586,337 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Another year++ passed by. I got things painted in a nice green colour this summer. In august I got a new job without any workshop or machining possibilities, so I had to take things home. The move made some scratches in the paint. Finishing the mill has low priority, but I have fitted and adjusted the 20mm rails on the z-axis.
    The largest bits on the "to do" list is:
    -Ball nut mounts
    -z-axis slide
    -spindle+mount
    -Main table.
    Without acsess to milling equipment life is a bit harder, but some of the parts could be cast from epoxy/granite.

The controller from my router is built to handle this and larger machines.
    Smoothstepper and 5x Gecko 203v running 72Volts.

Regards
    Lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-17_22-39-10_843.jpg  

Life is full of detours.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad right now. Further it looks like you have the major pieces done so having the final parts machined by a shop shouldn't impact costs that bad.

I really like it when people take a different approach. Hopefully you can get this online sometime soon so that people can see a working option.

Quote Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
    Another year++ passed by. I got things painted in a nice green colour this summer. In august I got a new job without any workshop or machining possibilities, so I had to take things home. The move made some scratches in the paint. Finishing the mill has low priority, but I have fitted and adjusted the 20mm rails on the z-axis.
    The largest bits on the "to do" list is:
    -Ball nut mounts
    -z-axis slide
    -spindle+mount
    -Main table.
    Without acsess to milling equipment life is a bit harder, but some of the parts could be cast from epoxy/granite.

The controller from my router is built to handle this and larger machines.
    Smoothstepper and 5x Gecko 203v running 72Volts.

Regards
    Lars

Not so much of a detour, just life taking other directions :-)
    It would have been finished a long time ago, if I haven't started the router build at the same time. It has been a sucsessful learning experience, and much of my curiousity for cnc has been satisfied.
    The possibility of having some work done, and buy a finished cartridge spindle have been in my mind too. I'll get it done eventually!

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Life is full of detours.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad right now. Further it looks like you have the major pieces done so having the final parts machined by a shop shouldn't impact costs that bad.

I really like it when people take a different approach. Hopefully you can get this online sometime soon so that people can see a working option.

Not so much of a detour, just life taking other directions :-)
    Often that is a detour.
    It would have been finished a long time ago, if I haven't started the router build at the same time.
    This sounds familiar. That is starting too many projects and not having the time nor money to complete them all.
    It has been a sucsessful learning experience, and much of my curiousity for cnc has been satisfied.
    The possibility of having some work done, and buy a finished cartridge spindle have been in my mind too. I'll get it done eventually!

Lars
    There are other possibilities, for example an old Bridgeport or similar mill head could do the job. They are easy to find even around here. You don't have to do everything yourself and to your own design. The big problem with old mill heads is that they are too slow for modern machining techniques.

Detour; of course you are right. Just my lacking knowledge of the english language :-)
    Regarding other mill heads; when I started the project it was drawn around the head of my Emco lathe mill attachment, but for the reasons you name, I have left that idea.

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Often that is a detour.

This sounds familiar. That is starting too many projects and not having the time nor money to complete them all.

There are other possibilities, for example an old Bridgeport or similar mill head could do the job. They are easy to find even around here. You don't have to do everything yourself and to your own design. The big problem with old mill heads is that they are too slow for modern machining techniques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20_01_07.jpg  

Detour; of course you are right. Just my lacking knowledge of the english language :-)
    Actually you are doing fine, I had to look to see where you are from, so I'd have to say your English pretty good
    Regarding other mill heads; when I started the project it was drawn around the head of my Emco lathe mill attachment, but for the reasons you name, I have left that idea.
    Interesting, I've never seen one of those heads. This might be passable though if you can easily change ratios in the drive. The other possibility would be to remotoring with a 3Phase with a variable speed drive. The spindle may require a bit of rework but if you already have a head you are 90% of the way there.
    Lars

If you still have the head I'd work to mount it and then use it a bit to find the weak spots. If you need more RPMs or other features you can update as experience dictates.

Page 2 of 2 12