586,077 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > "New" Patriot Tri-Power is here!
Page 1 of 5 123

"New" Patriot Tri-Power is here!

I posted a while back that I took advantage of a deal Shoptask was running on "new" Tri-Power Bridgemills with the DRO and 3-axis CNC. This is a new machine, but is produced at their old factory in China. Not the new ISO facility the patriots are done in.

I took delivery a few weeks ago and got it somewhat uncrated. A serious injury (shattered femur) has kept me from really getting into it, but I can already see some updates have been done to the machine as compared to the posts, descriptions and pictures I have found of the "old" machines. The first thing I noticed was a lack of the old black plastic caps on the handles and levers. All of the handles are one piece, chromed with knurled ends instead of those caps everyone seems to hate. There is a spindle indexer on the lathe. The drawbar seem to be centered when it is tightened and the milling vice seems to be of much better quality than what I've seen previously. I can't wait to really tear into it and see if I'm gonna regret my purchase or if I'm gonna be pleasantly surprised as I have been thus far.

The only complaints I have so far are that I was supposed to get a compound tool post and I did not. I got a 4-tool turret type which may be a blessing if the compound is as useless as some have claimed it to be. There were also a few of the tools missing. John at Shoptask has assured me that this will be corrected. I will post updates as I get into the machine, but I'm a long way off from that. At least 2 months before I'll be able to start walking again. Its been 5 months already. I'm losing my mind!

I thank everyone in advance for your anticipated help and patience with all of the posts and questions I'm sure I will be posting as soon as I get into the thick of things!

Fast-
    Keep us posted on how things work out. I missed out on the Patriot prototype, but as soon as I get my Quadra Lift sold, I am going to go with the Patriot or maybe one of the Tri Powers like you.

I will be sure to keep you updated. I realized I posted "Patriot" in the title. It's not a Patriot, it's the old Tri-Power. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get to my garage safely. We're covered in snow and ice right now and my garage is detached from the house, so I don't want to take the chance of falling and setting my healing process back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast01 View Post
    I will be sure to keep you updated. I realized I posted "Patriot" in the title. It's not a Patriot, it's the old Tri-Power. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get to my garage safely. We're covered in snow and ice right now and my garage is detached from the house, so I don't want to take the chance of falling and setting my healing process back.
    i have a tri-power i will give you, just to take this pos off of my hands.

norvil1 - I'll take the tri power

Where are you located. I can pick it up right away!

hattiesburg,ms.

Pick up

I am in Weatherford Texas, and I can be there by mid afternoon tomorrow if you are serious. Is the machine in working condition?

its 2 years old and less than 10 hrs on it. you can have the basic machine, i will keep the electronics and dro.

Address and phone number

If you email me your address and phone number, I will come and get it tomorrow. My email address is [email protected]

Jsmith
    What happened? Did you get the machine? He offerred to give it away a couple times before but it was too far away for me to go- The original offer was the entire unit with CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter90 View Post
    Jsmith
    What happened? Did you get the machine?
    I am going to pick it up.

j smithwe: the serial # is 06189

Thanks norvil1. See you Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithwe View Post
    I am going to pick it up.
    Whatever happened- was it a real deal?

Real deal

Yes, I went and picked it up. We took off the DRO and the servos and ball screws, and I brought the rest home. It was about 9 hours one way, but it was definately worth the effort. Thanks to norvil1!

Sounds like a real deal- Did he have the original acme screws to replace the ball screws?

screws

Yes, but they had been cut off and the ends were welded onto the ball screws. I will have to fab some new ends and I will be in business.

well jsmithwe have you got it running yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithwe View Post
    Yes, I went and picked it up. We took off the DRO and the servos and ball screws, and I brought the rest home. It was about 9 hours one way, but it was definately worth the effort. Removing the servos and DRO is understandable, but the ball screws only fit this machine and he originally complained that they had too much backlash.
    Wonder what the motivation was for that.

Norvil can sell the ball screws or cut them and use them elsewhere . When jsmithwe starts spending money to get the machine up and running he will finally see what he is up against. A albatross that will suck the life out of him with frustration. How can one machine be so poorly machined and poorly put together as this one. It doesn't seem humanly possible but there it is a shoptask.

Page 1 of 5 123