586,043 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Novakon

Novakon

Does anyone have any feedback on the Novakon mills ?

I had narrowed it down to the Syil X4+ and a Novakon.

Since Syil has yet to respond to my purchase inquiries, I would like to know what folks think about the Novakon NM135 an NM200, pro's and con's.

Steve

I don't have one......................yet.

Quote Originally Posted by williams480 View Post
    Does anyone have any feedback on the Novakon mills ?

I had narrowed it down to the Syil X4+ and a Novakon.

Since Syil has yet to respond to my purchase inquiries, I would like to know what folks think about the Novakon NM135 an NM200, pro's and con's.

Steve
    ive seen the nm135 runnjing in person, its very nice. i have bought a mill from novakon (small kx1), and i can tell you that they are very responsive by email and helpful getting things set up.

I have the NM-134 but, I'm still learning CNC and CAD so don't ask me anything to technical yet. They are very responsive and still follow up with me from time to time to see how I'm progressing. I have photos in the gallery of my mill if you want to look at them. My mill is one of the earlier ones so it has the 3.5K spindle and 6 Y travel. the new ones have 6K spindle and 7" Y travel, but my mill came standard with the cd-100 controller which I really like and I upgraded mine with the factory installed PC inside the driver box. I'm working on adapting my CNC rotary table to the mill right now so hopefully I'll have that done this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by uptoolateman View Post
    I have the NM-134 but, I'm still learning CNC and CAD so don't ask me anything to technical yet. They are very responsive and still follow up with me from time to time to see how I'm progressing. I have photos in the gallery of my mill if you want to look at them. My mill is one of the earlier ones so it has the 3.5K spindle and 6 Y travel. the new ones have 6K spindle and 7" Y travel, but my mill came standard with the cd-100 controller which I really like and I upgraded mine with the factory installed PC inside the driver box. I'm working on adapting my CNC rotary table to the mill right now so hopefully I'll have that done this weekend.
    Let us know how the rotary table comes along.

Do you find the X travel sufficient ?

I'm thinking about adding the rotary table when I get one.

I could double the number of parts I could run by rotating 180deg.

Plus, maybe mount some lathe tools on the rotary table (laid flat) and chuck the part in the spindle (about .750 dia) and do some CNC turning if needed.

Thanks for your post.

Steve

hi Steve.
    I have also been looking into novakon.
    I have emailed back and forth with novakon and they are always responsive to my questions (hardly a wait) very professional and kind.
    cant comment on the mills, but customer service is impressive and bet this would carry on to their whole line.

looking forward to seeing this section grow. post pics! and vids!

I have a non CNC X3 as well and never had any problems with 6" of Y travel but more is always better. My CNC rotary table project is interesting because it is a Sherline rotary table that has the stand alone pendant controller. The sherline controller has the motor wired unipolar and novakon is Bipolar so I have to seperate the 2 center tap wires and use 4 of the 6 wires for half winding mode so I can use the full 2 amps the stepper is rated at and then I have to make an adapter plug to tie the 2 center taps back together so I can still use the rotary table with the Sherline controller since I still use my sheline mill and lathe quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygonzales View Post
    hi Steve.
    I have also been looking into novakon.
    I have emailed back and forth with novakon and they are always responsive to my questions (hardly a wait) very professional and kind.
    cant comment on the mills, but customer service is impressive and bet this would carry on to their whole line.

looking forward to seeing this section grow. post pics! and vids!
    I have had the same experience when asking for different configurations.
    Their sales director, Khai Uong, has responded within the hour of every e-mail I have sent. A couple were over the weekend, same response time.

Speaks volumes.

Steve

Phase 1 of my Sherline rotary table to Novakon mill adaptation is complete. I had to change out the 5 pin circular connector on the back of the mill to a 7 pin connector. A 6 pin would have been ideal but I found a 7 pin bulk head circular connector at my local surplus store that was nearly a direct fit. I split all 6 wires on the rotary table motor into the connector so I can use 4 of the wires on the Novakon in bipolar mode and I then made an adapter plug that has a matching circular connector on one side and 5 pin din connector on the other and the commons are tied back together inside the plug so I can still use my stand alone pendant controller which runs unipolar. I plugged it into the Sherline controller and it works still, but then I had one of those oh crap moments when I realized I had forgotten to put the body of the din connector onto the cable before I soldered everything together, oh well I needed more soldering practice. Tomorrow I'm buying an 18K resistor so I can change the current setting on the gecko for the 4th axis on my Novakon controller from 3 amp to 2 amp and then I can hook the rotary table up and try it on the mill.

installed the 18k resistor and plugged the rotary table into the mill and I'm now in business with a 4th axis that I can swap between the Novakon and my Sherline pendant controller. Now I just need to get some more T slot nuts to secure my A2ZCNC tooling plate to the mill table.

Quote Originally Posted by uptoolateman View Post
    installed the 18k resistor and plugged the rotary table into the mill and I'm now in business with a 4th axis that I can swap between the Novakon and my Sherline pendant controller. Now I just need to get some more T slot nuts to secure my A2ZCNC tooling plate to the mill table.
    sweet!
    we require photos!

ive got my kx1 from novakon running nicely now (though ive been chastised now on cnczone for running too fast in one of my tests). im still trying to get spindle control out of my gecko g540. john at novakon is quite helpful in this even though its not their controller. A+ for service so far

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    sweet!
    we require photos!

ive got my kx1 from novakon running nicely now (though ive been chastised now on cnczone for running too fast in one of my tests). im still trying to get spindle control out of my gecko g540. john at novakon is quite helpful in this even though its not their controller. A+ for service so far
    What's too fast ?
    In my daily travels, I see lot's of folks that could produce more parts in a given amount of time if they would just utilize radial chip thinning, smaller roughing end mills (increased rpm = more IPM), variable pitch end mills (reduced chatter), etc.,etc.

So I say if you have the HP to pull the cubes (cubic inches matl.), go for it.

Friend of mine always says, the only thing better than cubic inches, is cubic feet.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by williams480 View Post
    What's too fast ?
    In my daily travels, I see lot's of folks that could produce more parts in a given amount of time if they would just utilize radial chip thinning, smaller roughing end mills (increased rpm = more IPM), variable pitch end mills (reduced chatter), etc.,etc.

So I say if you have the HP to pull the cubes (cubic inches matl.), go for it.

Friend of mine always says, the only thing better than cubic inches, is cubic feet.

Steve
    hehe. well, in this case the fellow was correct. i has misread my feed calculator and pushed a poor 1/4" 3 flute mill at .007" feed per tooth. for side cutting the maker of the bit recomends .0015 to .003 maximum in alumiinium. what i should have been doing was deeper cuts at the correct feed which would have actually resulted in more "cubes".

i will say that the machine itself wasnt complaining much about the feed though. a little bit of chatter and a slightly rough finish were all that happened.

ANY ONE LOOKING AT A NOVAKON ...
    Anyone who is looking at a novakon my advice is to get one ..no matter what..just do it
    ..on service alone these guys rock.i got my machine in then pro 200 holy #$%^& what a monster.. hooked all up and made an electrical error my fault totally ..and what do you think they said...again holy #$%^&*..they said Bob (that's me) don't sweat a thing we got you ..so i have a package coming next day air to replace the part (my fault) wow that's how you do business ..about the machine ..if you get the 200 series all i can say is i hope you got a place for all the wood because this thing comes packed to the hill...and if you are just a regular guy you are going to need a lift of some sort to get the machine on its stand.( i used a engine hoist )The machine as machines go is fine its not a Haas or an okuma or milltronics.but i will say this it will out perform a B.porty with a bunch of stuff slapped on it.

I've got a NM-135, And I must say it's a very nice machine. Powerfull, Fast when you want it to be, Dead-on in repeatability, Smooth running. While I will admit I have had a few glitches since my purchase, over all I'm very very happy. Novakon as a vendor has been Top Notch. Prior to my purchase I did alot ( And thats an understatement ) of research and talking to vendors. Hands down you cannot beat the communications factor you will get from Khai, which is very important when making a purchase of this magnatude. He is very good at keeping you in the loop. I compaired it to the other "S" companies with simular offerings and could not deny that the NM-135 was the best bang for the buck. I have been working on a full review of the mill. At the moment I have a couple of glitches which I will cover in full detail in my review. But it has not hindered my opinion.

I purchased the Mill only version 2 and built my own controller with Gecko 203V drivers and Kellyware hardware / software package. Anyone wishing to do the same is welcome to contact me for advise and assistance.

If you are looking for a solid bench mill with muscle to do the job.

Buy a Novakon.

I'm a proud owner.
    Michael

Hello

I bought a NOVAKON NM-135 , great machine i like the speed 6000 rpm ,precision how about .0002 would not part with it .

At the beginning had small problems with it but Khai solved them in a jiffy can not thank him enought .

I usually work at top speed ,small cuts high feed and it works like a charm .

the only thing missing was a misting coolant delivery system that i bought from a friend it cleans the chips away from the part and delivers a nice cool mist to the tool no messy coolant to clean.

Marcel Beaudry