587,067 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > spindle error problems......help

spindle error problems......help

vmc4020
    baldor inv-0052
    format 2
    error-"spindle controller does not respond #48"

this error has come up randomly (middle or start of running a prog.,any m3 command) and has been a prob. for years. Sometimes no spindle movement before error and other times slow rpm. Had people in to try to fix. Sometimes goes for months without error but sometimes two/day. Any ideas?

Sounds like an inverter fault. We have had those in the past and with one of our little 3016s we sent in the inverter to Practecllc.com They do a great job of diagnosing and fixing the inverter. You do not want or need to buy another one!!

But before you go that far make sure the power is off and check the leads to ensure they are connected to the inverter unit. Sometimes after moving wires can get loose. When you get the error what does the Baldor unit say on the small screen?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

BOB, I"ll bet is is often times some little wire issue or something else that is indisnifigant.

on the back of the machine were the spindle inverter is, take out and retighten everyone of the low voltage wires that are in the wire strip. do it one at a time.

also check your bullet connectors on your drive cards in the other cabinat,

Loose wire? not a problem.... my truck has had a loose nut behind the wheel and my girlfriends has heck of a time trying to understand why I just don't go get it fixed!! HA!!

thanks for the help guys....some more info. had the spindle stay on after running part (before next part)....door was open(spindle controller not responding# 48).

rpm on controller screen "m3s500" but 938-942 rpm on baldor.(@1000rpm was1910-1917rpm on baldor)

Also had orient prob. (related??) and used Neal's steps to check hall efects switch. Seemed to not switch to 01 every time and very poor when turning the spindle faster.

either encoder need cleaning??

I would be checking either the spindle controller card, the 1030 buss uinterface card or the 1040 mill interface card as well. But that's just me.

Neal

Looks like the problems solved. traded the 1010-1 spindle card with a 1010-5 from a different machine and the spindle problems went to the other machine. you were right Neal. thanks