586,231 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I use Mach Software on my Mill?

Well after alot of reading on here and researching found everything I needed to know about my Mill to make a conversion over to a updated control. The mill now is a Mektronic CNC 3 axis Bed Mill, it is pc based.

Think I figured out what everything is now:
    Motors-Servo Dynamics Brush-less DC, They are very high voltage 140v
    Encoders-Accu Coder +vdc input
    Servo Dynamics FET Module Drivers- Not sure on the Voltage but probably 5v or 24.4v
    Mekotronic Control module-
    Mekotronic Break out board

I looked through the Mach manual and didnt see anything specfic. Can I run Mach software and what would I have to change out?

Thanks

Anybody??

Hi,
    You need to figure out if the drives uses step and direction or if they are analog amplifiers that takes either a voltage or a PWM signal as the "command". Since you have encoders on the motors chanses are you already have drives that works with step and direction signals. (Which is what Mach3 outputs) Do you have any docs on the drives?

If the drives are analog then you're in for a bit more work.... You either have to change the drives to something that takes step and direction from Mach3 or try to get a S/D to analog converter. There used to be a product called Pixie, made by Skyko but it is no longer available. Rutex also has a product that is said to do the same thing but I've never heard of anyone actually using it and Rutex reputation is sadly not the best. A third option is to find a Galil card that works with Mach3 but I believe development on that front has more or less stopped.

Not sure on the drives. Will have to look through the manual and see if there is anything there.

Here is the manual for the encoders if that helps at all?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,
    The encoders are standard incremental type so they should work if you choose to replace the existing drives. Is there a part number on the encoder? That will tell us how many pulses/rev and if they are differential etc. They'll still work it's just easier when you have the exact specifications.

Do the encoder feed back to the drives or to some other board? You need to figure out either if the drives them selves take step and direction OR if the control board takes step and direction and then feeds the drives.

/Henrik.