I went to school for CNC/Machining last 2 semesters. I had alot of fun learning and got excellent grades. The problem is... I'm 24 years old and have gotten "laidoff" 3 times in the past three months from these stupid f*cking machine shops. All these mother f*ckers (supervisors) are old ass sh*ts, trying to run an old skool thought of business.

The first supervisor I had was a douche bag, he knew nothing about me. I had to tell him that I went to school for machining. He didn't even know that much, even though the company paid for my scholarship. He was told by the owner to put me on a machine. I started (training) working with another new hire. The cycle time was long, 2-3 hours, so there was not much to do between those times.

I inspected parts my first couple of days. I felt bad for the guy i was working with because he had absolutely nothing to do. So i decided that he should do some inspection that day. Well, the supervisor came around to ask him what i had been doing all day (dumb-ass pollack) , said i "did nothing". After that day, my supervisor pulled me off and stuck me in assembly. At first, i figured he just didn't have work for me but i seen kids with no experience and no schooling were being trained as i was working bullsh*t jobs. He put me on machines here and there. Until one day, where he put me on a job, without giving me much explanation of how to do it properly. I made a simple mistake, the fixture for the part had to adjusted by hand for each part (no error proofing of job(lean thinking)). Made a few scrap parts, and was called in by the owner of the company, without warnings or a chance to even speak. The owner said he is laying me off.

I was pissed but kinda of relieved. Hoping for better opportunity, I was unemployed for about a month. Then, got a job with a medical manufacturer. Worked about a month, when I was talking with a coworker about another guy that has crashed a machine.I mentioned it to that worker, next thing I know, myself and my coworker got "laidoff". The kid was a rat, and I mean kid, 22 years old.

Then , i got another job with an aerospace manufacturer. They offered me night shift (12 hour). I said yes, cause i wanted to get in. Two weeks in, the hiring manager calls me in to say he doesn't believe I can do the job. Based on other workers "comments". Bullsh*t, i know i could have done the job. It's CNC , not thermonuclear engineering. The funny thing is, there was a guy working there who didn't know how to properly true a tool. He has been machining for 5 years! There was not much I could say, the manager had already made up his mind. Just like the previous jobs.

Well, i just wanted to *unload* all my frustration. I think the industry needs a major overhaul with it's business practices. All these old timers retiring, and the new guys don't have the same work ethic. I believe the industry had better adapt to these new hires. Or they will have no-one to run any machines.

Also, are machinists the only trade workers that are not confident enough or smart enough to start unions?

And, lean thinking is bull****. All it really does is benefit the company. None of these shops care about the workers. Times, have changed since the fifty's. Sons of owners have taken over these shops and all they are interested in is the profit margin. THEY DON"T CARE ABOUT THE INDIVIDUAL WORKER!

So, F*CK you machine shops. I'm going off to lineman training in a couple weeks. They start at $22 an hour as an apprentice!, and a journeyman continues at $35 with plenty of overtime.