586,106 active members*
3,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The reset switch

Hi,
    I have two questions regarding the resetswitch on the UHU controller:

1. question: Since my controllers is mounted inside a box i want to have the resetswitch on the front panel, can i wire the reset from all the controllers in paralell to one switch? I am pretty sure this should work since they all have common ground but hopefully someone else has alredy done this and can confirm that it works.

2. question: sometimes when i turn the power off the motors start to spin untill the caps are discharged, usually about two or three turns. Can i avoid this by also pulling the resetswitch low when the power is off? Or is it better to use the emergency stop? And another thing, is this normal behaviour??

regards
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    You should be able to wire them in parallel as long as they use a common ground, which you said they do.... Be carefull with this though because this basically extendes the PCB-traces without any sort of buffers in between so it might pick up noice and mess with the CPU which is not good. For this reason (and because I wanted to reset mine with a 24V signal) I used a PC817 opto-coupler for each drive, I mounted this close to the drive and then run the "LED-wires" for the opto to my "reset-signal" - works like a charm.

I've never seen any motor movement while powering down but I always turn off the motor powersupply first (it bleeds out in ~2s) and THEN the low voltage power supply. In any case, pulling the Reset-line low should prevent it, I think.

/Henrik.