586,395 active members*
2,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sandblasting stone

does it take anything more than a regular sandblasting cabinet to blast granit/marble?
    I assume you just use a heavy grit media?

do you just use rubber as the mask? How to you stick the rubber to the stone, is there a specific masking material made for this?

thanks

Blasting glass, metal, rock, etc., is all pretty much the same but you use different grit media and different pressures. For granite I use 70/80 grit and about 90 psi on a pressure pot, if you use a siphon you'll need way more than that.

If you want a great resource on sandblasting/sandcarving I would recommend cuttingedgesandcarving.com - I'm a member there and I truly couldn't have learned all I did there just by trying it out - check it out!

Good luck!

Gary

sandblasting supplies

thanks gary,
    I got a quote from ikonics for their sandblasting cabinet
    CrystalBlast 3024 DP Sandcarver: $ 3,115.00 plus shipping

what's special about a pressure pot and the type of system they quoted me vs. just a regular sanblasting cabinet?

Also will I be able to do really precision sandcarving with such a big cabinet?

Can you comment on Ikonics stuff or any recommendations? They also sell the laser tape mask, and some other neat products as well.

thanks

Ikonics has very nice equipment. Buying from them would be like buying a CNC machine from a well-known manufacturer. There are certain benefits to that but if you are a DIY'er then you can save a ton of money and end up with something that functions virtually the same. Either way, DIY or commercially built, you need to add about $1,000 for a compressor. You can buy one for a lot less, but trust me, you'll need it! Mine is 10.2CFM at 90 PSI and it's just barely adequate for my needs. It was only $400 and the next step up was about $800 at that time, but I wish now I would have paid the extra money...

As for the blasting equipment - I bought a pressure pot and cabinet at Harbor Freight. I already had a dust collector but I bought a cyclone separator just for the sandblasting. I made the hose and nozzle holder and I bought a heavy duty nozzle. If you wait for them to go on sale, you can get the 40lb pressure pot for $90 and their larger cabinet for $199, the dust collector was about $60 and the cyclone was about $90. The parts for the hose and nozzle holder were about $40 and the nozzle was about $40 as well. Add in $400 for a compressor and I have less than $1,000 invested and I saved about $2,000 over the crystalblast system. Add in another $400 for a better compressor and you still have a pretty nice savings.

Ikonics has laser tape and although I have a 25' sample roll, I haven't used it yet. I have a lot that I bought elsewhere that I'm trying use up first. You can also use Anchor 116, it's polyester and is laserable. It's pretty thick, perfect for marble and granite - the tape is too thin for either of them if you want any depth at all. Ikonics also has photo resist that works great for really fine details. I use it for glass and light etching on polished granite and marble. I built the exposure unit, saved about $200 that way.

I am happy to help any way I can. You should also check out the forum I mentioned, I learned a lot of what I know from the very helpful folks there.

Gary