586,275 active members*
3,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig Mill Feedback Please!

guys / gals,
    I am considering this Taig on Ebay. Has some upgrades (Gecko, etc). MCG steppers? Camtronics control? Any feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taig-Micro-Mill-...3A1%7C294%3A50

looks good

Taig = nice little machine (haven't used mine in 2 years, but it worked great when I did)
    Camtronics controller/MCG steppers = awesome - I use a similar control built by Dan at Camtronics and it rocks. I get 1800 rpms out of those steppers with the Camtronics controller on my ball screw machine and Dan is extremely helpful and knowledgeable as well(top notch support long after the sale).
    www.rc-monster.com

Actually you can build a Brand new Taig with Camtronics Gecko plug and Play kit for Much less than the buy it now price..

Taig 2019 cr $1,156 -10 % $1,040

Camtronics Plug and Play Gecko g540 ..$799

that has everything you need to get it going.....or you can save even more building your own G540 setup...
    Taig Owners Club.......
    Google Search. Taig Owners Club

....I have been informed that that is the way to go. Buy the CR, and set it up. Which is what I am going to do. What did you mean by.....or you can save even more building your own G540 setup

....minus 10% ?? Are they offering discounts? I did see free vise and collets...

Nick Carter offers 10% off...I think most others do too but not positive..check with Jeff Birt - Soigeneris.com also...he is a taig dealer

if you are handy with electronics you can buy all the components needed for you complete Drive box and save rather than paying the $799 for the plug and play vesion
    Taig Owners Club.......

I REALLY appreciate all the advise. Thanks. Could someone give me the "quick-list" so I can shop? That would greatly be appreciated. BTW, I am not a new-bee to CNC. I have been working in the field since 1985. Use BostoMatic Controls (200 + 300's), MasterCam, AutoCad, Solidworks, etc. I am an emblematic hub / die cutter, engraver, designer. I come from the old school when we used pantographs. I am also a pattern maker. FYI. I am going to purchase a CR, and trick-it-out with some better hardware. Need to know what.

Taig 2019CR
    Gecko G540
    Camtronics??
    Stepper motors (which ones)??
    etc.
    etc.

contact dan Mauck at Camtronics ...he can set you up , Great support also

collets, Vise,Spindle wrenchs,Drill chuck and arbor, should get you going
    Taig Owners Club.......

Does Camtronics have a website?

Smile Priced way too high for a used machine.

The Taig on eBay is nice however it is priced way too high for a used machine.

A new 2019ER CR would be:

2019CR-ER 2019 $1156.00 -10%= $1041.00

Nick Carter

http://www.cartertools.com/price.html

3 G201 Geckos $107.00 X 3 = $321.00

http://www.kelinginc.net/GeckorDriver.html

Breakout board $25.00

http://www.kelinginc.net/BreakoutBoards.html

Power Supply KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 110V/230V $59.95

Stepper Motors KL23H284-35-4B 387 ounce-in $49.00 X 3 = $147.00

You can pick up a electrical enclosure for $20.00 off eBay

http://tinyurl.com/a9kcx5

Estop switch $11.00

http://tinyurl.com/cv2nso

Stepper wiring "20 feet" $10.00

http://tinyurl.com/ahnoth

Total cost$1,635.00

Toss in a $150.00 for shipping

and $50.00 for misc hardware

your still under $2,000.00

Jeff...

Taig Owners Club.......

Better to use the $299 Gecko G540, which INCLUDES a breakout board, wiring connectors and has unkillable features and microstep to full step morphing, instead of the 201s.

CR.

The controller in that listing likely doesn't have the 540 drivers - likely it has 201s or 203s. No benefit for a taig, really - but it transfers to a bigger machine rather nicely (more voltage and current capability vs. the 540s). Perhaps more costly on the front side, but the work is done and when you upgrade the machine, you would already own the controller. If the taig is all you ever plan for, then BYO will be less expensive. You may also offer less to the owner of that listing - maybe you can get a better deal and still get the bigger controller.
    www.rc-monster.com

Unhappy Wait for the bugs to get worked out

Purchasing a G540 right now may not be good advice.

There are several current posts mentioning problems or teething pains with the G540 right now.

You may want to wait for the bugs to get worked out before purchasing a
    G540 and concider the G201.

JoeyB

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Purchasing a G540 right now may not be good advice.

There are several current posts mentioning problems or teething pains with the G540 right now.

You may want to wait for the bugs to get worked out before purchasing a
    G540 and concider the G201.

JoeyB
    Blathsemy!
    The people that don't even own the G540 seem to love them.

I REALLY appreciate all the advise. Thanks. Could someone give me the "quick-list" so I can shop? That would greatly be appreciated. BTW, I am not a new-bee to CNC. I have been working in the field since 1985. Use BostoMatic Controls (200 + 300's), MasterCam, AutoCad, Solidworks, etc. I am an emblematic hub / die cutter, engraver, designer. I come from the old school when we used pantographs. I am also a pattern maker. FYI. I am going to purchase a CR, and trick-it-out with some better hardware. Need to know what.

Taig 2019CR
    Gecko G540
    Camtronics??
    Stepper motors (which ones)??
    Well, the short answer is "It depends."

My personal take:

Mill: Taig 2019CR (you will never wish you bought the smaller table)

Drive: Gecko G540:http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14469 or Xylotex 4 axis board and or kit:http://www.xylotex.com/Econo4AxSpecial.htm.

You can pick up a prewired Xylotex 4 axis drive box with steppers at a good price and this makes for an easier first DIY type installation. You really need to put a good 'opto-isolated' Break-Out-Board (BOB) between the PC and driver.Take a look at the specs on the 269 Oz-inch motors that Xylotex sells. These are a really good size for the Taig. The Xylotex driver provides good performance for the Taig, properly tuned you can run rapids at 20+ IPM.

By the time you add the BOB to the Xylotex you can pick up the Gecko GS540 (with opto-isolated BOB built in). You'll need to add you're own power supply and there will be just a bit of wiring and solder to do. (but not too much). The Gecko also has the advantage of being made up of four individual driver boards. So if disaster struck, you can replace only the one damaged board.

Control SW: Mach III. Others will have their own opinion. I have used EMC in the past but I don't think putting up with Linux is worth it.

Now, there will be several other bits and pieces that are needed wires, solder, and an 'E-Stop' switch. There are also other things can be added to make it a nicer machine. You can an automate on/off to the spindle motor, limit switches, coolant valves, etc. One other item that I think is almost a 'must' for Mach Controlled (only because no-body else has interfaced one yet!) machine is the SmoothStepper. It is an external step-pulse generator that will run circles around and PC/LPT port based system.

One of the best parts I think is learning all about this stuff and how it all works together. If your reasonably mechanically/electrically inclined you could assemble a nice system yourself.

I sent you a PM on the forum here. Feel free to give me acall if you have questions.
    Jeff Birt

subscribed