586,075 active members*
4,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Thread relief groove dimension

Thread relief groove dimension

Hello Group,

I spec'd. out a 7/8-20UNEF male thread on an aluminum part and called out for a Ø.800 ±.005 thread relief groove. The shop doing the work said the groove wasn't small enough for the tool not to clear. Machinery's Handbook says minor dia. is .8155. I am .015 smaller than nominal, where did I go wrong and how does everyone else calculated thread relief grooves?

Thanks in advance,
    Pat

I don't calculate, Im a machinist and it's given to me..
    If I was doing the work for you I wouldn't complain, the tool should clear,...if the tool might have a super sharp V point, then it might just scratch the groove?
    The tool should always have a slight radius on the end then it should stay clear.
    Konrad

Hello Konrad and thanks for the reply.

They said the tool would just scratch the surface and they used an CNC lathe with a standard threading insert, so I assumed it would clear also. I may back the diameter off by another .005 or .010 just so there are no questions in the future.

Hey, my wife is Canadian and from Edmonton. Her dad/family left there in 1963 and came to So. California to work in the oilfield machine shop business.

Thanks again,
    Pat

Pat, sure, another .010 or .015" wouldn't hurt, just make sure you have a Rad. U undercut.

Interesting...Edmonton now is a great place doing business in the oilfield, especially for the tar sand in Fort McMurray.
    My daughter has a job there in chemical engineering.

Konrad