586,067 active members*
4,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Delta tau nc2.36 servo error

Im in the process of retrofitting of a Cicinnatti lathe with a Delta tau pmac 1 control with nc 2.36 software.I have the machine jogging,and homing and have control of my I/O.When I go into the nc32 program,I get a servo error and the software opens the loops and then disables the amps.In pewin,on the global status,there is a servo error.A friend suspects an ISA buss communication problem.Any one else run into this?Have any suggestions.Thanks ahead of time.

Its a long time since I played with Delta-Tau, I am a Galil man now, but could it be the PID loop in the software that is creating too large a following error or similar effect?
    Have you tried a very slow motion move in the software?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Its not the following error,it would show up in the motor status page and also wouldnt allow me to close the loops.This is something that happens when the Nc32 loads.There is only two guys at DT who do the nc stuff and they are always busy,so for the most part Im on my own.Any suggestions?

I was working on a Delta Tau lathe project some time back & had a similar problem, because of the amps I was using, by Advanced Motion Control.

The 'Fault' output on these amps are activated when there is an actual fault, and also when the amp is not enabled. As I recall, the DT NC software checks for a fault BEFORE sending the amp enable signal. And because the amps start out not enabled, they output 'Fault', and NC never tries to enable them, thus generating the same error condition that you described

Delta Tau suggested a software kludge that I could write up as a PLC, but I opted for a hardware kludge of my own design, which did accomplish the goal.

I know this is an old thread, but I am VERY interested in your progress on the lathe using the v2.36 software. PM me if you have the time to discuss this.

Cheers,
    Steve

I know this is an old thread but Steve brought it back.

So any new status.

The reason I brought back this thread is because of my experience several years ago trying (unsuccessfully) to integrate a PMAC-Lite w/v2.36 software into a lathe project.

I got most basic functions working, PLCs written, etc, but could not make it thread reliably. I did quite a bit of back-n-forth with Delta Tau support, but we were were never able to correct the problem. Mostly, I got "Man, that's weird! It has always worked for me before". And a lathe that connot thread isn't worth much, so I eventually abandoned the project & sold off the pieces.

But I hate giving up, so I have now acquired a PMAC Universal board with DPM built onboard, using the v2.36 software for the previous attempt, and have cobbled up a prof-of-concept lathe simulator on my benchtop. Spindle, saddle, & cross-slide all move, but it will never make a chip. What it does is use a Sharpie to write onto a shaft that is the spindle. This way I can see if threads are repeating as they should, or messing up as in my previous problems.

So, if anybody has successfully integrated a lathe using v2.36, and want to lend your experience, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by serickson View Post
    I got most basic functions working, PLCs written, etc, but could not make it thread reliably. I did quite a bit of back-n-forth with Delta Tau support, but we were were never able to correct the problem. Mostly, I got "Man, that's weird! It has always worked for me before".
    I love that answer from Delta Tau. ( I have heard it before too)

So, if anybody has successfully integrated a lathe using v2.36, and want to lend your experience, it would be appreciated.
    I have never done a lathe. I have done multible Mill's and Waterjets with 2.36.

Just to warn you if you call Delta Tau about 2.36 problems now they will tell you to buy their newer version.

Ron22,

I think that my problem was using the Triggered Time Base, to sync Z axis with Spindle position. It would seem to work sometimes, but not every time. Would that not be the same as Rigid Tapping on a Mill?

Did you implement Rigid Tapping on any of your Mill retros? If so, that might give me a clue as to my problem.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by serickson View Post
    I think that my problem was using the Triggered Time Base, to sync Z axis with Spindle position. It would seem to work sometimes, but not every time. Would that not be the same as Rigid Tapping on a Mill?

Did you implement Rigid Tapping on any of your Mill retros? If so, that might give me a clue as to my problem.
    Rigid tapping on mills work the same way. I have never personal done rigid tapping on any machine.

Well, it looks like I am back on my own, again.

Thanks for the effort.

Cheers,
    Steve