586,075 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Started my Taig enclosure......

Ok, got the frame in the basic form. The frame sitting in front is the door and will sit inside (recessed) into the enclosure frame. I originally wanted to do a Piano hinge but not sure, I think I have another sleeker idea. I also had a good thought on using those little gas struts for supports on each side, much like you see used on truck cap doors or a car hatchback or trunk. I think that'll be a nice feature since I wanted the full frontal opening of the enclosure so I can get around comfortably in there.

I'm going to hold off on making my coolant "tray" as I'm not positive how I'm doing it just yet (probably going with fiberglass cloth and epoxy), and because I use this machine just about daily, I can't just leave it all disconnected until I figure out what I want to do. I went this long without it, I can make do until then. At least getting the enclosure wrapped around the Taig will help keep my little shop clean.

I spend too much time friggin sweeping up

Friggin chips get everywhere as you all know....

Some pics for you........

Dave->..

That looks really nice. Can you tell me a bit about the material you are using? Where did you find that, what is the approximate cost, where do the connectors come from?

thanks
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    That looks really nice. Can you tell me a bit about the material you are using? Where did you find that, what is the approximate cost, where do the connectors come from?

thanks
    bob

Thanks, Bob. It's ''Quickframe" (including the connectors) extruded anodized aluminum tubing from 80/20. Nice stuff but I'll probably use fasteners on each corner just as an extra measure to keep it tight.

By the way, just a note, the lower front 2 30 degree connectors had to be made (I made them from Delrin) as they don't make those.

Dave
    Dave->..

How much does that quick frame stuff cost? How much are the connectors?

Hi Hirudin,

8020 is an excellent company to deal with and very professional.

Here's a link to their "yard Sale" company on ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...2em118Q2el1247

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Hi Hirudin,

8020 is an excellent company to deal with and very professional.

Here's a link to their "yard Sale" company on ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...2em118Q2el1247

Dave
    Thanks, good tip for anyone looking for aluminum extrusions. I've bought from them a few times... In fact, I was suppose to receive an order from them today. Searching for "quickframe" on eBay didn't bring up any results, but now I see that searching for "quick frame" brings up a bunch of results.

I've also tried to find a price list on the 80/20 site several times to no avail. This is one of the big reasons I buy extrusions from Futura Industries primarily.

Judging by a single piece of 1" square, twin flange quick frame that is 96.5" long it's ~35¢ per inch shipped (to me). ~30¢ per inch for single flange currently (shipped). Looks like corners are $2.60 + shipping.

I've been considering building an enclosure like this for a while now. Does anyone know of a decent Canadian dealer for the 80/20 products?

Thanks
    Chris

They have several distributors in Canada. I have never dealt with any of them though.

Go to
    http://www.8020.net/PostalLookup.asp

The postal code field is fussy but if you type in only the first 3 characters of your postal it will work. If you try to enter the full code, it will choke on the space.

bob

I had seen that before. I am wondering if anyone has had positive or negative experiences with any of them. I've found some industrial suppliers are difficult to deal with as a small customer.

Thanks
    Chris

Ok, an update on the enclosure. I have it just about finished but there are quite a few things I still want/need to do yet.

- upper lighting

-cutting doors into the clear side walls for those longer jobs that I may have someday.

- possible upper venting if need be

- Sealing for coolant

- Tool/wrench holders and such

I added an E-Stop to the left rear which is real close to my lathe. It'll be within arms reach just in case I hear anything "crunchy" going on in there lol!

I'm loving the full open front as I need to be able to "get around" in there for various things.

I also moved the spindle to the right rear which is a nice feature and moved the air pump for the nozzle into the cabinet below.

The gas lifts for the door are perfect and I have Mcmaster to thank for that as their directions for figuring what you need are excellent.

Here are a few pics for you:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Encl.jpg   Encl1.jpg   Encl2.jpg   Encl3.jpg  

Encl4.jpg  
    Dave->..

Absolutely awesome enclosure! Like to build one for myself, but having trouble sourcing the aluminum extrusions here in the Great White North. What is the black material in the background of the enclosure? Is this temporary or going to be permanent? Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

Awesome Dave...... So Clean Looking..:cheers:
    Taig Owners Club.......
    Google Search. Taig Owners Club

That looks very cool! Actually, I'm sorta considering taking my enclosure apart and making a new one like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jacmarhal View Post
    Absolutely awesome enclosure! Like to build one for myself, but having trouble sourcing the aluminum extrusions here in the Great White North. What is the black material in the background of the enclosure? Is this temporary or going to be permanent? Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!
    The black material is HDPE, which is nice and strong, and yes, it's permanent. I have the same material on the "floor" as well.

By the way, if any of you do buy this 80/20 stuff, the gaskets for the panels make a world of difference and are very important as they create nice quiet panels and keep a nice tight seal as well.

Thanks for the comments fellas -

Dave
    Dave->..

Not going to lie, that is awesome! Super clean job, love it.

-Jason

Thanks, Jason-

Just an update for you. I rigged up the lighting and a hinged shuttle/pendant holder as well-

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enclwlights.jpg   Enclwlights3shu.jpg   Enclwlights2.jpg   Enclwlights4.jpg  

Shuttleforward.jpg   Shuttleback.jpg  
    Dave->..

Very nice. Now build me one.

Beautiful

I love the design you chose- not a perfect box. Gas struts were a great idea.

1 Question, though- how much did everything cost you? I see plenty of people using 80/20 extruded aluminum for their enclosure, but how much total does that stuff cost you? And how much for the HDPE panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    I love the design you chose- not a perfect box. Gas struts were a great idea.

1 Question, though- how much did everything cost you? I see plenty of people using 80/20 extruded aluminum for their enclosure, but how much total does that stuff cost you? And how much for the HDPE panels?
    The "genuine" 8020 is not all that cheap, but when all is said and done it's not that bad. You can go to www.8020.net and price stuff out, McMaster carries it as well (also all sorts of plastic panels, but I'd check a local source for the best prices). There are also several different import flavors that will run a little less, automation4less.com has some.
    I personally lucked out, a buddy dropped off a couple hundred pounds that someone else had given him. My only cost was the fasteners, which can be very expensive depending on which kind you choose. I used 15 series for the top of my enclosure, and used almost exclusively the end fasteners, as they are relatively cheap, and a couple of the anchor type, which were mixed in with my freebies.
    The stand portion of my enclosure I made from 10 series, 2"x2" material, I only used cap screws on that, similar to the way end fasteners were used, drilling one side to clear the head through, and the other side for just a screw clearance. Tap the end of the opposite part, and you're good to go.
    I still need to get hold of some plastic panels, just more pressing matters at the moment.

Smile Nice Design - Do you have a parts list?

Hi,

You built a great enclosure do you have a parts list for this available? I would like to build one just like it...

Ralph