586,624 active members*
2,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 11 678910
    It's a shame I have to throw out rumors to get an update, but if that's what it takes, so be it.....

What rumor have you been throwing out?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Just here.......that Bruce has sold out for big money and left us in the dust........

Years prior to the CNC Brain I did not take vacations, I did not take trips, I saved and worked non-stop. When launching Safeguard Robotics and the CNC Brain I had money to fund the company for years. Just as we got started the economy collapsed. Our resources were tied up in the market and in a matter of two weeks vanished.

That left me taking a position at a company and working on the Brain nights and weekends. When it was taking me a month to get done what before took a day, I tried to find a partner. A few just wanted the technology but I rejected that. I found a group that was willing to help with resources, but I did not sell out for any money.

The deal was to continue the work for the CNC community. They were to provide resources to get everything on track. This has not happened.

Safeguard Robotics is now officially closed. The CNC Brain project is also officially closed. When the fallout and lawyers are done, the technology should revert back to me.

I can't begin to express the emotions. If I were suicidal I'd nip off out back with a bullet. If I drank, I'd put on one hell of a bender. Instead I prefer to learn from my ass kicking.

I have a wonderful wife and children. They deserve credit as the have given up so much.

Thank you all for your patience and kindness.

s/Bruce

Mr. Wingfield,

You once said you wish I would fail at something so I would know what it was to be human. Well, you've waited 14 years for this moment. You now have your proof.

If the source were opened, would anyone be willing to help continue the CNC Brain as a free product?

In theory, the code could be tailored to run on other FPGA boards as long as the FPGA was large enough. There are less than 20 Brains in the field, so we will need to adapt to commercial FPGA boards.

Here are the skills needed (pick one or all):
    VHDL (Xilinx), C/C++, and Python.

Thoughts?

Bruce stand by and maybe some of the regulars will be along. You know from talking with me, I need it to turn on and off, and be accurate and repeatable!

I truly am sorry that this happened, and it is much worse than I first thought.

Does open source mean no income for you? That doesn't seem fair, though many here may disagree with me, but I have been in that bent over position by some very unsavory folks that knew I did not have the money for an action against them.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Mike, you are truly a good guy. You are appreciated.

Yes, that would mean no money for me, but I've already lost so much I'll never see it back. At this point I want to finish what I've started and provide a tool to solve machine control problems.

I'm also a bit of a fighter. When someone uses my ass kicking to offer up an open loop FPGA solution that doesn't actually solve the control problems people are having, that gets my ire up.

But the bigger picture here would be something everybody needs (inexpensive closed loop). The code is mostly there but it needs tweaks that only comes from time.

The technology is sound. FPGAs are the solution for real time systems. It is the cross disciplines that make it difficult. Also true closed loop does require physics ... you can laugh at knowledge if you choose.

Anybody have experience with the steps and license issues for open source? It's a new game for me.

s/ Bruce

Sorry to hear that Bruce. But regardless of what form this project takes, I'm still interested.

Is a possible business model providing the hardware for an open source code & interface?
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Interesting idea. As long as no one is locked into the hardware. Otherwise that wouldn't be true open source.

Sorry Bruce, I didn't mean to offend you.

Mariss

Mariss,
    No offense taken. It's just business. I still think the world of you!

But from talking with others, I'm liking the open source idea better and better. More hands, more eyes, more features, ... beyond what any one company could accomplish.

I sincerely want to help the "weekend warriors". That's how I got involved in CNC as well and still belong in that group. This could put closed loop in their hands for next to nothing.

There still can be a production version for oems and companies wanting direct support. Why not, shame to let the equipment go idle.

s/Bruce

Bruce,
    Can't find an email address for you........?

dk

Bruce,

I'd be happy to contribute by doing a board layout once the schematic is locked down. The success or failure of a circuit like this to operate reliably depends on the board having proper bypassing, supply distribution and groundplane. The result would be gerber files anyone can use to fabricate boards.

Mariss

Apologies for the snarky tone of my last post. Sorry things have turned so sour with this project.

Hopefully this is only the end of the beginning.

btw turmite, "physics engine" is a software term I associate with video games. That doesn't mean the concept is restricted to gaming.
    Well, I've already apologized.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Bruce I am curious WHAT it would take to keep it going as a commercial venture ?

Ok, back in business. I´m one of the 20 users. I try to move our institute into the linuxcnc (EMC2) direction. Maybe it´s an idea to enlarge this project and community with the ideas.

Sad to read this, but given the delays the outcome was predictable, I was really interested in using the cncbrain for a lathe retrofit. Anyway, Im sure something will happen in the future if its open sourced.

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

OK guys, if you go to CNCBrain.com, this will redirect you to some info. It's basic right now and on the wrong site, but that will get worked out.

I'll post more there as I find out.

Thanks to everyone.

s/Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brccrb View Post
    OK guys, if you go to CNCBrain.com, this will redirect you to some info. It's basic right now and on the wrong site, but that will get worked out.

I'll post more there as I find out.

Thanks to everyone.

s/Bruce
    Looks like a good start.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

brccrb has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Page 8 of 11 678910