586,121 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Saving a Text file?

Saving a Text file?

I was drawing a circle to put a text into it. I only want to use the cad part of bobcad. I found another program cam program to run my plasma machine much easier. The problem I am having is the program really will import Hpgl much better than the only other format it can read dxf. The dxf does not do a very good job with text and I wonder if there is any way to convert my bobcad drawing into a Hpgl file or some other format that might do a better job. Corel will do it fine, but I would like to use bobcad for something since I have it and do not have Corel. Anyway I am using a little program called Sheetcam and for plasma it is way beyond Bobcad in ease of use.

Here is a link to Sheetcam
    http://www.sheetcam.com/

Les that builts sheetcam, could give you guys a few pointers in simple plasma cutting cam setups.

Hpgl

Hello Scott,
    Version 17 isn't a custom sheet metal software program. However, we do offer a complete nesting application that you might find useful for what you do. V17 will not output HPGL as it only outputs G-Code and does have built-in RS 232 as well as DNC capabilities for PC based controls if needed. Keep in mind here that the Version 17 is more for milling and turning, yet has profile milling functionality and multiple cutting options in the CAM for different cutting methods. The "Custom" menu in the CAM can be setup easily to add macros and options that may make things faster and easier for the machining process. Also, if you would like higher level CAD features you may want to look into Version 19. In any case, thank you for the feedback.
    Sincerely,
    CNC Dude

I aready have 19 and for what I need it to do at this time, it's not cutting it. hehe

Bobcad 19 came from my table maker, and you would think it would of been more suited to some of the things you would do with plama cutting. I am sure once I get more involved it will have some applications. I just like the way sheetcam works with my Wincnc control box better. It so simple it's scary.

I just thought I could use some of the drawing parts of Bobcad I like and find a way to covert it into a usable system with my Sheetcam.I guess it looks like Corel is about my only answer at this point. I can use Bobcad it in the dfx format but not any other one.

Scott

hehe

Scott,
    Here's an idea. PM me with some items that would make your sheet metal cutting really easy in BobCAD-CAM and I'll see what we can do to have these functions added. I need specifics in order to do this. Over to you...
    CNCdude

my two cents

Have you also tried vectorizing the text before saving the file as .dxf. commonly text comes through on any dxf file as alphabet soup. If you vectorize it first(convert it to lines and arcs), you should have no trouble with the output.

Regards