2,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My DIY table

Hybrid View

My DIY table

My CNC router table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc5.jpg  

Cool machine! How long did it take to make?
    Tom

It took about 20 hrs.

tell us more

Did you use steppers or servos? How big are the motors? What are it's speeds? How rigid is it- in other words haow much material can you remove?
    A very clean looking little machine!

The steppers are 150 in oz NEMA 23, the travel speed is 10ipm, it is pretty rigid for cutting wood or composites. It can cut 1/4" at a time and 2" in steps.

Did you use acme screws or ball and screw?
    Tom

I used acme threaded rod and a brass nut. Worked very well, had alittle back lash, not much. For the Z I used linear slides.

How tight is the resolution? I am looking into building a CNC router to carve arch top mandolin parts. Would like to be able to cut to within .010 to .015 of finished dimensionon wood plus or minus .001" in pearl inlay material.

Also want to be able to use a laser ranger on the Z axis to digitize prototype surfaces.

Engraving and routing of non-ferrous metals is also desired.

Been looking at a 24x36 in. Designed by Bob Campbell at campbelldesigns.com. Uses modular aluminum extrusions and linear slides plus anti-backlash scrrews. On paper it should be pretty rigid. Your thoughts please?
    Servo, I am told, cuts faster and doesn't lose steps. True or not??

Too many questions, too few answers.

Thanks all.

Neat site

Twombo

I would say .010-.015 is about right, the alum extru are the way to go, it would mke a very ridged machine. Servo is the way to go for precision, they use encoders (steppers can also) and can run at higher speeds. BUT they are very exspensive, but are IMO the best whay to go.

Excellent!
    I am in the process of making one myself. Can you please tell me what type of linear bearings your using, rod size, pillow blocks, etc? I am more interested in the actual sliding components. Where did you buys them? Any part numbers?

thanks!

tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

That modular aluminum extrusion used on Cambells' machine is very expensive, even at their source. I choose to use solid aluminum. I could get it for less cost. It will weigh more but that just means more regidity.

Tauseef! Nice to hear from you again. I really liked the candles you make. Look on ebay for your linear ways and design your table around them. This is what I did. I am finish with the design stage and am now starting to build it. See my post in this section of the board.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Jeff!
    Nice hearing from you again also! Thank you for the info on the router. I will look into it. I am still thinking about it and have not gotten to far Thanks for the nice words on the candle, it was quite an accomplishment for me hehehee. Your ball screws on your site look very nice, cool looking wooden mill also.

I don't think I have your link on my site but will add it in the next update! If you wanna exchange thats great if not that is fine to

thanks
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Newbie on cnc router table design

Hi

I have been reading this thread and it seems that I also should be making one of theses tables as I have just started making guitars so I think a pc and a cnc router is going to speed up my work eventually when I understand how it all works.Is there any drawings/list of materials relating to this project - plus how about the cost of the project any ideas.

Regards

Tony

Hello

I have joined this board recently to know more about CNC. I am very much sure will get good knowledge on the subject.

Regards