586,393 active members*
2,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FANUC 3M Helical cutting

Hello.

I'm upgrade fanuc 3M (replaced 10 control chips on the motherboard). Machine now working 3-axis control simultaneous only on linear (G01 X50. Y50. Z-50 F3000) I' need to work helical (G02 G17 X50. Y50. R25 Z-10.) On display show me error no.21
    I's posible change enny parameters to turn on helical cutting?

Thanks.
    :withstupi

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by renato13 View Post
    Hello.

I'm upgrade fanuc 3M (replaced 10 control chips on the motherboard). Machine now working 3-axis control simultaneous only on linear (G01 X50. Y50. Z-50 F3000) I' need to work helical (G02 G17 X50. Y50. R25 Z-10.) On display show me error no.21
    I's posible change enny parameters to turn on helical cutting?

Thanks.
    :withstupi
    Set your parameter 907 bit 2 to 1

Thanks for your answer. But my 3M (version of software D71-04) have only 99 parameters.

D71-04 has no helical interpolation in it

Sorry, I see this is an old thread, but I have a similiar question. I have a 1984 3M model C. It does interpolate 3 axis simutaneously, but will not do helical interpolation. Software version is D65-12. Anyone know if this version even has capability for helical interpolation?

Thanks.

Helical interpolation is usually an extra.

are you able to use G02 or G03 and define a Z end point lower than the start point ?
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*

D65-12 will not do helical interpolation.

Thank you both for the replies. Not the answer I was hoping for, but atleast I now know.
    FYI, it was the G02(or 3) and G17 with added Z value that I was trying to use, but it gives me a error code 21, "axis not included in selected plane". I'll probably end up writing a user macro to approximate with a number of straight lines, or continuing doing this in my post processor as I have been so far... Just was looking for an easy way to reduce unnecessary lines of G code since the machine will also not drip feed without a relatively expensive memory upgrade.
    Thanks!

I have such a macro for 0i control. If you are interested, I would post it here.

I have a mill with a 3M controller that I'd like to do some upgrades on. I have a few questions if y'all don't mind. What chips were replaced to make it do 3 axis simultaneous? Can this machine be drip fed? I would like to replace the whole controller and use mach3 or some equivalent for the least money, can the Fanuc servo drivers take step/dir inputs, or would they need replaced too?

Thanks guys!

As for my machine, I do not know if there were any chips replaced on it, but really doubt it. It is an old machine I bought on ebay a few years ago for dirt cheap (just needed a few minor repairs to get it back in excellent condition, I actually have more $ in the manuals than in the machine).
    Here is a link to another thread with some good information on the 3M control incase you haven't already read it. (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28027)

As far as I have been able to determine, the 3M can not drip feed, unless you upgrade the program memory. Memex and Fanuc3mdripfeed.com are the two sources I've found that offer the upgrade. You can also find the chips second hand on ebay, removed from other units no longer in service. Since I only use my machine for hobby projects, I never found it worth the investment.

Instead I modified the interface panel and wrote a program that breaks large programs into many smaller pieces (that will fit in the 8K of memory), then automatically uploads and run each file segment until all are complete.
    If you are doing any kind of production at all, probably not a good use of time or resources for several reasons. 1) my PC controls the cycle start button which some might consider a safety hazard, and 2) at 4800 kbps it usually takes more time to upload the program than it does to run it, so a complex contour cut that may only need 1 hour of actual machining time may take 4 hours to comple the seemingly neverending cycle of "upload, run, delete, upload, run......."

Good luck with your upgrade!

Mem chips

Thanks, fanuc3mdripfeed.com has exactly what I want/need. Only 3 times what I'm willing to pay for it! I'm pretty sure those chips are nowhere near that cost, anybody know what they are? My power board is currently having problems, but I should have it back from the repairman soon. I'll probably end up buying those chips if I can get a job that requires them.

Thanks again
    Nathan

My advice is stick to the Fanuc 3 control and don't retro to Mach 3.
    Although the 3 is an old control it is still a great cnc control and the Fanuc motors and hardware are super quality.
    John.