586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

multicam controller repare or replace?

I bought a used 22x22 moving table Multicam it came out of Bell Helicopter where they used it in there lab. It's approximately 8 years old and very clean.

I have experience using a Wincnc controller that uses a pc to run files and execute commands using either the keyboard or the buttons on the interface. The controller on the Multicam does not use a pc and any manual commands are entered using a pendant,(which is broken).

The controller nameplate calls for 460v/15A. The spindle is a Perske 2hp at 380V, there is a transformer in the controller cabinet to convert the 460v to 380v before the power goes to the invertor. The controller has three boards, (drivers or amps) one for each axis. Various other boards, breakers, fuses, capacitors, resistors, relays, etc.. Harware includes a tool touch off pad, proximity home limit swithes, and coolant lines. It is capable of tool offsets, spindle speed and on off. All the wiring is clearly numbered and everything is neat and orderly, it looks like nothing has been altered.

When under power everything seems to power up but the axis motors won't run and the spindle will not run.

The pendant has a mechanical e stop and a mechanical two position switch, these both work but none of the other switches do and the l.e.d. read out does not light up. The switches that do not work are all touch swithes that make contact on a computer style board that is full of solder joints and has two 3/4" square computer chips. The pendant looks like a small computerer itself.

My questions are:

1) Can this be practically converted to single phase 230V. I am willing to replace the invertor.

2) If single phase is not practical is 230v 3 phase practical.

3) How to reconfigure the wiring in the Perske. It is dual voltage 380 or 230 three phase.

4) Repair the pendant or replace it.

5) How to load files and run files, (there is an unused 9 pin plug on the side of the contoller cabinet, is this for a pc or some type of memory device)?

Anybody have any advice or know of a place to contact that does this type of work? Advice is preferable, this looks like a fun project.

Thanks,

Joe

Multicam routers typically need to be homed before they will allow you jog the axes or enable the spindle. Not sure what your particular pendant looks like but homing is accomplished by pressing shift key (up arrow in blue) followed by machine home (green key with x and y axis with corresponding zeros). After the machine homes, you'll be able to jog the axes and enable the spindle.

The nine pin connector is a serial connection. Multicam routers are dnc "drip fed" via a host computer with proprietary software (MX32 or Jobserver, depending on the age of the machine).

The two position switch is likely the spindle enable switch, which you would engage following homing the machine.

Typically converting the perskes is a simple jumper config to change voltages.

Where are you located???

Hello,

I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan, 18" of snow and 9 degrees may as well work on a machine.

I talked to the Multicam distributor for the area today, and was able to spend about 20 minutes with a tech. He said the reason the command pendant or console in this case is not working is the board that is in it, or one of the two chips on it is faulty, or the 5.09 volt supply from the main controller is out of adjustment or shot. I am hoping it is a chip or the voltage supply because the board is not available and to do any replacing would require an extensive and expensive upgrade. I would probably switch to a cmsoft controller if this is the case.

If anybody knows of old Multicam controller consoles let me know.

What should I expect to run into if replacing the controller turns out to be the best option, and between Camsoft and Wincnc which is easier to retrofit, which is the better unit?

Thanks,

Joe

Sent you a private message.

multicam pictures

Multicam distributor from G.R. Michigan was very helpful and sent owners manual version 4. I don't think this manual is specifically for my machine more of a generic manual for a certain era. If anybody has one let me know.

I have attached some photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29fe_1[1].jpg   25a2_0[1].jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

does the pendant display power up?

The pendant does not power up. I have talked with the Multicam dist and told to replace the 5v power supply. The part should be in tomorrow. When the pendant receives 5v it should work. We shall know soon.

ddog

Jackpot d-dog!! Dubber is ex Multicam service tech, if I recall correctly.

New 5v supply is installed. The output read zero. So I traced back the output wires to the mother board. They connect to a plug with eight screw in terminals. The black wire #310 went to a terminal labeled 0v the white wire wire #311 went the next terminal labeled +5. There were two other terminals on the plug being used.

The pendant showed no sign of power the manual e-stop works and the 2 position spindle switch works but no led readouts. I disconnected the black wire from the mother board and the power supply began working putting out 5.07 volts. As soon as the black wire was reconnected the power supply shut-off. There is a green led that lights up when the power supply is working. On the mother board there is an led that is labeled 5v, this led has not lit up since I have had the machine, all other leds on the mboard are lit up.

What does the 0v mean and what does it do and how can it be repaired?

Thanks for Ideas.

Joe
    ddog

Quote Originally Posted by daisydog View Post
    New 5v supply is installed. The output read zero. So I traced back the output wires to the mother board. They connect to a plug with eight screw in terminals. The black wire #310 went to a terminal labeled 0v the white wire wire #311 went the next terminal labeled +5. There were two other terminals on the plug being used.

The pendant showed no sign of power the manual e-stop works and the 2 position spindle switch works but no led readouts. I disconnected the black wire from the mother board and the power supply began working putting out 5.07 volts. As soon as the black wire was reconnected the power supply shut-off. There is a green led that lights up when the power supply is working. On the mother board there is an led that is labeled 5v, this led has not lit up since I have had the machine, all other leds on the mboard are lit up.

What does the 0v mean and what does it do and how can it be repaired?

Thanks for Ideas.

Joe
    ddog
    means you got a short, check the wiring with an ohmeter to see what you read for ohms should be infinite, disconnect the pendant and power up and check the volt display mean. sorry bout replying so late its weird every other thread i reply too it starts sending me emails about new msgs but not this one for some reason.

oh and the multicam controller is made by extratech http://www.extratech.com/ they might (emphasis on might) give you some help as well

Thanks Dubber, I'll check for short circuits next week, I'm on vacation this week.

Joe Ddog

find the problem yet?

Thanks for asking dubber, I was on vacation last week and this week I have been catching up on work and fighting a flu bug. Sunday I am going to work on the controller though. I hope to isolate the three phase 460 requirments so I can run the thing on 240 volt single phase. Do you know if anything besides the vfd for the spindle requires the three phase, and what are the electrical requirments are for the rest of the controller.

Thanks,

Joe Ddog

Spent three hours Sunday trying to track down the short, eventually everything was unplugged from the mother board and the short was still there. The only way the 5v transformer would work was if the black wire to the mother board was disconnected from the 0v terminal.

Does this mean the mother board is bad and how can this problem be isolated.

Thanks,

Joe Ddog

Quote Originally Posted by daisydog View Post
    Spent three hours Sunday trying to track down the short, eventually everything was unplugged from the mother board and the short was still there. The only way the 5v transformer would work was if the black wire to the mother board was disconnected from the 0v terminal.

Does this mean the mother board is bad and how can this problem be isolated.

Thanks,

Joe Ddog
    did you get the motion mechanic software at all with the machine? it would be ice to see whether the board even boots up. ill see if ihave it somewhere.

Hi Dubber, no software with machine. Do you think that once this problem is found that the parts needed to fix will be findable? Also can the controller be partially replaced and just eliminate the faulty parts. I would like to at least replace the 460volt part of the system.

Thanks for everything so far.

Joe Ddog

Wondering if he needs MC motion controller for that machine versus Motion Mechanic (later machines) or is Motion Mechanic backward compatible??? That might be good for me to know since I have machines running with both types of software.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRAPWOTSCRAP View Post
    Wondering if he needs MC motion controller for that machine versus Motion Mechanic (later machines) or is Motion Mechanic backward compatible??? That might be good for me to know since I have machines running with both types of software.

yes motion mechanic will work to connect to the machine however the newer dnc will most likely not work so well.

I might have MX32 laying around here somewhere....that was the old DNC right?? Will that run in any Windows platform?? Wondering what d-dog has for operating system?

Page 1 of 2 12