586,042 active members*
3,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sieg, Syil or Smithy?

I'm trying to decide on a desktop machine.. have been looking at the Syil X4+
    Is it the best machine for the price, or are the/there other options better?

Hi Spanners,

The X4+ looks like a nice machine. Have you checked out the Tormach? It isn't far off cost wise, but it's quite a bit heavier. Either will be surface shipping though, so you might find the extra weight isn't a factor. The Tormach certainly isn't a desktop, but the X4 is also a bit of a stretch to call it a desktop machine

What do you plan to use it for? That would help others recommend the most suitable for your purpose.

Best regards,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason3 View Post
    Hi Spanners,

The X4+ looks like a nice machine. Have you checked out the Tormach? It isn't far off cost wise, but it's quite a bit heavier. Either will be surface shipping though, so you might find the extra weight isn't a factor. The Tormach certainly isn't a desktop, but the X4 is also a bit of a stretch to call it a desktop machine

What do you plan to use it for? That would help others recommend the most suitable for your purpose.

Best regards,

Jason
    Hi there.
    The Tormach.. maybe a bit $$?
    Aluminium small parts .. 8" in size approx.
    Gun and car parts predominantly.

The X4+ is probably a very good bet then.

Don't forget to bump your thread in the morning for some feedback from people who have some personal experience with those machines - America is asleep now

Cheers,

Jason

Basically the smithy, seig and syil machine are all the same frame, so in the rigidity departement they will all fare the same, electronic wise they are equipped with different component but should all be of somewhat equal quality, currently i think the biggest difference would be on the user base where the syil probably out shine the other brand so for support i think the syil is a better choice.
    The machine is quite capable, i have done some ss on mine and i am quite pleased with the result, so if your main interest is aluminum part you will definitely be please with it and its basically the biggest type of machine that can be considered benchtop after that most machine weight a good 300 pounds more minimum.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

like in NZ we have a dealer...also, you may have get service from us too.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Thanks for the replies.. I'll save some pennies and get teh X4+

YOu need to empty your PM box Syil

need clear some messages..you also can email to me if necessary at [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Thanks for the replies.. I'll save some pennies and get teh X4+

YOu need to empty your PM box Syil
    I'll tell you what since Syil is quick to provide answers they would be on top of my list for a product. JMHO

Rick

I have never used the other makes but my Smithy cnc 1240 has done great in steel and aluminum . The guys at smithy have been very helpfull when a problem arises .
    my.03 cents (inflation )

Get the Syil. I have a smithy, help on the cnc is sparse to none.

Quote Originally Posted by UWAK PLANES View Post
    Get the Syil. I have a smithy, help on the cnc is sparse to none.
    Hmmmm? My dad is 81 years old very non digital and decided he wanted to have some fun and get a CNC. I am a programmer 500 miles away from him and helped him pick a brand, I quized Smithy and was honestly answered. He had a couple of small snafu's but was taken care of and has had excellent support.....They saved my a$$ and his!

Quote Originally Posted by xyzer View Post
    Hmmmm? My dad is 81 years old very non digital and decided he wanted to have some fun and get a CNC. I am a programmer 500 miles away from him and helped him pick a brand, I quized Smithy and was honestly answered. He had a couple of small snafu's but was taken care of and has had excellent support.....They saved my a$$ and his!
    your dad look have a very young heart....
    anyway call syilamerica,they will have a good advise for choice which kind cnc will be suitable...

I have been approacted by someone here in NZ that says they have been talking with Syil and is looking at importing the Syil machines.
    I'm going to wait until he gets one in and have a look at it.
    I'm a little way aways with $$ anyway, so by that time..

I looked at all of the, and I still feel a older Knee mill with a 3 axis package is a much better investment, will due more, and is far more ridgid!
    just the feeling from a older machinst
    :idea:
    SBI

sbi1406,
    Ya know what ? I almosted converted my Jet 12x49 knee mill before getting the smithy . I was turned off by the down time and the what if I ran into a problem . So I bought the Smithy . Know I am thiking again about converting the knee mill again . Not because of problems with the smithy , but because a second cnc would be good . Have you done any conversions ?