586,275 active members*
3,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: new guy

new guy

Hi I'm new to posting on this forum and a recent new owner of an IH manual mill. I picked my mill up April 2008 but just finally fired it up for the first time before x-mas. I'm not new to this forum however, I've been reading it for well over a year and it is the reason I bought an IH mill. It was also very helpful in developing my mill stand, which has a chip tray, back splash and flood cooling. When I figure out how to post pictures I will share my interpretation of the "ultimate manual mill table".

I would also like to say that my experience with Gene and Tommy has been nothing short of excellent. When I first fired up my mill I had a minor problem. Gene's service was over the top and I love my IH mill. I am completely happy with my machine and definitely recommend it.

I think I figured out the picture thing. They are my mill & stand and the first parts I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2669.jpg   100_2677.jpg   100_2853.jpg   100_2861.jpg  

100_2867.jpg  

Nice work, and nice setup.

Nice looking stand. Very well done.
    I goota get off my butt.
    Randy

Where did you get the plans for the stand? I've got a IH mill on order with the stand/base, but may end up converting the stand to something like this. I'm not planning on using coolant right now unless I just can't get a cold air gun to work properly. But I would like a somewhat contained mill to make cleanup easier.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

sdfoiler, I designed the stand myself. Its a collection of ideas from other peoples stands and cnc enclosures(all from this forum), as well as pictures of the IH shop on their website. I just figured out what I wanted and rough sketched it. I know I have the drawings around still. I will find them and give you acurate information. If I can figure out how to scan pictures into the computer, I can also show pictures from the first part of the contruction of the stand that show more details about it if that helps.

I have to agree very nice stand and tray setup. Now I'm going to have to modify my tray, looks like it would work great for keeping the chips up off the floor. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Clinton

I found my sketches for the mill stand. They are a bit rough. I just sketch, then fly by the seat of my pants. I also scanned a few pictures that show more details of the stand. As you can see it has wheels and hockey puck levelling feet. The side tray are removable so that when the time comes that I have to move the mill, it makes the stand more manoverable. Full width is 6' with side trays and 4' without. The stand does a good job of containing most of the chips, but it is open so some do get on the floor. I can't seem to get sketches or the photos with more detail to load up. So I'll try later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25-01-2009 6;59;18 PM.jpg   25-01-2009 7;00;10 PM.jpg  

Those Castor's look a lot like the ones on my tool box, soft rubber wheels, still got yrs and yrs worth of chips embedded, and never did roll very well. My shop tool box was heavy but not near what the mill is, so, I have my doubts about their effectiveness with over 1,000 lbs on it ! otherwise it looks good ! Don't forget to incorporate a sizable pan for the chips and coolant flood. then later you can incorporate a full enclosure to the pan.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Quote Originally Posted by rangergt View Post
    I found my sketches for the mill stand. They are a bit rough. I just sketch, then fly by the seat of my pants. I also scanned a few pictures that show more details of the stand. As you can see it has wheels and hockey puck levelling feet. The side tray are removable so that when the time comes that I have to move the mill, it makes the stand more maneuverable. Full width is 6' with side trays and 4' without. The stand does a good job of containing most of the chips, but it is open so some do get on the floor. I can't seem to get sketches or the photos with more detail to load up. So I'll try later.

Great stand. Well thought out. Way back when I started bringing machine tools home I thought that casters would be a great way to move the machines around a tightly packed garage. 15 years latter I always modify or make my stands have the ability to be moved buy a pallet jack.

With my knee mill (2300lbs) I made adjustable feet that would extend high enough (3 1/2 " min) to allow a pallet jack room to pick it up.

Man what a great way to move heavy stuff. I have to do the same thing on my new stand for my new IH mill. In time I will.

Evan

Cruiser, that is a good observation. The wheels are from a tool box, and your definitley right about them being at there limit. The price was right though, I had them laying around. So far they have proven reliable and since the mill doesn't get moved around alot,hopefully they remain reliable.If they give me troubles then I'll just have to use Evan's idea with the pallet jack. That's a great idea Evan, thanks.

Sdfoiler, sorry it took me so long to upload more detailed photos. Since I can't get my sketches to upload I'll just tell you my dimensions. The main stand frame is 30" wide x 30" deep x 32" high with the levelling feet. I used 2" x 2" x 1/4" wall for the frame and 2" x 3" across the frame that the mill actually sits on. If you would like any more info I'd be glad to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05-02-2009 1;23;14 PM.jpg   05-02-2009 1;23;18 PM.jpg   05-02-2009 1;23;25 PM.jpg   05-02-2009 1;26;10 PM.jpg