586,055 active members*
4,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wanting to convert small mill to cnc

Hi Everybody

First time posting this is such a great site.Just wondering if anybody knows much about a mill called a dsmd25V from titan machinery it look like a better spec than super x3 to convert

http://titanmachinery.com.au/index.p...d=36&Itemid=64

any feedback would be greatly apprectiated

tm20v purchase

hi everyboody

great site plenty of feed back,went to titan machinery and picked up TM20v
    and talk to Stuart great guy gave me tip on machining for 5 hrs (i dont think he was realy happy about it as he had thinng to do)any way i think the TM20V ****s all over a X3 or super X3 for the money .I got my machine home clocked the head was within .03mm out of the box very impress .stu put me onto mob in nerang qld lowcostcncretrofits.com for my controler ,so all up under 3g for a nice cnc .im also getting some ballscrews fro stu as he importing some for me groung not rolled.Im also using mach 3 as this is what come with lowcostcnc retrofits .i cant believe i never seen the cnc light ,my head is runing away with ideas

cheers

tm20v purchase

hi everyboody

great site plenty of feed back,went to titan machinery and picked up TM20v
    and talk to Stuart great guy gave me tip on machining for 5 hrs (i dont think he was realy happy about it as he had thinng to do)any way i think the TM20V ****s all over a X3 or super X3 for the money .I got my machine home clocked the head was within .03mm out of the box very impress .stu put me onto mob in nerang qld lowcostcncretrofits.com for my controler ,so all up under 3g for a nice cnc .im also getting some ballscrews fro stu as he importing some for me groung not rolled.Im also using mach 3 as this is what come with lowcostcnc retrofits .i cant believe i never seen the cnc light ,my head is runing away with ideas

cheers

Hi ramix,
    A lot of companies in asia are selling converted mills like this ranging from 3500usd to 9000usd.
    After you've spent 1900usd, bought ball screws, steppers (23's) and a gecko540 your costs will add up.
    Admittedly, the asian rubbish would not have quality like geckodrive.
    If an obscure chinese driver board failed it would be scrap.
    Choosing your motor ratings and ball screw pitch lets you decide the machines 'character'.
    It's a 50/50 argument.

Hello,

I bought a Super X3 a few weeks ago, i am going to use a PROMICA conversion kit as it's made here in Melbourne to convert it to CNC.

The TITAN Machine has similar properties to the super x3... Just looks like they mounted the wiring and switches in a different spot...

Anyway, it's all good. As long as the end result is what you are hoping for.

I'm trying to decide on Cad Cam software... downloading some demo's and seeing which one i gel with.. so far Dolphin Cad cam looks good.

Cheers
    Ian