586,077 active members*
3,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > Pop noise in 3 Axis Xylotex board

Pop noise in 3 Axis Xylotex board

Hi everybody,

This is my first post. I am in the process of making a CNC plasma cutter. My basic setup is a a CNC4PC breakout board, 3 Axis motor driver and 3 stepper motors. I use EMC2 for the controller. I had all of the motors working great for quite awhile. I then added connectors to my cables for the motors and moved the machine to a new location.

When I turned the system back on, after a few minutes I heard pop noise. There was no smoke anywhere. I then noticed that the driver board was not working. I unhooked everything except the 24VDC and still nothing. When I turn the system on, the red LED turns on for a second and then off.

There seems to be a short across the 24VDC.

Anybody have any idea how I would go about fixing this. I sent an email to Xylotex, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience. I also am concerned because I have no idea what is wrong. I checked the motor wires and they all seem to be fine.

Thanks

Sounds like magic smoke, check motor wiring with an ohm meter.

It looks like it is a bad motor. I checked the resistance on all the motors and they were all at 2.4 except one was at 1.2.

I connected the power to the driver board and noticed that out of the 3 axises only 1 was getting hot. I removed that chip and now the board works.

Looks like I had a bad motor.

This may be a dumb question, but what is magic smoke?

Thanks

B7, this magic smoke is what numbnuts like myself use to describe an electronic short out.

Example; hooking up 3 phase power to 5v capacator or such.

Xylotex are pretty good on price for repairs i have heard.

Would be nice if they mounted the chip in a socket and fused each output somehow, apparently fusing is not possible though.