586,068 active members*
3,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: centroid

centroid

i have a m-15 control that the tech thinks the motherboard is bad, does anybody have one for sale. i am a newbee that has this mill as a spare, bought 3 years ago and is still (was in demo) mode ,seldom turned on to lube and home. turned on the other day it gives a series of beeps does nothing and the screen glows but does not go to display mode. any thoughts other than the mother board.

John,

You mentioned it was sitting for a couple of years. Chances are the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replacing. You probably need to restore the parameter settings after changing the battery. Parameter settings are sometimes difficult to track down. Do you have the manuals for this controller? I don't think you should replace the motherboard till you check on the CMOS battery. You can also look up the beep code to see what the error is.

Jack

Hi John & JDR,

Generally, a machine (or any computer) will screen (and POST) even with a dead CMOS battery. Beeps generally mean that something is loose, plugged in incorrectly or you have a hardware failure. (try re-seating the RAM, check the CPU heatsink, unplug the hard drive and a new power supply.... in that order. ). I don't know of any motherboards that produce a beep code for a dead battery. If it's just sitting there beeping at you over and over I highly doubt it's being caused by a battery issue. (though I guess it it wouldn't hurt to try)

M15 specific info.:
    The video signal on the Centroid M15 uses a TFT signal that is generated from the motherboard and there ARE settings in the BIOS to configure the motherboard for the model/brand of TFT screen or to use a standard VGA output. That said, I'm pretty sure the BIOS settings related to the TFT screens are FLASHED into the motherboard and as such wouldn't be effected by a dead battery anyway.

BTW - The screen glowing indicates that the backlight is working. Which probably means the +12VDC on the PS is ok.

Hope this helps

m-15

Quote Originally Posted by jdr View Post
    John,

You mentioned it was sitting for a couple of years. Chances are the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replacing. You probably need to restore the parameter settings after changing the battery. Parameter settings are sometimes difficult to track down. Do you have the manuals for this controller? I don't think you should replace the motherboard till you check on the CMOS battery. You can also look up the beep code to see what the error is.

Jack
    thanks for the reply, i believe the tech checked the battery, but where can i check the beep codes i believe it beeped 4 times then 1