Try to keep in mind this is my first attempt at getting into something like this.

first off i have a denford starmill that was given to me because its old electronics are junk basically and do not work. This small machine has a atc on it that supports 3 tools (it is a mini mill), and I was wondering if it is possible to use a g-rex g100 with 3 g212's and some sort of plc (most likely and allen bradly) to control the stepper motors and the atc. I dont have any experience with rebuilding machines, but I do have some in running them, and programming them. I am a Vincennes University student majoring in injection molding and cnc programming. Im going to start investing as soon as i get my tax return, and I want to finish this project to get a better understanding on how a cnc works at it core. I have been trying to find information of this machine for some time now, but denford doesn't have any information on it. I figured it would be my best bet to completely redo all of the electronics. When it is completed I want to be able to have all of the origional functionallity such as the variable speed spindle, and the tool changer all controled through a easy to use interface such as mach 3.