586,106 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Mystery Spindle Noise (watch video)
Page 1 of 2 12

Mystery Spindle Noise (watch video)

I have a 2007 VF-2, with a 10K spindle that is making some interesting noise. I caught the noise just before my warrenty was up and since then I have had the reseller replace the spindle, and motor with no change to the noise. It really sounds like it is coming from the spindle but if it was the spindle it seems like a spindle replacement would have fixed it. It makes the noise with or without a tool in the spindle.

Check out this video of the noise, and any ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pEOqhCCaE"]YouTube - Haas spindle noise[/ame]

The noise is reffered to as bearing skate noise , by the hfo. I had a 08 vf3, that did the same thing under warranty, the spindle was replaced under warranty.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

So if it is bearing skate, the new spindle they put in must have the same problem.

Yes, get a new spinflde put in, my machine had a 100 hours on and needed a spindle. Haas is well aware of the problem.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

That is fairly annoying, isn't it

Now some guys swear that the spindle will overheat with too much lube, but I'd be inclined to think that that dry sound indicates a lack of lube, if the bearings are/were actually good to start with. Do you get some visual indication of oil making it through the spindle? There should be an occasional drop or two on the spindle keys in the morning before startup. You could also remove the bottom spindle cap and see how oily it is, as some accumulation may exist there if it does not all get blown past the labyrinth.

Check for oil leaks up on the hoses from the air mist lube pump up top. Run the tests to see that oil output is correct. IMO, there is precious little oil being dipensed to the spindle, and any leaks or drop in oiler output are intolerable.

Have you tried to force an overlube condition by manually actuating the oiler a few times at the back of the machine? You can always run the excess oil out with the warmup program later, if you can get it to shut up.

On a long shot, you could also play with the belt tension to the spindle pulley just in case it is excessively tight, enough to affect the top spindle bearing (the floating bearing) somehow.

BTW, when I did my own spindle rebuild, I discovered the preload was gone on the lower bearings. So some of the noise I had could have been due to bearing race slippage there, as there was evidence of rotary wear on the end of the races where they met the preload collar.

I also installed a pair of super precision bearings up top, where one would think they are not normally required. You can't have too much precision, but you can have too much money
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

oh crap I have this exact same thing on my 2007 vf2 with 7500 spindle!!

thanks for posting this video I have been thinking that my noise was from the belt.

My mill has 275 hours and has been doing this since it was practicaly new.

Luckily I called and complained about the noise before the warranty expired.

Unfortunatley the day the tech came to check out the noise the mill ran quiet as a sewing machine, but I still have the paperwork to show this.

I will call my hfo first thing tomorrow and report back what they
    do for me.

Joe Simmers

ho ho ho , I have the same thing on my sl-20 lathe , but the service man haven`t discover any inproperties with a vibration sensor , lucky that is sounds only when the machine is cold and later it stops. oh and I see the same : is stops singing on higher RPM`s and the testing procedure from haas tell to check the spindle on maximum RPM - funny what ?

One question, if you remove the belt and run the motor the sound still there? In other machine I have a similar problem and It was the Motor´s encoder or maybe Flux motor pattern was wrong do an autotuning or adjust manualy in lower frecuencies. This could be eletrical noise it´s sound equal than a broken bearing.

Carlos

My machine (2007 VF-1, 10k gearbox) was doing the same thing a week ago.

It was *not* the spindle. It was the gearbox.

Selway has since come out and put 2 new gearboxes into the the machine. Both have been bad.

in my case the sound comes from the motor , and sounds without the belt too , it is probably the bearing.

DRD, can you please elaborate on the "bearing skate" is the bearing "slipping"?

I have this exact same noise from my 2007 vf2.

It is much worse in the morning then goes away somewhat after 2-4 hours of warmup using the mill.

I scheduled for my local hfo tech to come take a look at it, I told them when they come do it first thing in the morning.

Of course they showed up it was in the afternoon after I had ran it a few hours and I was upset that it did not make a sound while they were here.

I am trying to figure out how to explain this to my hfo so that they
    can troubleshhot this problem I am getting sick of listening to the noise.

Joe Simmers

It sounds like something is out of balance. That is why you notice the noise getting more frequent the higher the RPMS. Also notice that your load % starts going up. How do flat machined surfaces look? Are they nice and flat or not?

It sounds to me like either the shaft is turning in the bearing, or the bearing is turning in the housing.
    After it warms up, it is held better.
    I also believe that the bearing may be not as free as it should....though this point may not be true....
    There are special formulations from Loctite to keep the bearing housing from turning. Clean well both surfaces before gluing with Meths or similar.....do not touch again after cleaning.

The tech will be here in the morning to replace the spindle for the second time, I will advise on the outcome. The spindle motor was the last part to be swapped out with no improvement, a new spindle was installed before that.

The noise I am hearing does not go away after it is warm, in fact the only way to make it stop is to ramp the RPMs up to around 7000, it will make the sound consistently every time between 3000, and 6000 regardless of temperature.

I have the same noise in an 06' VF3, my HFO came out and its still in spec. Unfortunately it started making that noise a yr. outside of warranty.

Do you have dual windings, it almost seems like when it "shifts" into the higher winding that the noise goes away. If you go to the diagnostics page and look at the D:Y bit on the Lower Right side of the screen, see what rpm that changes to a 1. If the noise goes away with the change of windings then it could be a problem with the contactor, or motor windings, or wiring.

The HFO should check all your parameters to verify they are correct.

I noticed that your spindle rpm stayed constitant, so i doubt that there is any problems with your encoder assembly.

Spindle encoder

This sounds like the spindle encoder might have an issue or the gains / filters may need to be tweeked Ill talk to James about this
    Selway machine tools

Quote Originally Posted by akedward View Post
    The tech will be here in the morning to replace the spindle for the second time, I will advise on the outcome. The spindle motor was the last part to be swapped out with no improvement, a new spindle was installed before that.

The noise I am hearing does not go away after it is warm, in fact the only way to make it stop is to ramp the RPMs up to around 7000, it will make the sound consistently every time between 3000, and 6000 regardless of temperature.
    This sounds exactly like the problem I originally had the tech check out.

Tech came back on Monday morning and ran a vibration analysis. The second gearbox is bad as well, so we're on to the third new gearbox...

have the same problem on my 2008 mini mill. the tech suggested it was the spindle encoder because of the noise and the inaccurate rpm readings. part costed $250.00 and will have it installed this week. hopefully that was the problem.

If you remove the belt and put the motor to spinds at very low RPMs you must to see a jump or a difference in the shafts. What kind of spindle amplifier you have. If the encoder is not very thight in the motor shaft, you have the same problem. Or maybe the motor is to magnetizing at low Rpm, correct the V/F or Flux Parameters in the Drive.

Carlos

Page 1 of 2 12