586,089 active members*
3,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

maho mh 700 p,what r they like

sorry for reposting this.... i recently posted it in the wrong section...i think!!!!
    after having a good look aroud ....this site is awsume !!!!,so much info,its mind blowing,then i find a section on maho how cool is that,...so here goes it...

hi there guys.....im a newbie here......
    ive always had a great intrest in cnc,s, and quiet conversant with manual milling machineing,techniques,etc,and working in x y z planes...and want to take the next step(may be leap)into cnc,...
    here goes then !!!.. i have the chance of purchasing a-MAHO M700P CNC MILL WITH INBUILT ROTARY TABLE WHICH SWIVALLS IN BOTH AXIS. HEIDENHAIN TNC121 CNC CONTROLLER, HORIZONTAL & VERTICAL.....it looks in great condition,and comes with quiet a bit of tooling,what they like for programing ?...can it also be used as a manual mill aswell....i also like the idea of the inbuilt rotary table, is this a good idea ..????

ive posted the pick of it below.......any kind of info and advice on this would be greatly appreciated

heres a pick of the controller aswell

do you know what year is it ,and is there anybody out there that maybe used one off these that could guide me...your advice and information would be so much appreciated please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maho.jpg   maho contr.jpg   maho1.jpg  

the mill looks to be in good condition, by the handwheels I would guess that it has a manual mode.
    The rotary table will be very handy.
    The controller, however is not very good, if it is like the tnc 131, then it is a simple point to point control.

thanks alot for your reply your a scholour and a gentleman...its much appreciated,does the point to point mean you can only (set one comand ,it then does it,then you have to set the next comand it then does it,)and so on,.......so you cannot programme it to do the( ie )part in one go continuosly!!,you have to step by step idividualy?????,am i on the right track here could you explain please,it would be most appreciated again ...percy

Percy,
    Point to point is capable of linear interpolation (movement in a straight line).
    You would not be able to cut arcs (circular interpolation), usually this kind of control will have the basic drilling cycles etc and you can program it to do a sequence of moves, as with any other control.
    It's unlikely, but if it has a RS232 port, (like a printer port) you may be able to upload cam programs which use a series of small linear moves to form an arc.
    If you contact HEIDENHAIN by email, (they have been very helpful for me) they can probably help.
    Dave

dave ..........i got the maho in the end thanks for your advice and info :cheers:
    i went onto the HEIDENHAIN web site as you stated,looking at controls etc.
    very useful it was, got me thinking about retrofiting a better control at a later date,....and so decided to search / GOOGLE'D,the controller (TNC 121) ,got myself a operating instruction manual for it aswell and found that a company had a retrofit done to the same machine , so im looking into it ,....have you any ideas on what would be a very good controller for this machine,as ill be doing a lot of custom one of a kind motorcycle parts with this machine, as it is part of my buisness custom bikes .
    percy

Percy,
    I have been using my Maho for a few weeks, and I like the build quality and engineering that has gone into it.
    In my view the control (Phillips 432) is a real wort on what is otherwise a beauty.
    Getting a good user friendly control is very important when doing a lot of prototype and one-off parts, but with horizontal and vertical spindles the control needs to be very capable, if you intend using the full potential of the machine.
    A few years ago, I did a lot prototype and pre-production parts for a local trike company.
    When you are constantly setting up for one part, if the control has to be constantly switched from one mode to another just to jog and set offsets it takes much longer and becomes frustrating.
    I used to think of the haas control as user friendly, until I spent some time using a machine controlled with emc2, now setting up the haas seems slow and tedious.
    So I will be emc2'ing my Maho, as using the 432 control makes the haas look good.
    Which is the best control for you will depend on how much you want to spend! Fagor is a good one to look into.
    How about posting some photos of your custom bikes.
    Dave

with Fagor you haven´t got any problem. Take a look the 8055 MC CNC. You can download the catalog and the manuals from fagor official web site.

Carlos

sorry(dave3431 and kcho) i didnt reply...... ive been very busy for a few days busy moving into new premises:tired:
    dave i agree these mills are built so well , and yes i will be doing a lot of one off work to,and carnt wait to have a play on it,but it will be a few weeks until things are in and organised at my new premises its like having a bag of sweets (and saying) but you carnt have any just yet..lol
    heres a link to a custom bike i painted a few months ago as im a custom painter by trade but ive had a long term idea :idea:and, will be building them shortly hopefully,.. it will be nice to be able to start a project and finish it all in house if you get what i mean ,

heres the link......... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOfTuOl4oY"]YouTube - The Inventor at The NEC Carole Nash Bike Show 2008[/ame]..... cut and paste into google, or go to utube- videos, and type in, the inventor the nec.watch in full srceen high quality mode !!!

the fagor looks a good piece of kit to
    kcho........ thanks ill go to web site as of now and dowload the manuals ,what sort off price do you think were looking at to fit to this mill do you think???as ive no idea...percy

cool! nice work percy.
    I have not priced a fagor recently, but it is the most cost effective of the true industrial quality controls, a machine with a fagor control is easier to sell and will hold it's value.
    Oh! by the way I have no connection with fagor, it's just my opinion.
    Dave