586,067 active members*
5,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sliding into it !!!

Whell finally got all of my slide components for the XYZ just not sure now on its order I was going to build the Z mouvement with the flanged 1/2'' bearings it will be i litle more work in the design for strengh and ridgidety
    And the 1/2'' thomson bearings with suported 21'' rails for the Y mouvement
    And finaly 3/4'' thomson 30'' long for the X mouvement , this one I am a litle reluctant because there is no support in the midle.
    Can anybody make some sugestions here I am willing to shage the configuration of these bearings or even buy different ones, i am building a mouving gantry and want to cut out some alluminum and get into 3D carving.
    I am planig to use a 1/4'' Makita trimer router it to fast forthe aluminum but plan on using a variac toslow it down to 1600 K if it does not burn out i am using also 253 once stepers power- max2
    Please give me some advise as far slide components especialy the Z axis will it be stron enoughf and not vibrate with 5 inches of travel to facilatate the tool shaging
    Thanks Guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cf_1_b.jpg   db_1_b.jpg   NBR20A[1].jpg  

Look at the Thomson data sheets, they show the shaft deflection for single and double bearings on an end-supported shaft...I haven't looked at them recently but I seriously doubt that you'll have any problems with the x and y axis, unless the table they are supporting is up in the 1000 lb range.

On the z-axis I would use a configuration that had 1/2 inch parallel rods on which the router holder will move vertically on. I would suggest that you go for more then 6 inches of movement on the z-axis.

Hey thanks ViperTX wil do for the Z-axis I am limited with 11 inches of thread on the lead screw ,so not sure how much of it I can use and keed a goog solid axis, unless i find a new anti backlash nut and a longer screw with the end already milled for the stepper and flanged bearings. what do you recomend for distance between the Z and the work surface for clearance when i builld the gantry.
    Thanks.
    Craftech

Consider the minumum and maximum thickness of material that you want to machine. Look at how you'll mount the motor and look at the longest and shortest bit that you will use...I think anything in the range of 8 to 10 inches would work just fine.