586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X4+ Overheating

I have had my X4+ for about 3 months and up till now it has been working fine. Over the past few days it has been giving me grief. I will start cutting and for no apparent reason the spindle just stops. All the steppers keep going.

I am suspicious that it is overheating as it is summer down here and the temperature of the workshop is sitting around 34 deg ( 93F). This afternoon I took the back off and held it open with cable ties and positioned a large fan to blow across the back of all the electronics. It seems to be better but I am not confident that this will fix it.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

What speed?

I have noticed a problem with the way the signal to control the speed is processed.
    If you run the machine in manual, and keep turning up the spindle speed does it get to a point where it stops if you increase the knob too far?

If that's the case try reducing the commanded speed to 3000 RPM, and sneak it up a bit at a time (mach3 slider on second screen) until you find the maximum that will work. The bottom end of the speed range may have problems too.

Now backoff 10% and use that as your maximum program speed.

(IMHO) The AD conversion algorithm in machine control, is poorly designed.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

on my x4+ if i turn the knob all the way it just hits the max and thats it
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Fails at lower sppeds too

The issue is that for 3 months I have been able to cut at 3000 RPM with out a problem. Over the past few weeks the machine has developed a new problem where in the middle of cutting the spindle just stops. This could be anywhere for 30 seconds to 3 min into the job). I suspected a heating issue as for the past few weeks it has been very hot in Brisbane.

I have tried running at lower speeds 2600 rpm and the problem still remains. The strange thing is I can run the spindle at 3200 RPM in manual mode for 10 Min without the motor stalling. But then the only thing running is the spindle,(no steppers) and ithe spindle is not under load.

The only way I can get the spindle running again is to abort the tool path and restart. I have tried varing the speed from Mach 3 but it makes no diference. If I am lucky when I restart the tool path I get a little further than I did the previous time.

I have even gone to the extent of getting a replacement PC and doing a clean Windows install with the latest ver of Mack 3, just incase it was a Windows / Mach 3 issue.

Cooling fans

Des,
    I live in Perth (Western Australia for those who don't know!!) and we have recently also had very hot weather
    (49deg.C yesterday). Although I have not experienced any problems, I'm still considering installing two fans into the rear electric's panel, one sucking with a foam filter, and one blowing (extracting).
    I would be interested to know if you do this mod and if it solves the problem??

Martin
    Martin

my bet would be on electronic component but its weird that it will run in manual, does it stall in manual if you take a cut, cuz you said you can run it a 3600 for 10 min in manual but is it taking a cut
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Cooling fans

I'll be adding a cooling fan today so I'll let you know what happens.

have you turn on the watch dog?
    anyway,we got your email address,and will contact you directly.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Syil, please let us in on the secret. What is a watch Dog?

Martin
    Martin

in last canton fair we also face same problem.
    the all axis moving,but spindle stop,so,we call the factroy engieer,and screen display said Watch dog on.
    it is a MACH3 software set.i`m not sure this funcation use for that.but it is look like very similar.....
    anyway.if next time stop,check the mach3 screen frist,
    or tomorrow i scan this pic for you.

A watchdog explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Long View Post
    Syil, please let us in on the secret. What is a watch Dog?

Martin
    SORRY, I must be more careful with the named terms.
    In Mach3 the regular output is CHARGE PUMP (ref 5.3.4 in MAch3 Manual)
    Generically I was using the term WATCHDOG.
    I Believe the BOB has the hardware. You can disable it! There is a jumper. SYIL ?? Please answer below. Thanks.

Hi Martin.
    If I remember rightly, your watchdog was initially disabled because you had no machine movement.

Mach3 has an option of outputting a regular watchdog pulse on a selected line.
    The typical way to generate a watchdog pulse is the after all parts of a program that need processing have done their bit, then the main program outputs a regular pulse. If any part of the program stops working due to faults, or important events like the big RESET screen button is hit, or an external emergency stop is hit, then the watchdog pulse stops.

At the machine end, if the watchdog is enabled, the machine should function normally while receiving watch dog pulses. If the pulses stop then all drives and motion is disabled.

The syil problem is the documentation and maybe their understanding.

1. How do enable or disabled the watchdog. (on the BOB)
    2. Which LPT cable pin is dedicated to the watchdog.
    3. What is the watchdog timeout time. How long before machine stops after pulses missing.
    4. What is disabled, and how, when the pulses are missing.
    5. What indication shows on the X4 screen? (probably none??)
    6. What is the procedure to reset the fault condition.

Martin. Don't ask Frans. He has no documentation that I know of.

SYIL. Please answer ALL the questions to improve customer satisfaction.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Neil,
    Think you got confussed, it wasn't me that had the problems.
    The only trouble I have had was the Z axis proximity switch failed, Syil sent me a bag full of replacement switches in an express airbag to Western Australia which I received within four days, great service I thought.
    My only bug is that the E-stop is not instant and the time delay sometimes feels like two weeks. Oh, and backlash in the 4axis??
    I'm satisfied with my X4+, one buy's Chinese machine and one pays the asking price, somtimes one gets good one, sometimes one gets a not so good one, whichever one gets, one must be prepaired to do a little/lots improvement work.

Martin
    Martin

It would be good to start a separate thread on what mods / improvements people have made to their X4+'s. It would be interesting to see what has been done.

Myself I have

Replaces all the grub screws for adjusting the play in the X and Y axis. I can now actually adjust it so there is no noticeable side play in either.

Fitted a switch to the 4th Axis so I can home it.

Built magnetic splash guards so the coolant does not spay everywhere

Added a filter to the drain so none of the metal off cuts make it back around to clog up the coolant jets

Built a touch plate that sets the tool length offset each time you change cutters

New *X* thread! X3 and X4 enhancements and fixes.

Des. Go for it. Start the thread and it will soon get lots of good links.
    Main thing is to make the title field in the reply meaningful in the context.

so martin never got around fixing that backlash in the fourth axis...?

as the picture,the watchdog I point to is refer to the general config in mach3.
    in default,the watchdog is enable,you can disable it.
    the watchdog is only for software,no hardware design for it.
    if the watchdog is work, all movement will stop,not only spindle but also x,y,z axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.jpg  

Ataxy,
    I currently have it in the bottom drawer.
    I started making a Quorn tool and cutter grinder some time ago, then I bought the X4+, when I had backlash problems with the 4axis and realised it was not going to be a quick fix, so I decided to finish the Quorn first and concentrate on one thig at a time.
    I need to do some fancy engraving shortly, so I will need the 4axis, I'm not sure if I will continue trying to fix the Syil, or bite the bullet and buy a real one.
    Martin

charge pump vs watch dog

Quote Originally Posted by syil View Post
    as the picture,the watchdog I point to is refer to the general config in mach3.
    in default,the watchdog is enable,you can disable it.
    the watchdog is only for software,no hardware design for it.
    if the watchdog is work, all movement will stop,not only spindle but also x,y,z axis.
    If you look at the picture you see reference to both a charge pump and a watchdog in 2 seperate lines. Can someone explain the differance.
    Also on the Syil BOB there is a jumper that can be moved to turn the charge pump or off. On the same BOB there is another jumper that is not clearly explained in the "manual"
    Len
    BTW, I will be at Cabin Fever this week end.