586,117 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Component / Computer Interference?

Component / Computer Interference?

Was wondering if you install computer, controllers, power supplies, relays, etc. all in the same box if one would cause interference with the other.
    Planning on using the following for a 6 axis step system that I have and would like to make one nice neat package.

http://store.chassisoutlet.com/4uramochatxa.html

They stick you a little with the shipping but overall seem to have good prices.

thanks

Interference in same Cabinet:

Interference is a combination of many factors too numerous to attempt to cover in this post.

First, the computer operation can cause interference thru the 120 VAC voltage source. Also a small amount of RF energy could be radiated inside the enclosure by the computer. My recommendation is that the computer itself be outside the CNC electronics enclosure.

As far as other interference, it can come inside the electronics enclosure thru the 120 VAC power. I personally recommend an EMI/RFI filter on the incoming power source. I built my enclosure with one.

If at all possible, do NOT use a switching (switch mode) power supply. The method of operation of switching supplies creates EMI in the power source, and can also radiate some amount of RFI depending upon the switching frequency.

Keep all wiring as short as possible.

Make sure that your power supply output leads have 6 twists per foot.

Use a VERY large filter capacitor rated at approximately 2 times the power supply voltage.

use shielded wiring where possible.

Keep the power supply as far away as possible from the drive enclosures.

Have only a SINGLE ground point for the power system. Different ground points can cause ground loops which are almost impossible to troubleshoot.

Hope the above gets you started.
    Jerry

Yes, there's a high probability they will.
    Of course there are ways around this, like putting a box inside the box, or splitting the box in two separate (faraday) cages.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll use two seperate boxes just to be safe.

Harlow

I've seen a number of people do this with no problem. The real problem would be some sort of coupling through the power supplies. The other potential problem is heat, computers nowadays can generate plenty. I'm working on a system with three servos and a computer in one box, may never get it done though.