586,112 active members*
3,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco and phase converter question

Hurco and phase converter question

I have a hurco km3p with max32 controls and I was wondering what size phase converter we will need to run the 3hp spindle motor, spindle speed motor and coolant motor all of which are 3 phase?

Also could i seperate the 3 phase and run single phase 220 to the two transformers that run all of the cnc side and just run the 3 phase motors off of a rotary phase converter?

Thanks for your help

hello again
    would a static phase converter work this way in place of the rotary phase as stated above.I am just throwing this out there as a possible option.....Thanks Bob

Also could i seperate the 3 phase and run single phase 220 to the two transformers that run all of the cnc side and just run the 3 phase motors off of a rotary phase converter?
    Yes you can do this, I have a km3p with Ultimax II controls that runs this way
    I have a static converter to run the motors(3HP). Once you get one motor running it will help generate for the others. Since the spindle normally starts first it works fine. If you try to start say the coolant motor first it will not pull enough current thru that size static converter to make it fuction properly and will not start. Static converters are sized differently that rotories, Statics are size for the motor they are to run where as rotories are size for the largest motor they will start
    I plane on changing over to a VFD eventually, the manual machines in my shop run on these as they will take single phase in and output 3 phase. I will still keep the controls hooked directly to 220 single phase as it is more stable.

Rick