586,036 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Moving column benchtop mill

I started my ramblings almost one year ago in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50256
    Since then I have made some decisions, cut some steel, and bought some stuff, and I will make this a new project thread. Still don't hope for very frequent updates. This is going to take time!
    Steel parts will only be spot welded, to avoid stress releiving, and then filled with epoxy/granite.
    I got the 20mm rails and all 12 carriages from Marchant Dice today. That was the first cash spent:-)

Regards
    Lars
    Cnc newbie

Pics: 1.The final layout in cad, used to make laser cutting files.
    2. Checking parts for fit, and starting to weld pieces together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finaldwg.jpg   jan09.jpg  

out of this world. very cool.

so far so good
    did you intend to put some enforcement ribs before the epoxy/granite

how much do you expect it to cost to build? What kind of motors and drives do you plan to use?

Danny

Hesham: ribs; maybe if they are needed to get the top surface flatter.

Danny: Very hard to estimate cost, but as an alternative to buying a X4 with accessories, I am prepared to use up to $5000. Depending on spindle solution etc.

I am looking at the Cnc Brain for control http://www.safeguardrobotics.com/def...x?tab=cncbrain,
    and glass scales for closed loop operation.
    The machine has provision for 34 size motors. Torque not decided, but in the area 600-800oz/in.

Rather than adapting the build to parts scrounged from ebay, I rather use the time to save for new equipment.
    I was planning to do this build in spare hours at work, but as it looks, there will not be many of those:-(

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
    Rather than adapting the build to parts scrounged from ebay, I rather use the time to save for new equipment.
    I was planning to do this build in spare hours at work, but as it looks, there will not be many of those:-(

Lars
    I have mixed emotions about used vs new. I have a few Pacific Scientific motors I picked up on ebay for less than $50 each, each with an encoder and pulleys rated in the neighborhood of 880oz. To drive them I picked up slo-syn 7 amp stepper drives for about $60 each. I think if you watch long enough there will be something come through ebay that is an unbelievable deal for excellent quality.

Tell me about the composite that your filling the thing with, buying it prepackaged or mixing it up your self?

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dannystooblue View Post
    I think if you watch long enough there will be something come through ebay that is an unbelievable deal for excellent quality.

Tell me about the composite that your filling the thing with, buying it prepackaged or mixing it up your self?

Danny
    Of course you can get high quality parts if you wait around long enough. I have no problem buying used.

I will propably use the 1100 resin with very slow hardener, from R&G http://shop.ezentrum.de/4DCGI/ezshop?hid=27&sprachnr=2,
    and just fill with blasting sand and small pebbles , up to 4-5mm size.
    This is for dampening, so stuctural strength is off less concern.

Lars

Very cool!!, don't see alot of horizontal builds on here. I would like to build a horizontal one day if I ever finish my vertical.

Pr. definition I think this is a vertical mill, as the spindle will be mounted upright.
    Not much progress yet. I have just ordered the epoxy, 13kgs should do it?
    Best thing is that we have a large DEA cmm machine at work, and I am being trained on it this week. It will be a great help when it get to aligning rails and axis.

Lars

Long time no posting on this one:-(
    That i mostly because I was given some ISEL linear components for free, and decided to build a 2'x2' router which is now almost finished.

Here is the progress I have made since january:

Filled it up with sand and small rocks & slow epoxy. By weight the epoxy is less than 10% of the mix.

I have mounted a 3mm x 20mm strip of steel to reference one of the rails on both x an y-axis to. Then I milled the rail mounting areas flat, and milled the reference ledges 90 deg to each other.

This is mostly how it has been laying around since then. The base went from 43kgs to 108 after filling, and feels like solid rock..
    Most of the hardware is on hand. 900oz/in motors, ball screws, support bearings etc. I also bought a chinese 2.2kw spindle and VFD that might be used.
    I am presently building a control box that I will use on the router to begin with. It contains a 70V power supply, Smoothstepper, 4 Gecko 203's, Homann DC-06 speed control for the VFD. I will also have a separate 5 and 12volt power supply and the VFD it self in there.

Lars

After I tack welded the base together, I noticed that I had got the top upside down.. No problem other than that I have to update the drawings.
    Good thing it isn't a house that I'm making:-)

Lars

Nice work! Keep going!

I wanted to ask you about your epoxy mix that you used. I'm building a mill type cnc useing 80/20 and plan on taking it through several revisions as my machining capabilities increases to make it stronger and more accurate. Do you think it would behoove me to fill the extrusions with a similar filling?

I'll just say that it depends on the design really. I built an 80/20 mill and it didn't actually need filling. I had initially planned to fill it. I will say too, that the filling wouldn't hurt and could only help.
    Lee

Any updates on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
    Good thing it isn't a house that I'm making:-)

Couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by yngndrw View Post
    Any updates on this?

Nice house!
    Sorry, no large updates. Since I finished my router, I have concentrated on learning how to use it, and also getting further into cad/cam.

I have measured the base in our cmm at work, so I can start mounting the x and y-axis rails with the required shims. The column needs the last welding, and filling.

Lars

I really like the way you've gone about this design Lars, definatley thinking outside the square!

It will be great to see more of it when you find the time to spend on it....something in short supply around here also

Cheers Liam

Small update, in this order:
    -The z-axis column have been filled
    -bearing supports for x and y have been glued in place. The axial support slots in place, so glue is mostly to secure and support. used 3M DP490 glue.
    -Checked that there was enough room for adjustment, so that the screws run parallell and planar to axis.
    -Machined surfaces for z rails.

The next machining step will be the underside of column. This will have to be planar and angular true to most everything I have done so far. Some use of shims for the final tramming is expected:-)

Lars

That really is a good looking build - congratulations!

I can't really get a sense of scale from the pictures - how big is it and what are the travels?

It is a desktop machine, travels are 400x200x200mm. I decided I might try to make something myself, other than buying a X3 type mill.
    Finding or making a good spindle will be a challenge though.

Lars

Page 1 of 2 12