586,356 active members*
2,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > ?s on How to draw a Hex.

?s on How to draw a Hex.

How to do it in BobCad?

Thanks.

A hex, as in a bolt head?
    I would start by drawing a circle with the diameter being the width of the flats you want. Then draw a straight line, then translate that line from the midpoint of the line to a quadrant on your circle. Then use the rotate and copy the line around the center of the circle, just input the number of flats that you want. Then just trim or extend your lines to create your intersection points.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's how I would tackle it first.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mmc005 View Post
    A hex, as in a bolt head?
    I would start by drawing a circle with the diameter being the width of the flats you want.
    Dave
    Don't you mean radius?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Don't you mean radius?
    Actually I mean the width across the flats, ie. inscribed circle. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dave

Draw a rectangle.
    Delete Two Sides
    Copy Rotate 3 copies.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Post Hex Script

I used this script
    all it asks for is the distance across flats. Works
    great for me. assuming you are using V21 and back, they
    eliminated the scripting in V22 on up

Mark

'HexFlat.bas

UnselectAll

R=2.0*25.4
    Ask Header="Hexagon by Flats",Output,Cancel=canc,\
    "Distance Across Flats"=R

If canc=1 Then
    Exit
    Endif

R=R/1.732049

I=R*COS(1.0471976)
    J=R*SIN(1.0471976)

PointCoordinates X = R, Y = 0, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X = I, Y = J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-I, Y = J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-R, Y = 0, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-I, Y =-J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X = I, Y =-J, Z = 0
    Close

LineJoin

ViewAll
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    How to do it in BobCad?

Thanks.
    Hi "Stampede"

If you know the length of the flats then it is very easy to create a Hexagon or Octagon etc.

Draw a line the correct length and then go to "Line" and select "Angle" and set the angle to 60 degrees and the length to the same as the first line and then select "Pick End" and then simply click the end of the line and just keep clicking the end of each line you create until the Hexagon is done!!

If you only know the distance "across the flats" then it`s a little more involved.

Draw 2 lines you know are longer than the flats are likely to be and the correct distance apart, (Easy guesstimate!!) then using the "Line" > "Angle" system again do one line at 60 degrees from the end of line 1 and then a line at -60 degrees from the end of line 2, you can then use the "Extend" > "Trim one entity" facility under "Utilities" tab to trim off the overhangs.
    You now have 2 lines that are the correct length so you can measure one and then set your 2 original lines to the same lengths and then using the "Line" > "Angle" system again do the other side of the Hexagon.

Sounds like a lot but in actual fact it only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it!!

Worked for me anyway!!!

Regards
    Rob

Wink with circle

You can use a circle the size of your hexagonal bolt , then put a point on entity anywhere, you can then use 60 degree with the rotate function around Z,and make 5copies since you already got 1 point, then use the line join function.

What I do is draw an arc, then break it for the number of sides then join lines at the end points then delete the arc.

I know this is the BobCad thread, but I would use Corel Draw and then import it into whatever program I was using. Corel had a polygon tool that makes this very easy - wonder why it's not in a cad program?

In AutoCad you draw a circle, divide the circle into 6 parts using the divide command, draw lines connecting the nodes, delete the circle. This works with any equal sided shape..
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post
    In AutoCad you draw a circle, divide the circle into 6 parts using the divide command, draw lines connecting the nodes, delete the circle. This works with any equal sided shape..
    Mark
    These guys aren't using AutoCAD, LOL. But to mention a quicker way to draw a hex, just pick the Shape. Then simply dimension it. Really easy.

I'm pretty sure that there was a post prior that mentioned the use of a Script for versions 19-21.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hex.JPG  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post
    Mark
    Can't Bobcad do this too?

Try Break>Divide enter 6 for hex or any other number of divisions.

However this gives a dimension across corner and not the flats.

You could easily draw a line at a given distance from a point. Do a Rotate (click the 'copy' and enter 6) then also click the point as the rotation center. Connect or trim the lines.