586,207 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

elte spindle in bf20l

Hi there!
    It's my first post here. I d really appreciate your feedback guys. I recently got a bf20L and in the next months I will be converting it to cnc. (Direct drive with 4.5Nm hybrid steppers, optimum ballscrew set). I am planning to buy a 4.5KW Elte spindle (TMPE5 10/2 24000rpm). I have attached its relevant graphs. Furthermore, the motor can be seen in the pdf catalogue from the link below:
    http://www.signmaker.pl/go.live.php/...alog-2009.html

I mostly be doing aluminium and I will buy the spindle with er32 nose type. The mt2/3 nose type uses a collet to secure the taper and if I was going to order it I would end up with significant increase in tool length due to the er32/25 adapter used to hold endmills. This would cause extra loading to the spindle bearings, and I would have reduced z travel. So I am planning to go ahead with the er32 nose type. The problem is that I cannot easily find flycutters, facemills, boring adapters that have cylindrical shanks to be fixed in the er32 nose. I can very easily find them in mt2/mt3 or r8.
    Does anybody knows any european shops with cylindrical shanked tools?
    Regards,
    George
    Attached Files Attached Files

This can certainly be a challenge. The Sherline tools use a MT1 spindle, and the same issue arises with these types of tools. You can either buy their tools which fit the MT1, or you are kind of stuck, as smaller tools with straight shanks are hard to come by.
    What I have seen that may be helpful is that since you can now order both the Sherline and Taig tools with ER16 spindles, some companies are making tooling which fits the threaded portion of the spindle. http://www.peck-polymers.com/store/Category.asp?Cguid={3CDE64F4-539B-4FA9-9005-5D8C54C93E75}&Category=ThreadedArbor%3AER16
    They have a range of tools and adapters that fit the threaded portion. If the spindle thread you have is different, perhaps you could make your own similar adapters, or have a local shop with a CNC lathe make some up for you. It looks to be a relatively simple job.

Quote Originally Posted by yioryos View Post
    Hi there!
    It's my first post here. I d really appreciate your feedback guys. I recently got a bf20L and in the next months I will be converting it to cnc. (Direct drive with 4.5Nm hybrid steppers, optimum ballscrew set). I am planning to buy a 4.5KW Elte spindle (TMPE5 10/2 24000rpm). I have attached its relevant graphs. Furthermore, the motor can be seen in the pdf catalogue from the link below:
    http://www.signmaker.pl/go.live.php/...alog-2009.html

I mostly be doing aluminium and I will buy the spindle with er32 nose type. The mt2/3 nose type uses a collet to secure the taper and if I was going to order it I would end up with significant increase in tool length due to the er32/25 adapter used to hold endmills. This would cause extra loading to the spindle bearings, and I would have reduced z travel. So I am planning to go ahead with the er32 nose type. The problem is that I cannot easily find flycutters, facemills, boring adapters that have cylindrical shanks to be fixed in the er32 nose. I can very easily find them in mt2/mt3 or r8.
    Does anybody knows any european shops with cylindrical shanked tools?
    Regards,
    George
    those spindles are designed for larger woodworking routers. not really intended for facing and boring in metal. 3/4" (19mm) shank arbours will work, and should be available though. you may not wind up with very much torque though at the lowish speeds youd be using them. the stock ~1hp spindle might prove more powerful though theres no torque charts for the one you want that i can find.

if youre going to spend many thousands of dollars on a spindle retrofit (retail on that spindle and vfd is likely 3x the value of the bf20), its probably best to seek out one better suited to what you need.

Thanks 4 your reply. Since the spindle version I am considering to get uses only er32 collets without an adapter I am searching for facemills or flycutters with cylindrical shank max 20mm. Is that too small to get? Sorry for my questions that may seem obvious 2 u but havent got any previous experience...

Thanks 4 your reply. Since the spindle version I am considering to get uses only er32 collets without an adapter I am searching for facemills or flycutters with cylindrical shank max 20mm. Is that too small to get? Sorry for my questions that may seem obvious 2 u but havent got any previous experience...
    I was a little confused first post, as I thought you were down in the ER16/20 range. I have several flycutters in the .750" shank range. You can get boring head shanks in the same range as well. 20mm works out to .787", so with a little poking around you should have an easy job.
    That being said, as the other poster said, this may not be the best spindle design for the work you hope to accomplish. Costly too. Might be worth a look to see what else is out there, as you might find some more suitable taper options.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    those spindles are designed for larger woodworking routers. not really intended for facing and boring in metal. 3/4" (19mm) shank arbours will work, and should be available though. you may not wind up with very much torque though at the lowish speeds youd be using them. the stock ~1hp spindle might prove more powerful though theres no torque charts for the one you want that i can find.

if youre going to spend many thousands of dollars on a spindle retrofit (retail on that spindle and vfd is likely 3x the value of the bf20), its probably best to seek out one better suited to what you need.

Thank you very much for your reply. Well, I believe then it should be better to stick with small endmills at high rpm, small depth of cut for HSM and in case I want facing, use the stock spindle at low rpm geared for more torque. Or perhaps dont use that expensive solution and try to make a spindle as in the link below :

http://www.anderswallin.net/2006/12/...dle-installed/

Thank you guys for your immediate replies!

Thank you very much for your reply. Well, I believe then it should be better to stick with small endmills at high rpm, small depth of cut for HSM and in case I want facing, use the stock spindle at low rpm geared for more torque. Or perhaps dont use that expensive solution and try to make a spindle as in the link below :

http://www.anderswallin.net/2006/12/...dle-installed/

Thank you guys for your immediate replies!
    yeah, id go with a simpler solution, if only because for the price of that spindle alone you could buy a much much better machine.

heres a place i had looked into a while back:
    http://www.milwaukeemachinetool.com/Block_spindles.htm
    the first model.. the mb275 has an iso 30 taper and mechanical draw bar. its belt drive and could mate to any number of motor solutions. the kit rated for 15000 rpm (max standard) was $2700us. though that was over a year ago. the block is also lighter and smaller that then elte so it wont impact machine dynamics as much. they also sell a cartridge model which may be cheaper if you can devise your own mounting system.

other options are to create an add on spindle bracket that will take some of the smaller lower powered spindles like a kavo, precise or jaeger. these occasionally show up on ebay complete for $1000-2000 new or used. theres also high speed ginding spindles a plenty on ebay, but they are significantly more trouble to make use of and as a result dont always end up costing less then the complete systems.

im actually pondering high speed spindle options for my sieg KX1. rather conveniently it has a basic 50mm clamp which is compatible with many smaller high speed spindles.