586,076 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC15 error #3 motor overload (Z)

VMC15 error #3 motor overload (Z)

Hello, It's been awhile. I've been waiting for a servo to come back from CNCservo.com. Don't get me started on that! Anyway, I bought this machine in October at a plant closing auction. When I would try to jog it, (any axis) I would get a motor overload alarm, and it e-stops itself. The motor is trying to move since the column would lower an inch or two. I spoke with a technician/employee at the acution and he said he had swapped boards around and felt like it was in the Z motor so he was going to send it for repair, but his boss said don't spend the money, the plant is closing. I removed the motor and a local motor shop shop sent it to Cncservo.com. They rewound the motor, lost my resolver and cover, I got to pay for a new resolver, they tested the motor and sent it back.

I finally got around to running wire to the machine/phase converter. Tested voltages etc. Pressed CNC power, got power to the control. Tried to jog (z), column went "up" an inch or two, "error #3 motor overload", did that several times, and nearly got it to the CS position. I'm able to rotate the ball screw by hand to raise/lower the column. I have blinking led's on the control boards, and solid red lights on the servo amps. I'm able to see that the LED's on the amps briefly turn green before it e-stops.

Then next thing I'm going to try is swapping the boards and see if I can get the problem to move.

Could it be there is a problem with a different axis, but Z is the 1st one it tries to move so it is the 1st alarm to show-up? Obviously, the motor is doing something since it is able to get the colum to move when I press Jog. It's seems like a "runaway" situation, but it stops itself.

Yes, these are glentek servos!

Thanks in advance.

Tim in Wisconsin

update - hoping for some help on VMC15!

Last night I confirmed the wiring to the z axis by comparing it to the x axis. When the previous owner put it back together he had the (2) tach wires mixed up so I changed that on the (z). No change, still get some movement on z when I press jog for any axis, and then get motor overload on z plus error #3 (runaway condition detected...) I swapped z and y amplifiers, nothing changed. I swapped motor leads (at the amp) for the Z, no change. (Apparently, the previous owner had done this - red/black didn't match the 3/4 numbers like the other amps).

I have reseated all the control boards, tightened screw terminals on the amps. Reseated the plugs on top of the amps.

I do have blinking red leds on the control boards.

I briefly see green on 1 or 2 of the amps, and then they go to red. All 4 axis have red leds and then they eventually shut off.

Tonight, I'm going to home all the axis (by hand) and see if that does any thing.

I'm going to swap x and z motors.

I'm going to try to run the motors not connected to the ballscrews to eliminate any mechanical binding.

I'm going to verify continuity in the motor cables (should have done earlier)

Is there anything on the diagnostic screens that may help?

I'm running out of "part swapping" ideas to get the problem to "move" so I can isolate it.

I'm hoping to get some help from someone.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Tim I got your email did you try swapping axis amp boards?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

It could also be that Z axis motor you were having issues with. I know a few others that didnt have any luck after having someone else rebuild their axis motors. You may also have a bad card in there. I would first swap the axis cards and see what happens from there. IIRC there is a procedure for testing the voltage. If you can give Kmac.com or 208-855-9426
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

I did swap Y and Z. No change. Swapped motor leads on Z, no change.

A man at Fadal said to look for 1.8vac at resolver connector/control board.

Verify that all eproms match.

Verify J4 jumpers on control board.

That's it for now. Got to take a boy to the Doctor.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Tim

Machine is working now-newbie mistake??

Probably a newbie mistake or confusion since the machine was bought disabled. I removed the z motor, and left the wires attached. (I reswapped the tach leads since they are supposed to be wired different from X&Y). I jogged a couple times, motor ran, moved X&Y and then I was able to jog all axis. I think the table was at a -Y limit, and that might have been part of the problem. Maybe that shouldn't affect it, but the machine is moving, doing tool changes, spindle turning, etc. A axis was giving some errors so I unplugged it. I need to work on that. A friend came over and created a program, and it seemed to work fine. Didn't make any chips because we only had one endmill and no clamps!

Thanks again,

Tim

Re: VMC15 error #3 motor overload (Z)

I had this identical problem, the only difference is that we had this VMC15 for a while, the original motor on z axis was a Reliance electric motor and we were replacing it with a Glentek MTR-0002. The problem for us was that the wires on the previous motor were Red and Black, we originally matched Red to Red, Black to Black. But they were actually reversed. Red to Black, Black to Red connection fixed the error #3 problem. The machine is working just like it was before the Reliance motor went bad.
    Although the 6 pin connector on the VMC15 and on the MTR-0002 were same, yellow/white and red/white wires were switched had to be swapped at the connector to make some of the errors go away, prior to error #3.

Re: VMC15 error #3 motor overload (Z)

There are several combos for tach..ect wiring. You have 6 possibilities and most motors are setup differently than the machines are actually wired.