the resolver itself.
    I hope that helps.

Neal

Thanks Neal,
    Will look into that. As for the Resolver, is that something that can be cleaned, and is that located in the servo motor.
    Smitty

Little update...
    Spoke with Keith at K-Mac today, his thought was the Resolver. So, once I got home, removed the resolver, blew out some dust, re-assembled, and threw the switch!
    Well, the table did not mis-behave, so after and hour of running a program, with no spindle, just cutting air if you will, let er go, so far so good, but I do think I am on borrowed time with the resolver. Once I get some stuff done, will install a new unit.
    HUGE thanks to Neal and Keith at K-mac.
    Enjoy the weekend, I'm stuck workin!!!
    Smitty

Thanks for the feedback!!

Love hearing the outcome of problems. Sometimes people do not update after a solution is tried and it is great to have this stuff for the arcives!!

Steve

Totally agree!!
    That is why I came back with some sort of update, just hope it may help others.
    Smitty

Smitty--
    Me to, what he said!!

Neal :=))

Guess who is back in town!!
    Was working the good ol FADAL tonight, and boom, error 17 on the x-axis.
    Was able to get a CS to take once, touched the jog wheel, and the table just took off at Mach 9. Went about 6" and stopped. Hit the jog button to reset the drives, and no one wants to play anymore.
    Looks like it's time to order that resolver, @@@@@
    Smitty

More updates to the update,
    Pulled the Resolver from the servo, and there is some serious BADNESS in there.
    Will only turn, maybe 180 deg. before it stops..... So off the Kmac for more goodies.
    As usual, I will update my updates,
    Enjoy the weekend,
    Smitty

I hope people DO read these, and I'm not just taking up space.
    Took the resolver apart, found the bearings siezed up, so have a new unit from the Boys at K mack on the way!

We do read these and thank you for the follow ups. It sounds like maybe moisture may have gotten to the bearings. Can you tell?
    Steve

No moisture that I can see, very dry inside the case. Actually the outer case of the resolver looks new. But I'm sure this machine has TONS of hours since I bought it used. Slowly it is getting the TLC is so badly needs@!
    Should have the new part on Wensday, and go from there.
    Smitty

More people read these than you would imagine!

Neal

I run two Fadal 15XTs at work and completely seized resolver is pretty common problem. Happens once or twice in few years.

Its good to have spare motor and resolver around always.

Wish that was the case here!!!
    BIG BOOM today.
    Installed new Resolver Friday, no change.
    Found a local FADAL repair tech, got one from him, same deal.
    So, did some digging, found that the servo had been re-wired at some point for the old resolver.
    Well, the reason for the big boom is still unknown, what happened....
    Re-installed the first resolver, hit the jog button, and the table took off so fast to the left, that I totally missed the E-stop, table just about went through the left door, BANG.
    Pulled the STOP rod out of the bearing block, and was nice enough to spin all those little itty, bitty balls from the screw... all over the floor.
    So, as for now, I am totally screwed.
    More to come as we dig into this little wonder!
    Smitty

OUCH!

If i were you i would double check all resolver and motor related wiring from axis cards to motor if there is partly broken wire. Happened with one of mine 15XT once.

Been a while, figured I'd update.
    After working the street corners, stealing the kids allowance money, and begging in general, got it back together today.
    What I found was....
    The servo that was on the machine was not OEM, and had some ingenous wiring to boot, so all in all, after the ball screw repair and a new Servo motor, flipped the switch, closed my eyes and ran.
    So far, seems to be working ok, will toss some chips in the AM and see what happens.
    Smitty

WHEN WORKING WITH SERVO MOTORS RESOLVERS, BETTER OFF TO REMOVE THE MOTOR FROM THE MACHINE.

I had a memory corruption error and my table took off in the Y direction. I put my hand on the vise and tried to stop it. Didnt work however. Thankfully my table was only on impulse power and I was able to hit the EStop before it ran out of travel. I was not quite so lucky however on X when again, I had a memory corruption error pop up and this time the table banged the end of the screw block. Thankfully again, no damage except my ego I did not hit the EStop in good time.

Now, I know what is causing my memory corruption. I changed the System board from Sys 96 to Sys97, to Sys101.3 and it was not happy I did not do a memory erase to eash of the system boards.

the one thing I cannot get to work is downloading of my programs from the MACHINE to the laptop with CIMCO Edit. I dont have a floppy disk drive in my machine to be able to output to. 1993 machine.

USE THE RS232 PORT FROM THE MACHINE TO YOUR PC(NO LAPTOP)

Page 1 of 2 12